HybridZ

Old IMSA Z flare / body kit

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not find anyone selling them new but sets and cars come up for sale if you keep your eyes peeled.

I have found one and a half sets myself here in northern California. There are many variations I have seen

in shape and width. Your son sounds very deserving and I wish you luck. Here are a few photos for motivation.

v8imsaflare.jpg

1154IMSA_flares-med.jpg

This Frisselle Z picture at Laguna Seca is by Hybrid member RacerX

normal_FriselleZcar-RRSV.jpg

gnose.jpg

bsrIMSA.jpg

This black one is owned by a Hybrid member and might be for sale. Can’t remember.

xdfrgc.bmp

Guest Slow Z

hey Oldestzguy i was just wondering if you remembered what size wheel and tire you used with those flares along with what kind of suspensino mods you ahd to do TIA

Drew

Arizona Z Car sold his molds so I don't think he is doing much in the fiberglass world right now. I do know where you can get a set that look like this.

http://www.desertzassociation.com/membersrides/danny/pic/pic21.jpg

That picture is of the first mock up of the prototype they are looking much nicer now. You can email me direct for status.

WOW!! Someone who actually read the rules prior to their first post!!! Well done Ol' Chap!!

Anyways, there is a Company in Ohio that bought all of Az Z car's molds. I posted the info a while back in the non tech forum. Unfortunately I deleted the email they sent me from my inbox.

If all else fails, you could always build your own set from scratch.

Good luck, and well done with raising your kid the right way.

Tim

[edit] Here is the info on the new Company that bought the molds [/edit]

Well, that was very productive. What a website. Looks like I have already identified them, found at least one set for sale, located who has the current molds, and some great pictures of them. Believe it or not, the Z I built before (actually about 30 years ago) was stock (other than Mustang II rack and pinion power steering, Nissan SX power outside mirrors, Olds Cutlass tilt column, and Racing gas filler flip cap) as I was not into really technical autos then. Larry Cole now has a picture of it he will be trying to post here for me somewhere. I used wheel adapters (1 ") (yuck) and 10" wheels in the back with 8" in the front. You will be able to see in the picture that I had a good two inches of space left for wider wheels in each flare which annoyed me terribly. Flares should be filled up. What I want to build now is similar to the gray one posted here in these pictures. One that looks "all business". Might be able to use 13" or 14" in the back with the right hubs and 12" in the front.

At the risk of losing your respect immediately I will offer this story. I remember going to the Paul Revere 250 overnight race in Daytona a hundred years ago (that is the race that was the night before what used to be called the "Firecracker 400") which is now the Pepsi 400, I think.) At any rate, I pulled the car through the tunnel going to the infield (I had a friend (Bob Lapp) racing a Z in the night race and therefore had a pit pass) and came upon what seemed like hundreds of Z cars. Turns out it was the national Z club annual meeting or something. A few of the guys that seemed to be in charge ran up asked me to lead the parade lap before the night (IMSA) race (because mine was the most outrageous looking)..I turned them down and have regretted it ever since. I was afraid that being stock (and pretty tired), it would not be able to handle the banking on the curves etc. Sorry guys, next time I will be the first on the track. My son, still cannot believe I did not do it.

I would, of course, never hope for this, but would it not be unbelieveable if my old car (25 or thirty years ago) was still around somewhere. The last owner I know about would be about 65 now and bought it as a present for his son who was graduating from Auburn university via a wrestling scholarship. The Bob Lapp connection happened quickly; maybe the car is still around !!!

Guest el240z
hey Oldestzguy i was just wondering if you remembered what size wheel and tire you used with those flares along with what kind of suspensino mods you ahd to do TIA

Drew

Hey Slow Z the car I own right now has the same body as Oldestzguy and my wheel combo is 15X10 up front with 285's and 15X13 in the back with 345's. These wheels are the old BBS that came with the car when I bought it. I also feel that I can fit a 15X14 in the back right now considering my tires are sunking in about 2". The fronts are pretty flush and have a very nice look. Eventually I will sell the wheels and go 17X8's up front and 17X12s in back but right now I'm happy with them. Also Oldestzguy your Z looks amazing, I wish I had power-steering for my car because those 15X10's can really get hard to turn some times. On a side note I have no spacers on the car with stock 4-lug pattern.

El

Hey el240z, I would love to see a picture of your car. It sure looks like you knew what you were doing with wheels more than I did. By the way, everyone, the set of flares that I thought I had found were not the right ones. I am still looking if you see any. thanks,

Guest el240z
Hey el240z, I would love to see a picture. It sure looks like you knew what you were doing more than I did. By the way, everyone, the set I thought I had found were not the right ones. I am still looking. thanks,

Oldestzguy actually I bought the car with the fenders and wheels all installed with the taillights converted to 280z lights in the back. So far the only thing I have done to this car is sanded it down and have it stored at a friends body shop until I have time to finish up the bodywork with his help of course. I actually think there is a post on my car somewhere here I'll dig it up for you, so you can see how it looks. This Z is going to be a life time project so I'm taking my time and making sure I do everything right on this car. I actually saw another car on Craigslist a couple months ago that had the same body as mine with no interior or engine and the guy only wanted 3K for it, buts thats irrelevant now but I hope you find the fenders for your son.

El

Guest el240z
Hey el240z' date=' put me on your list of folks who want to buy your wheels when you sell them. Here are some pics of your car when it was on Craigslist. I have a few cd's full of IMSA pics.

[/quote']

Thanks for posting the pics of my car zlalomz. It basically the same except that there is no paint on her anymore. Also zlalomz when I decide to sell my wheels you will be the first person I go to.

Thanks again El

It seems everyone has these flares but me. Zlalomz, how much would you charge me for copies of the cd's with pictures you were speaking of. Also, if you don't mind, where is Craigslist?

El240z, you have the type car I am looking for. Everything there but, because it is not finished yet, it is available to be customized to my own taste. If you see another one around in this condition, please let me know. In addition, if you want to sell yours, I might be interested in the car, and would sell the wheels to Zlalomz and the Gnose to someone else; or you could do the same beforehand.

To everyone else, I will not be using a gnose and the front flares that go with the IMSA kit I am looking for are really full fiberglass "flared" bolt on fenders.

Many thanks

I will bribe the IT guys here at work to copy the pictures. No charge from most likely the secondoldestzguy to the oldestzguy. And thanks El240z for the place in line for the wheels. I still say someone should make moulds and try and make a side business with these flares. Also, I heard ebay just bought craigslist....is this a bad thing?