HybridZ

Old IMSA Z flare / body kit

That yellow Z with the Porsche flares looks very very classy. These flares are a viable candidate. I also, have researched the steel, as well as, fiberglass Porsche flares and was almost sold except for the rear valence/bumper area, etc. I would love to talk to the owner of the yellow Z to see if he could explain exactly how he accomplished the rear valance area.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or are the rear quarter panel flares on this Z merely Ford stepside pickup fiberglass stock fenders (maybe dually). Kind of outrageous whatever they are. If they are Ford pickup' date=' or GM, etc. that would make them about $100 for a perfect set in a salvage yard. They could be done like the old Jim Cook Racing type squared off flares (in back) that had the vent screen at the rear of them. I also think the JCR set with the front squared off flares were just additional Z metal fenders welded on the original front fenders of the car leaving a space to the rear for matching venting with the rear ones. I think the kit was made from molds of these. Maybe another set of these "Ford" flares would work for the front as well. I don't know if I like this look yet, but it is starting to grow on me because of the price. Lose the wing might help. If you know what these are, let me know.

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3556&cat=500&page=2

My thanks to zlalomz for these pictures, as well as, many others.

If you can find photos of the white Primadonna kit you will see the correct rear flares. I have been on the hunt for them for quite a while for my vintage racer.

Dr. Allan Robbins in the North East may have a line on some molds for the Sharp set. He has a fleet of x Sharp cars and the Fitzgerald #38 Z Car which is chassis # 006.

The white Primadonna car was for sale last year iin Tennesse. Still kicking myself for not grabbing that one.

From what has been found from nosing around, the Primadonna molds have been disposed of.

Les at Classic Datsun has some molds and will make a set. You will remember writing the check. The quality is very good though.

Going this route will be expensive no matter which set you use.

Good luck,

Alan

Oldestzguy,

The hybrid member was "Z Kid" he had a link to information on how the Porsche flares were installed on the Z. What i have found out about the rear valence or bumper is two processes. First, the Porsche guys wanting to convert a regular 911sc to Turbo body already have a bumper, so they only have to buy the flares and bumper extension that goes from the rear of the flares to the bumper. This extension costs from $100 to $300.00. Second, process involves buying a whole rear fiberglass bumper (11 inch). Finding the fiberglass extensions has been difficult, a majority of the Porsche shops only sell the bumpers made to fit with the turbo flares. The steel flares are out there as well, but my skills are limited to fiberglass !!!!

Drsideways,

I have pictures of BSR #33 car (the car in "How to Hotrod and Race Your Datsun"). If Classic Datsun has molds to that bodywork of the Sharp/Newman car, I might have to take out a equity line loan or do a second mortgage and write out the check !!!!

Oh yes, it is all coming back; Bob Sharp Racing, Bob Lapp, Paul Newman, Peter Gregg (Porsche - Suicide ?), Daytona, etc.

About NINE months ago I had actually seen a picture of a set of these IMSA flares on the Arizona Z website. I called him (Dave) and he told me that he had the molds for them as well. I did not make a decision to go ahead and start my hybrid Z project until a month or so ago so I called him back and he told me he had sold the molds (and a boatload of other stuff) to a guy named Dan who has a powdercoating business who he thought was a member of this site and might be Canadian, I don't know. This Dan should not be confused with the Dan that has a set of these flares on the rear of his own Z car, has posted on this actual thread, and has a body shop in Arizona (who, by the way, has said he might also be able to make the rear flares for other people if enough customers were interested). If we could identify this other "powdercoating Dan" guy again, we might be able to find out if he is going to do something with the molds he bought from Arizona Z.

The 'Powder Coating Guy' has the molds and I have been emailing him on and off over the last few months to check on progress. This is the last email that I received from him:

Hi Tim,

The sorting out of the molds and refurbishing is taking a lot more time and money than we had thought. http://www.zfiberglass.com will be up and running soon, this week hopefully, with pictures and updates as to which molds are available for making parts and what the pricing will be.

