HybridZ

Round gasket on square exhaust?

pjo046

Hi!

Well, I got some parts from MSA, and of course they had managed to give me a intake/exhaust gasket with round exhaust ports, although I specifically stated I had a P90 head with square exhaust ports. So, the question is this, can I use this gasket and just trim the round ports to fit the square exhaust outlets? Or is this a bad thing to do, as the gasket will some not fit snug with the outlet, but be a bit away from it on the center of the flat sides?

You see, if I am to send the gasket back to MSA and wait for a new one, that will take forever as I live in Norway, and the shipping takes quite a while.

Please advice on this!

PS: I will be running a high boost application

But since there will be some room between the edge of the gasket and the port, can this cause some sort of turbulence, which will cause a restriction? Or perhaps make it easier to get an exhaust leak? You see, If I trim the corners to fit the square ports, the middle on the sides will still be a bit to wide, so that the gasket don't even with the port. It's a bit away if you know what I mean. But your sure this isn't a prob?

• 2 years later...

I haven't forgotten Paul! LOL I just haven't put a big priority on finding those receipts. maybe tomorrow after Jury Duty...

I'll get them to you.

What ever happened to the Flushseal Plugs? Did those taps and plugs work out for you?

What you might want to try is the Graphite Composite Turbo Exhaust Manifold Gasket. It has "octagon" style ports on the exhaust, but will work on either the Square Port or Round Port Heads equally well. And due to the graphite nature of the gasket, it slips and allows the manifolds to expand and contract as needed during warmup and cooldown---while sealing well all the while. Due to it having a metal reinforcement in the layers of graphite, it is very blowout proof, and can also be an absolute BEAR to trim to oversized ports.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi!

Haven't been around for a while, been busy rebuilding a house, progress with my studies and working part time at two pharmacies. :)

The flushseal plugs worked out fine. They we're a tad small, so they felt a bit loose(narrow grooves after tapping due to the hole being a bit big), but I used lots of loctite.

As for the gasket, I ended up getting a new one from MSA with square exhaust ports. It was one of those with metal reinforcement, so it was a struggle to trim it to oversize ports. :)

I haven't worked on the engine for a while now. The last thing I tried to do was installing the oil dipstick. First then did I realise that the crank scraper didn't have a hole for it. So I need to do a few things over again. :(