HybridZ

driveshaft length?

Guest cantstopdriftin

Guest cantstopdriftin

wanted to see if anyone can answer a question. im getting ready to put a 350/700r4 setup in my 76 280z and i wanted to see if anyone knows the driveshaft length with this setup. i kind of want to order the driveshaft and have it ready next weekend when i do the swap.

thanks, wes

You really want to set the engine/tranny in the car and measure the distance after you're satisfied with the placement. Each car can be a little different depending on how far back you put the engine.

Wheelman

Good advice... 24 sounds a little long. My jtr 327/ t-5 is 19 3/4 inches and my msa 350/ th-350 is 21 5/8

Guest cantstopdriftin

if a shop can have it ready in a few hours then i guess that isnt too bad, ill just have to call some shops and see how backlogged they are. i just cant see myself waiting a few days once that motor is in there. thats like worse then when your 6 and you have to stare at christmas presents under the tree all month long, its just torture. if anyone reads this from sacramento and knows of a good driveline shop, please chime in.

Have you actually measured the length from the tranny slip yoke to the differential flange yet? If not then you may end up spending more money and time having the shaft built a second time if it turns out wrong.

My LT1/T5 combo in the JTR position (could go back another 3/4") needs a 19 1/2" shaft so 24" seems too long even if the engine is in the Scarab position.

How are you planning on mounting the engine? JTR, MSA or Scarab

Wheelman

I agree 72zcar - 24" does sound a bit to long. My 1971 240Z, JTR 327 with a T-5 is 19 1/4" inches (because I slotted the JTR motor mount plates).

So, when you can get the engine and trans installed, just measurement the distance and then go to the driveshaft shop.

I have JTR setup with T5, motor mount holes are slotted as above also. I put adapter yoke in position, slid front of chev driveshaft into transmission and measured universal joint center to center...mine came in at 19 1/4....measure twice cut once as the carpenters say. My shaft was cut, new quality chev yoke welded in to replace the press in/welded factory end, balanced, new unversals installed and back in my hands in about an hour while I watched. John

Guest Blazer406
wow..no one listened to me. 24" wasnt the length of my driveshaft. it was the distance between my 700R4 and R200.

It happens that away sometimes......

My wife complains of the exact same thing.....hehehehe

I call it selective hearing...... :twak:

Guest whyme

On my 71 with lt4 r200 center cap to center cap 17 1/8 was length .This is with jtr setup all the way back about 1" btween wall and head. Still tight should have done 16 3/4 . I sent you a pm because server was slow to verify account.

Frank