HybridZ

OKay Guys: Help me decide which 6 to put in my car!!

240hoke

Which motor for my car?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which motor for my car?

• Built l28 w/ high boost
    • rb25det
    • 7mgte
    • 1jzgtte

After spending the last week doing a lot of research on the 1jz, the worst thing about it is the twin turbos. Which IMO makes is what makes it a cool swap. They're small and can't handle much boost until they break. If you want to go for a large single turbo, expect to pay $800-1300 just for a manifold. If you want to make the most out of the twins, you need to make a bigger Y-pipe between the turbos - or even better would be to make them seperate and merge into eachother farther down. From what I've read, the max you can expect out of that is around 350-375rwhp.

I'm on the fence now, both are good motors after a few changes. If I could find a complete 7m-gte around here for less than $1200, I'd probably go for that.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest emo236

remember, to get 450hp out of a 7m, it's going to take money as well. Here's a break down for the 7m (as good as I can come up with)

MHG/ARP...$350

plus replacing everything that goes with it...I spent about $750 all together and I just did the upgraded oem with arps. so expect about $1000 if you do this right.

intake....$60-200

exhaust....$200-1000

boost controller....$50-600

550cc injectors....$350

Lex AFM.....$150

Upgraded FMIC....$300-800 (depends on if it's custom or a kit)

Hard pipes....$200-400 (also depends on if it's custom or a kit)

some type of BOV over stock...$50-300

upgraded turbo....$500-1600

There's probably other things I'm not thinking of too. These are all approximations off my head. Don't quote me on anything. Hope this helps some.

stock 1J turbos are only really good (read: reliable) below 14-15 psi. After that the ceramic blades will simply shatter (2J turbos were steel, but it isn't a direct swap).

Getting a whole 7M-GTE for under 1200 would be a peice of cake. You can get a BHG Supra Turbo for ~600, pull the motor, part the car and you'll probably turn a profit since you won't need a lot of the parts that the car would have, leaving you money to mod with :twisted: .

Guest emo236

93anthracite has a good point. His suggestion could totally be done. Look around, you'll definitely find a BHG supra turbo. That will be a very good start

hey, have you considered an RB30DET? Venus auto USED to sell RB20DET and RB25DET heads only for $150 and I know a place that can get you an RB30E block that has been rebuilt for $800. then just get some custom intake and exhaust manifolds or get a hold of some RB25 stuff and run a standalone or MEgasquirt the bastard. Go to http://www.meggala.com and dig around on his site for the reciepe for the RB30DET. some of his freinds built on that pounded out 467whp @ 17.6psi. not too shabby.

McAdam

sorry, man, I cannot find their website, but I do know the name of the shop, its fueled performance and their phone number is (602)-448-5620 they are based in Phoenix, and I talked to them about 6 months ago when they quoted me $800 for the RB30 block. I do have an RB25DET head with bent valves (same as VG30DE) that I may be willing to let go. also have most of the intake stuff too. and may be able to get a hold of an RB20/25 DET exhaust manifold, then all you'd need would be electronics.....

mack

DO NOT buy ANYTHING from Venus Auto. EVER.

Jarco is pretty good, Japan Direct in Raleigh is a tad pricey but worth it.

Austin, if you ever need a hand with anything, don't hesitate to let me know. I'm thinking of ditching the S13 (once it's back together and I take it to an HPDE or two) and going with some sort of fiddled-with S30 :D

Guest MasamuneX

From personal experience I can say I was more than pleased with Venus Auto. All I have to say is don't pay the extra 75 bucks to have then take it off their truck because more than likely it will be shipped on a truck without a liftgate. When the motor arrives make sure you have something(forklift, towtruck, Arnold and friends) to take it down. When you find something wrong with your purchase all they ask you is "What do you need?" You don't have to catch yourself sounding like your wife. Just be sure to talk to "the girl." Good prices, poor english translation, what an adventure! Siskel and Roper give it two thumbs up.

from MULTIPLE PERSONAL experiences with Venus Auto, and with a NC shop that dealt direct with Venus Auto, they get a thumbs down. The shop in NC (JK Motorsports) gets three thumbs down :x I have seen numerous Venus-sourced lousy-condition engines and numerous "sets" that were quite incomplete. If you're not local to Venus, I wouldn't buy from them. Hell, a friend of mine was set up to sell Venus engines when he started his track car, and from my experiences and the condition of the engine he got from Venus for his track car, he decided not to have that as part of his business any more...

I'm thinking of ditching the S13 (once it's back together and I take it to an HPDE or two) and going with some sort of fiddled-with S30 :D

Not Fair! That's my idea! :-D

Venus is a hit-or-miss option. I've seen people get motors with extra goodies in great shape, but at the same time I've seen people get a 1000lb hunk of scrap metal that was pass off as a complete half car. If you buy from them, know you aren't guaranteed a perfect engine or pay the extra with somebody else and have a guarantee.

well, I've got a while to go too... after it's back together (less than a month, hopefully) I'm going to force myself to take it to at least one HPDE (preferably two), one autocross, and one drift event before putting it up for sale :D I got the car originally to do HPDEs and such, and after over two years I still haven't been to one because I've spent it all trying to get the car the way I wanted it first :twak:

Well guys,

Ive been calling around and doing my reasearch. I found the 1jz and the 2jz both for decent deals, but both had higher miles then i wanted from jarco (above 100K). 3500 For a rb25 to me doesnt seem worth the money right now.

Soooo, after much thought I decided I really like the 1jz motor and this would prolly be my pick, but As silly as it sounds for this car i really dont want to stray away from nissan. i dont know why but something is stopping me from doing it. This leaves me the rb lines. Right now my plan is to dropp my l28et back in the car this summer to get the car goign again as it requires no mods and i can get 350+ to the wheels with it.

I plan on going ahead and saving up for the big daddy rb26 swap, or a built rb25. This will allow me plenty of money to finish up the details on my car and worry about a motor down the road a bit. Ill be learning to tig weld at NC state this, so ill be able to make custom manifolds ect. Anyway thanks for everbodys input, and Look for me to revive this thread within the next year.

-Austin

watch out for the NCSU administration... if you don't have any problems, you should be fine, but if you ever run into a snag, be prepared to face miles of red tape and competent people only 50% of the time :x

anyway... I understand wanting to keep it Nissan. I say go RB26 over built RB25. But that's just me :D Let me know if you want any help dropping the L28ET back into the car.

P.S. How much did Jarco want for the 1JZ/2JZ clips?