HybridZ

Another 7MGTE swap with pics

Clifton

Guest 73Turbo240z
Sparks: Clifton has been for a ride to verify my SOTP meter and it feels like about 350 RWHP. On Saturday evening here in Mesa I did a roll on with a black convertable viper 3 times in a row and dropped him each time. He kept going just to race me then did a u turn back to the bank (I bank with also) use the ATM machine I followed him and I hollered "Thanks it was fun" and he had a big smile on his face and said "thanks" back. Seemed to be a very nice guy.

73turbo:

that looks like your running a 77-78 280z fuel tank' date=' am i correct? Nope its the stock 71 they all look the same.

are you running spacers on those wheels to get them to fit like that? Nope thats the brake rotor hat and the AZ Z car 5 lug rotor kit.

looks like your running a R200 differential? Yep, Its a 3.70 LDS with a smooth cover on it

and an AZ mustache bar for that differential, is that the only thing supporting the rear pumpkin? Yup thats all it does, same thing as the stock one, just looks cooler and its tighter (urethane).

did you do any material removal to the front core support to get that IC in and out? Nope NOT AT ALL for the IC it fits in the stock holes with no cutting, it was a bitch to fab on the intercooler. BUT for the Fresh air intake I cut a perfect oval hole like 6" by 4.5 in the flat area right under the front right IC inlet for the air filter.

you running an AZ car radiator as well? Yup with my own custom radiator fan support. The fan is 18 inches in diameter.

i didn't think mine sat that low when i mocked it up, but it looks like you have the same radiator i do so i figured i'd ask? Any air dam covers it completely, camera angle probably makes it look worse than it is.

what seats are you running, cause those don't look like stock Z seats? They are stock Z seats, just out of a 1984 300 ZX turbo with the inflatable lumbar support, thigh support and with the adjustable torso width knob. There must be 8 different adjustments you can make with these. Kinda heavy but they are comfy.

thanks! nice job, it's very subtle unless you are a Z guy and know what to look for!

Thanks that was my intention.

Now I gotta go find some F body guys to go beat up on.

AZ[/quote']

thanks for the thorough response, if i could pick your brain a bit more, what did you do for fuel pick/delivery since you are using a 71 (carbed motor) fuel tank? reason i ask is cause i'm trying to avoid hacking out my spare tire well for a cell, and i was under the impression you needed a 77-78 efi tank to do a efi motor swap... definately interested in how you did that tank since it appears were around the same power goals!

definately interested in how you did that tank since it appears were around the same power goals!

350's not my goal its just what it happend to be. When I bought the wastegate it came with a 10 pound spring. I have plenty of other goodies and it should be between 450 and 500 RWHP before Im done. As soon as im confident I wont hurt the motor (again) and I have all the bugs worked out I will start turning up the boost. probably between 18 and 22 psi, but we will see what the turbo likes best.

For fuel tank mods, go to Cliftons sig page check out his website, I think he shows pictures in there, of what he did. I will post photos when I find them. Heres the short story, (on the gas tank) we got the Supra Tank, we cut a hole in the top, took the fuel tank flange, sender/fuel pump mount, and the supra baffel out and put it (welded it) in the Z car tank. (Please dont even think of welding in your tank unless you know what you are doing).

It appears from the pictures that you're using the stock 71 fuel lines, is this true? Are you sure they will flow enough for the current 350HP and for the expected 500HP?

I'm asking because I went to the hassle of running 3/8" feed and return lines for my LT1 which isn't going to put out as much power as your motor. I did this because I thought I had learned that the stock 240Z 5/16" feed and 1/4" vapor return line would not handle the required flow rates and either starve or flood your engine because of the restricted feed and return capabilities. Does this make sense? I'm beginning to think all I had to do was replace the 1/4" return to prevent fuel pressure buildup and use the 5/16" feed. Any thoughts on this?

BTW: Good idea to rob the baffling from the Supra tank and also good advice about welding on a gas tank without knowing what you're doing. I welded a sump on my stock 73 tank and was very nervous doing it. Obviously I didn't have any problems but it was nerve racking.

Wheelman

It appears from the pictures that you're using the stock 71 fuel lines' date=' is this true? Are you sure they will flow enough for the current 350HP and for the expected 500HP?

Wheelman[/quote']

It is has been good for 500+ rwhp so far. I had teed in pressure guage just before the fuel rail to check. At WOT up to 6600 rpm and 24 psi of boost I had 65 psi, just as I should. The fuel pressure didn't back down at all which would be the case if the line was a restriction or if the pumps wasn't flowing enough. The pressure at idle was about 40-42 psi, a few psi higher than it should be but it is unavoidable with the small return and big pump. It isn't anything the O2 sensor can't correct for, we both run wide bands. As soon as there is any throttle input the pressure drops down. We both went through emissions at the same time and flew through.

It appears from the pictures that you're using the stock 71 fuel lines' date=' is this true? Are you sure they will flow enough for the current 350HP and for the expected 500HP?

I'm asking because I went to the hassle of running 3/8" feed and return lines for my LT1 which isn't going to put out as much power as your motor. I did this because I thought I had learned that the stock 240Z 5/16" feed and 1/4" vapor return line would not handle the required flow rates and either starve or flood your engine because of the restricted feed and return capabilities. Does this make sense? I'm beginning to think all I had to do was replace the 1/4" return to prevent fuel pressure buildup and use the 5/16" feed. Any thoughts on this?

BTW: Good idea to rob the baffling from the Supra tank and also good advice about welding on a gas tank without knowing what you're doing. I welded a sump on my stock 73 tank and was very nervous doing it. Obviously I didn't have any problems but it was nerve racking.

Wheelman[/quote']

the stock lines are the = to -6 lines which when the math is done will support up to 550 RWHP

Math shmaths, when we start loosing pressure/af/hp at rpms then we will do something about the fuel lines. Clifton just keeps telling me to "do it" and fix it if it dosnet work. But it always works.

Sept the blown motor, but that wasnt his fault.

AZ

• 2 years later...
So what was the cause of your first blown motor if you don't mind me asking? Also are you two running metal head gaskets or just regular ones with some proper torquing?

Same old BHG, if your not familiar with the term, then you don't own a 7M, and be thankful, BHG = Blown head gasket.

7m's are notorious for BHG's, Matter of fact I was pushing it so hard I broke a ring land on the piston also. The next motor was @ around 21 psi and going strong and my water injection starved and then I broke another piston ring land. This latest motor is forged and has a bunch of safety measures to make sure it cuts boost or notifies me of knock if I have any problems.

I am running a 2mm metal head gasket. I will have to update the photos, I replaced the entire front suspension and repainted the engine compartment and plated every nut and bolt when I put it back together. The engine, engine compartment and front suspension are show quality. I'm very happy with how it came out.