Thanks for your interest.

Tom C.

Here is the details on the company that bought the molds from Arizona Z Car:

Powder & Performance Coatings

24 Industry Drive Unit B,

Bedford, Ohio 44146

Phone(440) 735-2628

Fax (440) 735-1970

And here is his email:

P and P Coatings

Hope that helps....maybe if he gets enough interest/inquiries, he will speed up his plans.....

Tim

Oldestzguy' date='

The hybrid member was "Z Kid" he had a link to information on how the Porsche flares were installed on the Z. What i have found out about the rear valence or bumper is two processes. First, the Porsche guys wanting to convert a regular 911sc to Turbo body already have a bumper, so they only have to buy the flares and bumper extension that goes from the rear of the flares to the bumper. This extension costs from $100 to $300.00. Second, process involves buying a whole rear fiberglass bumper (11 inch). Finding the fiberglass extensions has been difficult, a majority of the Porsche shops only sell the bumpers made to fit with the turbo flares. The steel flares are out there as well, but my skills are limited to fiberglass !!!!

Drsideways,

I have pictures of BSR #33 car (the car in "How to Hotrod and Race Your Datsun"). If Classic Datsun has molds to that bodywork of the Sharp/Newman car, I might have to take out a equity line loan or do a second mortgage and write out the check !!!![/quote']

Classic has the molds from the #47 Frisselle car. They are different from the Devendorf Electramotive/ white Primadonna rear flares. They are a bit different than the Sharp rear flares. Here is a link to a great shot of the Frisselle car at the Mitty this season:

http://hsrrace.com/HSR/photogal.nsf/plinks/PHOR-6C553M

The Arizona Z flares tend to go down, out and over. This causes you to run a high rear ride height.

The Frisselle/Classic flares go out then down and over the edge of the tire. This lets you to run a lower rear ride height.

The Sharp flares go out even further and then down and over the tire edge. This lets you run the tire even higher up in the flare and lower the car.

So really there are four sets. Sharp, Classic/Frissell, AZ, and the Devendorf/ White Pimadonna.

For me the only ones worth messing with would be the real race car molds. That seems to eliminate AZ. Also eliminated is Devendorf/Primo since the mold seems to have been discarded. The Sharp molds are a very outside possibility. That leaves Les @ Classic. He is much more dependable than some of the other sources mentioned...

About that 2nd mortgage......

A.

If Les at Classic Datsun create body kits, I know it will be good quality.

I found this photo in one my old Z-car magazine, and this particular issue was dedicated to Hybrid Z, particular V8. Henry Constanzo car (president of Georgia Z club) and this car in Z-car sealed the deal for how I wanted to do my car:

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=3101

I had more money 8-10 years ago (before kids,house other cars) so I decided to wait thinking I could buy a body kit later. Who knew a lot of fiberglass Z kit shops would go out of business and/or just get rid of the molds.

Well Tim once again bails me out with info. He makes everything so easy. However, I am not interested in the Arizona Z flares anymore if they are sloped down and then out. I don't particularly go for that added on "stuck on the side" look. I prefer an outrageous look that looks as if it was a factory race or experimental car, or something.

Also, Drsideways must have received his PHD in flares as I agree with absolutely everything he is saying.

I looked at this new picture of the #47 car, and then went to page one of this thread and looked at another photo of it from the rear (I had been wanting to see the front of it for some time) and have come to the conclusion that the #47 car flares are exactly the same flares I had on my old Z car thirty years ago as shown in my old picture here. As I stated earlier, I bought these from Z Accessory Products (ZAP) like the other member did per his recent comment in this thread. The reason I think these are the same is that they are the only ones that have the upper factory door line flowing onto the rear quarters, as well as, onto the fiberglass "already flared" front fenders. Also, they were supposedly created with the Gnose which I don't like. Also, mine had a complete rear lower door jamb attachment wraparound that made installation very nice, easy to line up and strong. When you added custom fiberglass wheel well arches you could almost jack the car up on them.

