HybridZ

Rally Clock Mounting bracket

TomoHawk

How about building a bracket that attaches to the passenger side of the tranny tunnel and rises up from there? Then the computer/clock/etc.. could be mounted on that, hanging over the passenger's left leg or something.

I would look at making a bracket that attached to the front attaching point of the center console. Then I would make it follow the contour of the trans hump. I would do it this way so that I would not have to put holes in the trans tunnel, just my .02.

HB280ZT

Maybe I should mention to you that there is no center console in my car. If you attach to the trans tunnel, it will need one leg on each side or it would flop over. I also prefer to have the thing pointing at the driver for tyhe time being, and I would figure out how to point it to the passenger later on.

I was thinking more of a braket that attaches with the bolts that attach the heater controls.

thx.

It was just a suggestion I was throwing out there... since nobody else had said anything yet. :twak:

Why would it flop over if you mount it to the side of the tranny tunnel?

Whats wrong with mounting it to the tranny tunnel? (fear of rust?)

Why not try to find a used cell phone holder, you know the kind that mounts to a flexible stalk, for incar cellular hands free application. You would need to fabricate a new 'head' for it for your device to clip into, but then you would have the 'flexibilty' (no pun intended) to repostion it at any time....

Tim

It was just a suggestion I was throwing out there... since nobody else had said anything yet.

Why would it flop over if you mount it to the side of the tranny tunnel?

Whats wrong with mounting it to the tranny tunnel? (fear of rust?)

Thanks Hugh,

No problem right now- all ideas welcome at this point. Brainstorming means all ideas- good & bad. Sometimes the (bad) ideas give you an good idea, or point you in the right dirction to a solution. If the thing was mounted to the trans tunnel via a 2-point mount, it would be kind of wobbly, so I think a 3-point mount should be the least. And you are right about rust. Driling holes through the floor (or anywhere in the engine bay for that matter) isn't the best way to reduce places for rust to start. Welding a nut or nuts to the floor would be mbetter. Like the seat mounts.

Tim-

I've never seen how the phone holders mount. If I were to try one, the initial question still remains- how to mount the phone holder to the car.

When I get time, I will go look at one and take the heater controls off again to see what's under there.

thx

how tall is that? My goal is to have the thing up high enough so you don't have to take your eues from away from the road.

I think I'd still like to go with a metal bracket on some kind that doesn't look like it will fall over when you push on it or put something heavy on it, and mount it up on the dash someplace solid.

thx

The rally computer things are usually mounted on a simple made up aluminium bracket bolted to the upper forward part of the passenger door inside. The face is angled at about 45 degrees to the door so that both the driver and navigator can see it.