HybridZ

OKay Guys: Help me decide which 6 to put in my car!!

240hoke

Which motor for my car?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which motor for my car?

• Built l28 w/ high boost
    • rb25det
    • 7mgte
    • 1jzgtte

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets think worst case scenario, you blow a head gasket, throw a timing chain, or even need a gasket, thermostat, or some pistons maybe rod bearings rings Starter.... Which one will be available through standard means, and which one needs to researched and cross referenced and then have you bend over and get served raw with no lube with no reach around for a used part???? I dont think it would be like that with the 7mgte. NOW WHAT.

I will say this, the motor mounts and the trans mount were the easiest part of my conversion. Everything else was the hard part, It only takes time. I sure dont regret my 7m swap it hauls a$$ at only 10-13 psi.

Thanks Clifton.

Guest Typenamehere
Lets think worst case scenario, you blow a head gasket, throw a timing chain, or even need a gasket, thermostat, or some pistons maybe rod bearings rings Starter.... Which one will be available through standard means, and which one needs to researched and cross referenced and then have you bend over and get served raw with no lube with no reach around for a used part???? I dont think it would be like that with the 7mgte. NOW WHAT.

If you're talking about the 1jz,that's not going to happen. The pistons, headgasket, rod and main bearings, water pump, alternator, cams and injectors are all interchangable between the 1jz and the 2jz (Lexus and MKIV supra motor). I'm sure you'd be able to find a timing belt that would work. All you'd have to do is get a 1jz thermostat.

The 7m CAN be hard to find new OEM parts for. It's not that common of an engine. In my experience, many toyota dealerships and parts stores will just flat out tell you that they don't carry anything for it and that you have to "custom order" the part.

Guest Typenamehere
upgraded stocks are pretty good. But they're still pricey, just not as pricey as an SP turbo. on my MK3, I have a 62-1 upgrade and it's actually pretty nice. Some say that the unbalanced turbo isn't reliable (larger compressor wheel). Mine's been fine, but I have'nt been able to boost too high since I'm still hitting fuel cut. Basically, the 7m is going to take a little prepping to make the power. i would HIGHLY recommend going MHG if you're looking for that kind of power goal. Retorquing is only effecient to a point. If you're running a lot of boost, I would go MHG.

$500-$700 isn't that bad for a rebuilt turbo. :)

AS I said, an MHG is something you should do, but don't have to. People have managed to build high horse power 7ms with the re-designed stock gasket.

The 7m CAN be hard to find new OEM parts for. It's not that common of an engine. In my experience, many toyota dealerships and parts stores will just flat out tell you that they don't carry anything for it and that you have to "custom order" the part.
Yea besides all the NAPA parts I put in my motor (that they had in stock) 2 weeks ago the dealer took a whole 2 days to get me the one tranny gasket I needed from the dealer. This motor only came in every supra, soarer and many other Japaniese models. And remember every tom dick and harry dosent want theirs because they have head gasket problems. So your right this motor will be much harder to get new parts from the dealer than the L series motors. Cause you know thats where you get "ALL" new motor parts "the dealer"

Guest Typenamehere
Yea besides all the NAPA parts I put in my motor (that they had in stock) 2 weeks ago the dealer took a whole 2 days to get me the one tranny gasket I needed from the dealer. This motor only came in every supra, soarer and many other Japaniese models. And remember every tom dick and harry dosent want theirs because they have head gasket problems. So your right this motor will be much harder to get new parts from the dealer than the L series motors. Cause you know thats where you get "ALL" new motor parts "the dealer"

As far as I know, the 7mgte only came in the Supra, Chaser (JDM) and the Soarer (JDM), and it was only used for 3 years in Japan (they switched to the 1JZ and 1G). The Supra, Chaser, and Soarer in Japan had 1jzs in them too. The Cressida (USDM) and MKIII Supra NA had a 7mge.

You name it, I've pulled it off and replaced it on my 7mgte. Everything from the turbo to the pistons. Everytime I need a part I either ended up driving all the way across the state or ordering it and waiting 3-5 weeks. I ordered online, small shops, big shops, toyota dealerships, online, used and it was always the same result.

It's not a common engine, that doesn't mean it's a bad engine, but you're just as likely to find parts that will work on your 1jz (because of the 2jz and it's involvement with lexus) then you will your 7m. The only real difference with the availabilty of parts is the aftermarket support. Bolt-on 7m parts are somewhat common, but 1jz parts (besides injectors, turbos, etc.) are going to either have to be custom made or purchased from Japan.

Guest emo236

I'm just finishing up a HG replacement on my 7m. I replaced everythign I had access to. All gaskets, seals, hoses etc. I had no problems getting parts. I got everythign I needed within a week. Even the local Kragen had a lot of the parts that I forgot about. The 1jz is a stout motor so I wouldn't worry about stuff breaking, but the 7m is too. I replaced my HG with the new OEM and arp's since I don't plan on going above 400bhp. My point is, 1JZ would be fun, but the 7m would be easier to get parts for and things would be cheaper.

okay i got quoted today 1600 for a 1jzgte with manual transmission. This looked pretty good, i would assum these places would be somewhat negotiatle. I figure i could get it for 1500 or less. I have yet to find a 2jz. Smae place wanted 2400 for a rb25det motorset sans wiring.

Okay which is stronger -- 7m or 1j ? Given the choice between the two i would assume the 1j would be a better motor, and if parts are interchangable btwn the 1j and 2j this could be the ticket.

