HybridZ

Viper V10 engine in a Z

pjo046

I dont know what to say to that, but one thing is for sure he will need a cage and support from one end of that Z to the other. Unbelievable, especially seeing that it acutally fits!~

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of these days all of our Zs are gonna be worth more than the Viper, just stay alive for another 20 years and remember I told ya so! Slowly but surely they will increase in value. Thats why I want to have at least 4 or 5 by the time I get back to work on and keep....next project is gonna be Ls1 or the like with pro charger and wide body like Dan Js. Man I cant wait to get back....damn!

Terry

• 4 years later...

After only 7 years, the project is now on the road, sorting it out, have about 300 miles on it. Still working on a few things but its comfortable, reliable, sounds great at higher revs, gets lots of looks and with the torque i can turn a slow corner in 4th and accelerate in 4th hard without need for downshifting. Will probably be at Willow Springs in October for Cobra Club event to get some further testing done.

Here's an overview with pictures of early fabrication, body and paint, final:

body: stripped to bare metal, stock except for hood and deck emblems shaved, recessed side marker lights, 3 piece rear bumper converted to one piece. Brooklands green with black “Boss 302†style stripes under clear coat, V10 emblems, NO fender flares

Structure: 10 point cage, steel box section beams front to back spliced through the floor pan, firewall moved back 4 inches, floor reshaped for trans clearance, fuel cell, battery relocated to rear, fuel and brake lines routed through passenger frame rail.

Suspension: Arizona Z Car products front and rear, road racing struts / control arms, coil overs, adjustable shocks, 6 piston Wilwood front calipers, 4 piston rears, moustache bar, sway bars. 18x7 5Zigen front, 18x8 5Zigen rear wheels, 225x40-18 front, 275x35-18 Michelin Pilot Sport tires

Drivetrain: Gen II Viper V10 crate motor (460 hp, 500 ft lbs torque), 6 speed Tremec T56 Viper trans, R200 differential, Quaife limited slip, Modern Motorsports half shafts with CV joints, oval exhaust (for ground clearance) by Doug Holmberg, balance tube, dual exhaust, Magnaflow mufflers, ceramic coated. Huge x Large alum radiator, oil cooler, hydraulic clutch

Interior: BMW 3 series leather sport seats, dash modified for roll cage tube clearance and restored by Just Dashes, Autometer carbon fiber face gauges (speedo, tach, fuel, oil pressure, oil temp, volts, water temp), push to start ignition button, full stereo with subwoofer and iPod source, power door locks, Momo wood/leather steering wheel, Vintage Air A/C, heat, defrost, NOS 280Z.console

Basic fabrication: Billet Works, Santa Clarita

Body and Paint: McCluskey Ltd, Torrance

DSC_0352_thumb.jpg

DSC_0353_thumb.jpg

IMG_2029_thumb.JPG

IMG_2030_thumb.JPG

IMG_2031_thumb.JPG

DSC_3550_thumb.jpg

DSC_3551_thumb.jpg

DSC_3556_thumb.jpg

DSC_3558_thumb.jpg

DSC_3560_thumb.jpg

Beautiful! Thanks for posting this update, wanna race? Road America? :)

Did you use the same solution as we did to get the wipers working after cutting away the area of the firewall where the stock wiper motor goes?

Passenger side front of the engine I see AN fittings.. is the Viper a dry sump too?

Congrats on a wonderful result !

I raced my 65 shelby there in 2006 when the big wreck in group 6 occurred, i was first car NOT to hit the pile, big pucker moment though because didn't see the pile until i crested the hill onto the main straight at 135 mph. Great track though, and Elkhart Lake town and folks were awesome, hope to go back.

wipers: we mounted an aftermarket cable driven wiper solution under the passenger side inspection cover, also fuel pressure regulator and gauge live there.

AN fittings: no dry sump but we did have to use a remote oil filter which sits very close by near the original filter location.

Wow, glad you walked away from that mess.

I wonder if either of our cars would pass tech.. lol, if we did try to race anywhere I wouldn't drive anyway, roomie/co-owner would. I'm a middle of the pack driver, but Haley is very talented.

We used same.. I think it was from power window company.. would have to do some digging to know for sure.

I have a 4 stage Peterson pump in about the same position but on other side (ours is RHD) so my first thought was dry sump even though I didn't see a tank. There's a street rod guy here in my area who has a Viper engined rod, but I don't see many using that engine around here.

Who did your headers? Are they custom or meant for a Viper?

thanks!

Chelle

The headers are stock Gen II Viper crate motor stainless units, we modified the collectors to face rearward and use V band clamps, the stock collector is designed for side exhaust. Then they were Jet Hot ceramic coated inside and out. Exhaust from there back is oval, equivalent in cross section to 3" round, for ground clearance.