HybridZ

Old IMSA Z flare / body kit

Looks as if these flares are a bit bigger than what I need, and not quite the shape I expected (tapering in on front and back of the wheel well more than I like - They appear to have more of this taper than Oldestzguy's pics).

Reaction Research 280YZ rears are the best looking to me right now.

I was hoping to find rear flares that don't require rework of the gas door, but I'm now resigned to doing that.

Sorry to drop out guys - good luck!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the seventies. After pulling my car out of six paint shops, the car was finally painted correctly by a hobbiest (sp?) in his one car garage with a sheet thrown over the washer/dryer so his wife wouldn't get upset. He did the candy color stripes like a pro. If you look, closely you can see the stripes on the outside mirrors, as well as, the T shapped hood scoop and the front of the whale tail. We did not seem to have too many good painters here then or now like the guys out west do. I am considering using Dan in Arizona to do all of my bodywork/paint even though I am in Orlando. My only problem is that I am a bodyshop groupie and would miss "visiting" the car.

• 3 weeks later...

first,zlalomz, i want to buy your front and rear sets, second, bob_h car was put together as some sort of wierd homologation of crap by the previous owner, if he posted a close up, the rear fenders are actually cut, and last time i saw that car in person, u could cut your hand on the rough edges of the inner edge of the fender. i think cleve and steve huetter (cars builders) modified an older imsa flare, cutting, re shaping, and remolding. if would be very difficult to duplicate i would bet.

zlalomz, I would be interested in front and rear sets if you make them also. I have five Z cars now, (three are actually only complete parts cars), but I am even thinking about two Z V8 cars now. One for me and one for my son. Let me know if something breaks on this as I have to drive from Orlando to Minnesota with a trailer so maybe you could ship them to a middle spot (hybrid member) and I could pick them up on that trip. Thanks, John

i think cleve and steve huetter (cars builders) modified an older imsa flare, cutting, re shaping, and remolding. if would be very difficult to duplicate i would bet.

Some one should try to make molds of bob_h's fenders. They look perfect.

Some one should try to make molds of bob_h's fenders. They look perfect.

Perfect is relative.

The comment about the rough cut on the fenders and cutting your hand was true. It was a great looking car from 10-15 feet. The up close items were fairly minor....

The car is no longer purple, but Copper. It will be a few weeks before I can post some pics, but besides changing the color, lots of body work was done to include adding a proper lip to the fenders.

Turns out it looked like the body work was done very well because with all of Cleve's racing/tracking the fiberglass had not cracked where it was attached. But as they dug into it to sand it down, they had done things like dump bondo anywhere things didn't match up. They figure something like 10+ lbs of bondo was on the car and well concealed.

So hours and hours of labor later, it now looks amazing. It really needs to be seen in person. If you are ever down here in Norfolk, VA or in the area, shoot me an e-mail and come see the car. I'll have it back up here in a few weeks as it is down at my parents in South Carolina.

And the guys who did it are real stand-up guys as they didn't change their orginal price with all the additional work. When I post the pictures/etc.. I'll post their contact info. If you have to know yesterday who they are, you don't have the time to leave your car for them to do it right. :)

I finally uploaded those pics to my hybridz album. You can see the old turbo-tom setup and the car I mocked up the RB26 into.

Here is another shot for our pleasure:

dynoplot.jpg

I want it, and I want it now!

Congrats on the exact look we are looking for. As far as copper goes. Is it the new GM metallic color? I painted a car with that color with white around the bottom and white wheels and it looked fantastic.

By the way, would you mind telling me what wheels and tires are on the car in that last picture?

Thanks, John

The wheels are Complete Custom wheels and tires are 335/35-17 in the rear, and 275/40/17 in front (Kumho?) if memory is correct. Bob _H , can correct. When Cleve put the car up for sale, he had it parked at his car wash/detail shop around the corner from my office. Bob_H bought a nice car, with a few rough edges, but I want to see the finish product as well.