-Austin

okay i got quoted today 1600 for a 1jzgte with manual transmission. This looked pretty good' date=' i would assum these places would be somewhat negotiatle. I figure i could get it for 1500 or less. I have yet to find a 2jz. Smae place wanted 2400 for a rb25det motorset sans wiring.

Okay which is stronger -- 7m or 1j ? Given the choice between the two i would assume the 1j would be a better motor, and if parts are interchangable btwn the 1j and 2j this could be the ticket.

-Austin[/quote']

Not all parts are interchangable. I know for sure the ex manifold gasket is not, don't know what else though. That seems like a good price with a 5 spd. Most come with the auto.

The 1JZ can take alot more revs due to the short stroke so I guess it would make it stronger and not having a HG issue make it a better motor. HP wise they are about the same, 7M will always have more torque though.

Guest emo236

If it comes down to the 1jz or the 7m, try going on supraforums.com in the MKIII section adn search "1jz swap" or ssomething like that. You'll find a lot of people arguing back and forth abtou which is better. Find some good points and go with it. Both projects would be awesome. I commend you for doing something fairly different yet really cool IMHO. I wish you luck on this project.

Heh, finally something I can talk about. This is my first actual post on here, even though I've been lurking for a long time.

The 1JZ is just as stout as the 2JZ, just simply a half liter smaller. It revs very smoothly, has a ton of potential, and is an absolute joy to drive. The stock turbos are worthless past 14 psi, so for your 450 hp you'll be upgrading your turbos, fuel, and intercool i imagine. Personally, I would pursue a 1JZ half clip, as opposed to an engine set, but since this is a custom setup it my not be as desirable. I'm preparing to put a 1JZ into my mkIV supra (NA) to be a little different, not to mention that it is still an awesome motor. Some more points to consider are that the 1J head is reported to flow bettter than the 2J and can also bolt right up to a 2J 3-liter block (known as the 1.5JZ)

By the time you spend all the dough getting a 1J in, you could have a very strong 7M in your car. Not to mention, there are people you can turn to since the 7M has been done before. There is tons of knowledge out there about the 7M, whereas the 1J has really just exploded in tthe past 2-3 years. Depending on how you like your motors, the 7M would probably acccomplish your goals with a smaller budget, although I'm not sure how reliable they would be at 500+ HP. Personally, I like high revs and could care less about torque, so I like the JZ series motors over the 7M.

I know almost nothing about the RB or L series motors, but I'm pretty good with the supra stuff.

Hey,

anthracite you seem to know your supra stuff, what is the deal about manual tranny's on the 1jz. The shop i was talking to who claimed to have a manual one coming in was lying it came in as a auto. Soo they said they could order one, but im not paying for anything without seeing it.

At anyrate what are my tranny options?

Im liking the 1jz option looks like a strong motor the supra guys say its just as good as the rb26dett, they seem to think the 2jz is alot more advanced then the rb26, but they are supra guys so of course they would have this opinion. At anyrate, the extra money to put it in wont be much depenind on what works on on the tranny. I would be making my own mounts and everything so its just the price of a little bit of steel. Driveshaft, exhaust, i/c pipes and everything would have to be made for any motor soo...

-Austin

Guest emo236

It's hard to find a manual 1jz clip sometimes, but you have some options. you can a.) get a bellhousing from a JZA70 manual supra and then use the R-154 tranny from an MK3 turbo 7m car. b.) use the w58 tanny from an NA MK4 supra. Another option that would be really cool IMO if you could get it to work, would be to modify the bellhousing to fit the MK4 6spd. you'll have to get the flywheel from a JZA70 too.

Guest emo236

also, if you go 1jz route, here's some helpful links for you.

http://www.takakaira.com/ ---aftermarket stuff for 1jzs

and I also found you a 1jz clip with a 5spd for you.

http://www.jarcoinc.com/inventory/halfcuts/

I know the clip is more expensive, but it will end up saving you money in the end. When you buy just an engine and tranny, the wiring harness is sometimes cut, doesn't always come with the ECU. plus all the other odds and ends.

the 1JZ was offered with the R154 tranny, which has a good reputations for being able to handle a decent amount of power. I can't say much for the slushboxes, since I avoid them like the plague. The tranny codes that were available with the 1J were the above mentioned R154 and the A342E (automatic), but many of the mkIII supra guys use the 7M automatic (A340E). If you are seeking tranny options, I beleive you can also use the Getrag V160 6-speed used with the 2JZ-GTE as well as the W58 used with the 2JZ-GE. However, the W58 was offered with the 7M-GE, but I have been convinced they are not the same tranny.

If I get a chance to drive an early Z and can be convinced that it what I want to pursue as my next project, I'll be using the 2JZ-GE that is soon being removed from my mkIV when I put the 1J in. I can update you in a few months (60 hour work weeks + just graduated college with one class left to take don't leave much time to wrenching) on how easily the 1J mates up to the W58.

recap:

1J trannies: R154 (manual), A342E (auto)

7M trannies: R154 (manual, needs a 1J bellhousing), A340E (auto), W58 (NA manual)

mkIV trannies: W58 (NA 5-speed), V160 (TT 6-speed), I don't know the auto code

Jarco has the #1 recommednation from people doing the 1J swap that are using half-cuts. If you aren't using a half-cut, they'll be pretty much useless.

Takakaira is a good company. I ordered a few things from them back when I did the 1J swap in my mkIII.