HybridZ

Viper V10 engine in a Z

pjo046

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a thread somewhere on here where the owner of the car chimes in. If I remember right the Z is located somewhere on the west coast (California or Washington?) I tried searching for the thread, but no luck finding it.

!M!

Ah, here is the thread: Click here The guys name is Jim Halsey. Unfortunetly, the links to the pictures no longer work.

EDIT: Here's some more information from one of his other posts...

"I am in the process of building a 72 240 Z. The car will be stock appearing but will be powered by a Viper crate motor and will use a T56 6 speed and R200 rear. Most major fabrication is complete, motor and trans in car, new chrome moly front cross member, engine set back 4 inches to get engine behind cross member and down in the chassis. Firewall recessed, trans tunnel reshaped to accomodate the T56. Viper motor is 505 lbs fully dressed with clutch, flywheel, starter, alternator, A/C compressor, power stg pump and sepentine accessory drive. Stock tubular headers fit nicely, the collectors need to be rotated to face the rear. Have run two box section rails back through the floor to tie the front and rear together for stiffness. Also will soon have the 10 pt roll cage in and then i can go looking for seats to fit. Full road race coil over and tubular control arm setup from Arizona Z with 6 piston Wilwood calipers in front, 4 piston in rear, 5 bolt aluminum hubs. Car will have power windows, A/C, stereo, full cell, headlight covers, louvered hood, fire suppression system, otherwise stock appearing. Will run Fluidyne aluminum radiator with integrated oil cooler. Wheels will be 17x8, 17x9, forged, undecided on make, also paint is up in the air.

Car is being built by Nelson Vels, Billet Works, Santa Clarita, Ca. He has done several V8 conversions in early Z cars and is into doing this car a little differently. Probably 6-8 months from hitting the street. Will also give it a go at open track on the big track at Willow Springs."

!M!

kewl!!

I love his crossmembers,

wonder if he's up for a race :)

V12 with lots of power in high rpm's vs low rpm torque V10...

something tells me we both will leave pieces of the R200 littering the track

Chelle

1204im0010311-med_187.jpg

Where are they going to put the gas pedal?

Mine looks kind of the same with the 2 speed glide in it. im gonna basically either striaghten the bent arm on the pedal or flip it over and also bend the brake pedal over a littleso it more of a straight arm.

Where are they going to put the gas pedal?

Looks like my car too but with right hand the recessed firewall works as a great dead pedal and I didn't have to do any changes to the pedals.

GTO-dash1.jpg

Dead Roman, he might not be thinking about turbo's or superchargers. I set ours just as far back because it allowed me to really lower the center of gravity by getting it back far enough to be behind the crossmember.

Chelle

• 2 weeks later...