HybridZ

Old IMSA Z flare / body kit

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the offer 280zen

If I can locate a donor car and these big flares I am looking for; I am definitely going to join.

When that happens (I am working on one deal right now) I will contact you for the next meeting.

thanks, John

I have been looking for a set of these flares as well, with no real luck. I have seen pics of Bob_H's car (any updates bob?) and that's what I'd really like to find.

datsun7.jpg

datsun6.jpg

datsun10.jpg

Please let me know if anyone finds a similar kit for sale.

Late last year while perusing the web for Z info I located Arizona Z car. I talked to Dave and he emailed me pictures of what I think were the exact same flares and fenders I was looking for and said he could make me a set. I think he had a Gnose also. Since then, this week, I found out from 280zone that Dave at Arizona Z had sold his molds to Dan who owns a powdercoating business. I called him and he told me he purchased over 100 molds from Dave at Arizona Z and had them in storage. He also told me that when the weather gets better, he is going to look at all of them and see which ones to keep. Someone else told me, I can't remember who, that they thought the molds for these flares (that Arizona Z had) were of low quality. Dan (powdercoating guy) told me that if that is the case, he would probably improve them and make some sets to sell. It is my feeling that there seems to be a lot of interest in these flares so maybe we could all get together and make it worth Dan's effort to produce us some. He seemed like a great guy. By the way, that purple Z is exactly what I want to build, less the Gnose to make it shorter, stumpier, and more aggressive.

Just received an email from Dan (the powdercoating guy that owns what I think are the right molds from Arizona Z car) and he said he does not mind people contacting him at dmsv8@netzero.net He said he needs six orders to make it worthwhile to produce the flares. If you want these, please contact him and tell him your wishes. I just sent him a note asking about the front flared fenders (these have not been mentioned by him yet),as well as, the quality, and the price of the total package. I will keep you guys posted when I hear back. Otherwise, contact him yourself as well.

Ok, lot of posts but now I have finally reached a result. Dan, the aforementioned guy above (powdercoating) will make as little as six sets of rear quarter panels (huge IMSA flares as seen in these pictures) for $400 per set INCLUDING SHIPPING IN THE CONTINENTAL US. This does not include the front fiberglass fenders as yet, only the rears. He owns a bodyshop and has made these before and actually has a set of them on his own car as well. He also has some front fiberglass flares he might mold onto a set of fiberglass fenders but we are just in the talking stage on that right now.

If any of you want a set; please contact him at the email above and let him know.

Dan is not a powdercoating guy, he is a paint and body shop owner here in AZ. He would also like to remind everyone that these flares have been configured for his car that has been back halved and fitted with a Ford 9" rear end. He is also not sure of the end cost for the package.

Dan stays pretty busy at work so he doesn't get to visit here much so i thought I would add what I know about this topic.

we might be interested in a set. we need a measurement though on how much wider out from the stock edge the flare actually is. we were gonna go with bolt on flares and came to fingdout it was only about an inch more in outside width gained which aint gonna cut it for a 10-12 inch rim.

lol, like Speeder's car and avatar arent mean enough already....! that will be something to see when it is done. I am interested also, but cant commit that soon... hopefully this works out and will be available down the road as well.

tannji

Ok, I just talked to Dan today (dmsv8) and this is what he told me. He thinks the powdercoating guy is also named Dan and that he bought the big molds from Arizona Z but is located in Ohio. This Dan owns a body shop (which I knew) and lives in Phoenix. The confusion started by the same names and the fact that he has built and cleaned up molds for Arizona Z even though they were eventually sold elsewhere (Dan in Ohio). Because of this, he got a set of the flares and put them on his car and has the knowledge and facilities to create a mold of them and make duplicates for us if he eventually makes that decision based on the interest level here. He still says his target price, including shipping is $400 and wants me to continue to use that figure. We all know it could change when he actually begins the project, if he does, and we all also know that changes in price usually go higher, not lower. 280zone is an actual live friend of his in the same town so if anything he says goes against what I am saying in this forum; I would defer to him as he should have the lastest or most accurate information compared to mine. Dan said he has already received emails and calls with interest; so keep it up and lets make it worthwhile for him if we can. Also he wants everyone to know that he has altered the outside edge of the wheel opening of the flares to accommodate huge (tall) tires because his car is tubbed, etc., and that a little fibergalss might have to be added to conform to your own wheels.

Yes, you are so right; and now let's find the full front fiberglass flared fenders that came with these and the gnose as a kit. I've also learned that if you go to the home page, select Albums, select Member's Galleries, then go to the page where you find dmsv8 and click on that, you will see Dan's flares.

By the way, Zlalomz, who has the set in your photos?

The red front fenders fit my 16x12 wheels with 5 inch backspacing. They came with the black 280z Ibought with the rear flares too. No G-nose. They are unique with the little mud flap like 70's Corvettes. My guess is they were a street version sold. The fit and finish is excellent. The white front fenders I bought from 70's endurance racer Bob Lapp and are a rougher fit. They will only allow 10 inch wide wheels with 5 inch backspacing. The width difference was discussed in an older thread. There was a rules change limiting wheel width on the Z's so the Porsches could catch up!

backimsa.jpg

1154MVC-019F-med.jpg

e912.jpg

2930.jpg

I have tried to get people interested in making a mold with no luck. After reading Terry Oxendales posts on fiberglass I am going to give it a shot when the rain stops. The shipping costs would kill you though with us on opposite coasts plus the red flares do not have the front lip that matches the g-noses I have seen.

The red front flares are exactly what I want. 12" wheels in the front and 14" in the rear. Don't worry about the shipping costs, my wife only has two jobs right now. Where did you find those four bolt 12" wheels? When I did my old Z there were only one set of 4 bolt wheels even 10" wide I could find. By the way, I am not going to do a gnose. Thanks

I believe, in the old days, in Florida, Bob Lapp and I (I was a customer of his) got these as a kit (I think he had the gnose on his race car) from a now defunct company called: Z Accessory Products.

Wow 2 jobs. My wife only has one...hmmm honey I need more car parts. Nope that won't fly.

The wheels I bought from http://www.midatlanticmotorsport.com/ are Panasport C8's. Any 3 piece wheel can be made to your offset, width and bolt circle. The Panasports max out at 12 inches wide.

I am going to try to mold just the flare portion in fiberglass to attach to trimmed steel fenders. A complete fiberglass fender mold plus the inner liner which is a seperate mold is beyond my skills I am certain. If that works out I will let you know. Do keep looking though because these IMSA style cars pop up once in awhile.

Guest dmsv8

I put up a few more shots of my quarter panels.From the body line down to the wheel opening is 13 in. From middle of front axle to the front of the wheel opening is 77 and 5/8ths. From the middle of my front axle to the middle of rear axle is 92 and 1/2 inches. The rear wheel opening is 30 inches. Any questions feel free to email me. dmsv8@netzero.com