He got it right. The slicks are on 18's vs the 17' in the pictures. The specs are 17x10 and 17x12 for the "street" rims and 18x11 and 18x12 for the race rims.

I used to have the exact backspacing, but needless to say you can find that info here on hybridz,(not by me). The car has coil-overs and they just fit and several here have put similar rims on their car with coil-overs and posted their backspacing.

For the Copper color, no it is not the Chevy color,(I belive Sunburst orange). I did look at it, but changed my mind as it looks plain on a cloudy day. The color was an obscure Renault color from the 90's. I went through all the paint colors in their selection and sprayed three on the hood to see what I wanted. This stood out as the clear winner. It has a slight turquoise tint as some green is in the color. I'll post some pictures once the car gets back up here.

-Bob

The wheels are Complete Custom wheels and tires are 335/35-17 in the rear, and 275/40/17 in front (Kumho?) if memory is correct. Bob _H , can correct. When Cleve put the car up for sale, he had it parked at his car wash/detail shop around the corner from my office. Bob_H bought a nice car, with a few rough edges, but I want to see the finish product as well.

By the way, I see that you have the little Z insignia on the rear sides of the roof removed, which is what I want to do. Did you switch to an older hatch so the air could escape a different way when you close the hatch. I understand the later Zs had the little opening built into the Z roof side insignias and the earlier Z's had the big grilles at the surface/bottom under the hatch glass for this same purpose. Are any really necessary?

Oldestzguy,

belated welcome and glad to see another "senior" Z enthusiast in Orlando. Hope you plan on joining us on the weekend of 9/11 for the event at Reynolds, GA, whether you have a Z running or not. See the post on SEZ in the Motorsports/Events forum.

To show how far I and my last Z go back, the flares were an original ZAP product, later copied by everyone.

Everybody check out the completed IMSA flared Z car from Tennessee that is for sale on Ebay under: Datsun Z (ebay motors) . These are the flares we are all looking for. It is just like I wanted except for the Z engine. Hope someone here buys it.

Is it just me or are the rear quarter panel flares on this Z merely Ford stepside pickup fiberglass stock fenders (maybe dually). Kind of outrageous whatever they are. If they are Ford pickup, or GM, etc. that would make them about $100 for a perfect set in a salvage yard. They could be done like the old Jim Cook Racing type squared off flares (in back) that had the vent screen at the rear of them. I also think the JCR set with the front squared off flares were just additional Z metal fenders welded on the original front fenders of the car leaving a space to the rear for matching venting with the rear ones. I think the kit was made from molds of these. Maybe another set of these "Ford" flares would work for the front as well. I don't know if I like this look yet, but it is starting to grow on me because of the price. Lose the wing might help. If you know what these are, let me know.

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3556&cat=500&page=2

My thanks to zlalomz for these pictures, as well as, many others.

Oldestzguy,

Thanks for posting the info on the ebay car with the imsa bodykit. In reading the seller information about the car, the one thing that stuck out was the availibility of the 345/35/15 Pirelli tires for the rear (although expensive) is viable option for a vintage flared Z. I was reading some past posts, and two in particular had pictures of Z's with Porsche 930 flares on the rear and found three companies that make fiberglass for Porsches.

http://www.9xauto.com look under racing body panels

http://www.rennspd.com look at 930 or 911 RSR Flares and bumpers.

and American International Racing

I have also look at Pantera Group 4 flares, however, in my head I can not see the body lines matching up as i look at a Z, and then look at a Group 4 Pantera.

The one thing I know about the Porsche flares, is depending on the width of the rear tires, there is enough of a flat radius to extend the fiberglass or reduce depending on the width of the tires. This is a flare option I am thoroughly researching.

Another hybrid member posted a link to pictures of this car:

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=3094&cat=500

He also indicated he had the flares like these for sale, in steel rather than fiberglass, but i do not think he was in the states.

There is another photo i posted in the photo albums to give you better idea of how the Porsche 930 flares look.