HybridZ

still no CADDY 472-500 powered (Z)???

After a week of fixing little gliches like the drive shaft hit the rear sway bar, only in reverse and getting the cooling fan relay hooked up. I took it around the block for the first time. I did'nt open it up but man its hard to keep the tires from spinning. All went well, everthing worked and no vibrations. Tonight i set the float level in the carb it was running way too rich, hope to take it out this weekend if it dos'nt rain.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Thought i'd show a few pics of the car not at my garage. Yes it does run. I just about have all the bugs out of it. Just need to tune it up a little' date=' still running rich.

[/quote']

ALL that motor fit under your Z-car's hood?! That's like trying to mate a 500 pound gorilla with a chimpanzee, isn't it? Or maybe a humpback whale with a gold fish?

I've considered the 500 Caddy but I didn't think it would fit without modifying the hood. Now I'm thinking about it more seriously. PLEASE say you documented everything?

• 2 years later...
Why would you put a Caddy 500 in a datsun? I dont really see how the car could handle all that torque. i have a full size chevy with that motor and when you rag on the truck, the whole frame twists, not a lot wut it does. i ant see how a 2800 pound car could handle that engine, and the car could never hook up with 500 pounds of torque, you would just end up spinning the wheels.

im not trying to critize, i just think that for the cost to reinforce the car, to get the engine and tranny to fit, to build the rear end up (solid axle??) and to buy the engine and tranny you would be over the cost of a 350, lt1, maybe ls1, and you would have more useable power with the smaller v8, and less broken parts, the 500 eats full size 3/4 ton truck parts.

Why not? You break 3/4 ton truck parts with the caddy torque, the 3/4 ton chevy also weighs 3x as much. (more stress on the parts) You also gotta remember that it's a 2800lb car the size of a CRX (which weighs less than 2000lb) it's still a strong, strong car for a little thing. I don't have to mention that a chevy truck frame isn't very stiff (it's strong but not stiff at all, ever take one off roading? The bed hits the cab from the frame flex...a 350 chev could flex a fullsize chevy frame...they're made to so they don't crack)

Hell my 06 silverado has frame flex like crazy...it rides like a skateboard, seats and dash shimmy all the time. I still love it but my old "weak" Z car (you could jump my Z off a curb and slam to the ground and still had less rattles than my chevy with less than 20,000 miles has...and the Z had almost 240,000) was at least twice as stiff....as my modern chevy truck.

The Z car is (much) stronger than a vega and yet it doesn't stop people from putting big motors in vegas.....even though I've seen a high powered vega flex sufficiently to break the windshield...it was still cool!

The motor fits in a Z car better than it fits in a G-body....and good luck fitting a caddy motor into a vega....goodbye firewall!

The stock rear will take it for awhile and if it pops, so what? Go to the junkyard and get another one for 10 bucks.

I see plenty of reasons to do it.

It makes me wish I kept my Z car.

Btw If anyone wants a sweet caddy i have one for sale. 68 deville convertible 472 runs good. Too sweet to part out or junk but if the motor lives on in a Z It's good with me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadillac-DeVille-DTS-convertible-sweet-uber-restorable-caddy-convertible_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem180295612922QQitemZ180295612922

Please, please someone buy it. It really is a nice car, I want 2399.99 for it. Good rockers, floors need some work and it runs and drives. Swap motor if nothing else. I'm in PA my phone # is 610-737-6391 if you want to look at it and drive it around. I don't have room for the big bertha and It is too nice to junk.

• 1 month later...
Guest mark 79

Awesome job, the car and install look great. I'll be attempting to squeeze a 68 472 into my 79zx over the winter, hope it fits as nice as in your Z. I'm new here but will post any pictures or helpful info I figure out along the way. Great site.