As far as I am concerned, if Classic Datsun (Les) has the molds for these particular flares, provides the quality you guys describe, and they don't cost anything like the YZ kit, then the search is over and I am going to sign up to get a full set. Like I said earlier, my wife only has two jobs now so cost should not be a problem, she could easily get a third. At any rate, if he already has the molds, the sets should not cost much anyway. Sure, sure, and then I woke up.

Where do I sign?

I am in, and in stone, if everything I am now assuming serves to be true. I guess tomorrow I will contact this Les at Classic Datsun and see where he stands with the molds. Maybe Tim can help us "line people up" here somehow in a more sophisticated way than waiting for them to stumble over this thread. Possibly there is a "mass mailing" vehicle to all members concerning a particular subject or something of that nature.

I am in! John

Easiest way is to start a new thread "group buy on wide body stuff - in here", or something to that effect....mass mailing to the whole board to reach a small audience would be shooting a mosquito with a cannonball.....

I would also put some bold text in the post stating that replies to the thread should be by serious parties only, otherwise it will end up being another conversation about which kits do what and where to get them kinda BS.....seen it happen too many times...

Tim

bandwIMSA2803.bmp

Here is what I want my autocross car to look like. The wheels I borrowed from a pic of Drivesideways car and drew an airdam/splitter on front. I share Oldestzguys affinity for a no g-nose look.

Here are the rear flares from the white Primadonna Z.

imsa2.jpg

bandwIMSA2803.bmp

Here is what I want my autocross car to look like. The wheels I borrowed from a pic of Drivesideways car and drew an airdam/splitter on front. I share Oldestzguys affinity for a no g-nose look.

Here are the rear flares from the white Primadonna Z.

imsa2.jpg

That is a great photo of the Primo car and the profile of the "out & down" flare. That looks like a Hoover tag on the back. Did he have that car before it came east? His red turbo car has a vary similar flare. Maybe he made a mold????

I like your profile using my wheels. You should be very close to having that completed.

A.

OldestZGuy - I want a set like you have in your picture. Exactly like that - it looks very close to Bob_H's set. That's what I am looking for, and have been unable to find. I am on the exact same page as your as far as the flares - stuck on won't work. I want it to look like it came that way from the factory.

I'd prefer the gnose was included, but it would actually be much simpler to put them on without it I suppose.

If the prices aren't outrageous I am definitely 100% in for at least one set, and again, depending, I might throw down for two. (Even if I don't use them on both cars, it wouldn't hurt to have a backup.)

Let me know.

Thanks,

-Forrest

Sorry, I actually had to work today (scary-bad planning) so I did not have the time to communicate with the Les guy yet. I am going to limit my conversations with him to the flares like I had on my old car. For me, reason one is that they look best by far, the molds exist and we know who has them (him), they look more like factory products than any others, and because of these things, probably more people will want them.

As far as the G-nose goes; it blends directly into the flares (see car #47 front shot here in this thread) because they were made to fit it. I don't care for the 'g-nose myself, so I am going to mold an air dam into the front flares as if it was going to stay on forever, then cut it apart carefully at the proper "joining" point at each end, groom the ends, then add hidden brackets from the rear to make it removeable. Simple, looks perfect, just like I did years ago.

Zlalomz,

I like your idea with the Panasports !!!!!!!!!

Tim240Z,

I look at my garage doors, and wonder how wide the fenders are, and hope I do not have to remodel the house/garage to get the car out when it is all said and done. The black Z is running 345/35-15 tires in the rear, and 285/40-15 in front (Pirelli P7), also the rear is a "IMSA flared fiberglass clip and a bolt in fiberglass hatch" quoted from Z-car magazine Spring 1996. Showcars-bodyparts in Canada have some similar fiberglass, but past posts inidcate bad service and low quality is and issue.

Hi all, im very, very interested in these flares. I actually came across these forums after searching for the flares for a good two hours. Please keep me posted, some of your cars look amazing, and I hope my project will look just as good.