HybridZ

Old IMSA Z flare / body kit

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea, i managed to pick up oldestzguys z. :mrgreen: I feel VERY lucky to have found such a great car, thanks alot. i plan on making a sbc hybrid by the way, wish me luck.

• 4 weeks later...

don't ya love it when people repost things that have been posted a million and one times...

"Hey have you guys seen this?http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/240z.html"

By searching for showcars you will find that their company has been mentioned many many times with mostly negative connotations.

• 4 weeks later...

I found some pictures when it was in they body shop with the final finish sanding going on.....

Sure, its dusty, but you can see the color and some of the flare work,(note the lip on the edge).

When I can finally get some pictures of it cleaned up and in the sunlight, everyone will be in for a surprise in the paint job....:mrgreen:

-Bob

DSC01289.JPG

DSC01290.JPG

Guest el240z

Hi, Bob_H that is a beautiful car, and gives me a lot of motivation to finish up my Z also. I was wondering though if the lip on the passenger rear flare is also present on the driver side rear flare. My Z only has that lip on the passenger side and on the driver side its more of a sharp edge, just wondering if this is common.

El

Man that car looks great. I just painted an old Infiniti q45 that color (if it is Nissan 350Z copper) with white/ two tone. However, I was wrong. If that is the car that used to be purple; the flares definitely are not the ones that I had years ago.

Thanks guys.

First - the color is not a recent Nissan color. I searched through all the color chip books for a long time and found an obscure late 90's Renault color. It was lighter than all the others I looked at. The pics above were in a dark building with lots of dust on the car.

The flares are still a version of the older IMSA flares - just by now they have been modified a little. Tim and Roger did a fair amount of work to the fenders to make them even, and give it a little style. But in the end, it is still largely the orginal shape beneath the paint.

As for the flare "lip" - they were added at my request and they are on all the wheel openings. The original Purple job had sharp edges and that wasn't going to cut it for me,(pun not intended, but it is funny now that I look at it!).

My orginal request was to make it look like a modern production car with the fender lip. They did just that.

Sadly, it will be June before anyone sees the sunlight pictures as I am headed out to fly around a small boat again for two months. We are doing some counter-drug operations down in the southern Gulf of Mexico/north of South America. I think this is the first time we have parked a carrier down there for operations in quite a while.

• 2 months later...
Not a Z but' date=' IMHO not bad for an 18 year old that did all of his own work cheap with junkyard parts and learning how to paint, etc. The car itself is actually immaculate. He has already been offered $3500 for the car the first week. Sorry to hijack my own thread, but I am sickenly proud of his efforts and I just can't seem to stay away from this site.

God, I just realized I might start hearing about Infiniti Purists, mail-box hood scoop, etc. Go easy![/quote']

Wow, nice job! Infiniti_left_front_angle.jpg

I bought a set of these flares about 20 years ago from a guy out of Texas, I still have them unused. I was thinking about getting a mold taken off of them from a friend of mine that has a fiberglass business. Just taking an interest poll of how many people would be interested in these if I were to get some of these kits made. I think I paid about $1100 for the set of all 4 corners and the air dam. Don't know how much it would be yet, but if interest is high, I will get a price and post. Thanks for replies. I'm located in Cleveland Tennessee.

I would say the interest would be very high especially if you are willing to ship it. I noticed someone selling fronts here "http://classifieds.hybridz.org/showproduct.php?product=2263&cat=18&page=1" that looked really nice so if they are similar to that along with the rear quarters you probably will get some really good sales. How about post some pictures of what you have to work with and what they look like. I would be interested in something like the link to the Hybrid Z Classified ones and I am sure others would also but the big issue seems to be that many people that have them don't want to ship them for whatever reason they have. I say put them in a inside two big plastic bags, place them in a box and fill it with foam in a can and stick them on the bus for cheaper shipping. Just a suggestion to safely ship them.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have that sunshine shot - but here was an older photo from the paint booth. Those of you with eagle eyes can see the surprise....

(Its out of paint jail, but waiting for some fender liner to protect the fiberglass from rocks before I can get it back).

-Bob

S30100071.JPG