HybridZ

chopped the top on my Z!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again guys.

I will be sure to keep pictures coming as I make more progress. Today I just cut the hatch to fit the new opening and welded that in. Now I have a slicktop Z.

blueovalz,

Thanks for the compliments. Your car has been one of my inspirations and I emailed you awhile back about laying up fiberglass. Thanks for all of the help. I plan on starting to build up the fiberglass mold soon. That will probably be the next big round of pics.

Man I wish I had time to add this to my list of modifications however Im trying to throw mine together quickly. Anyways I was wondering what did you make your cuts with were they all sawzall or did you use a plasma cutter or something. Im definatly interested in seeing how you go about your windshield replacement. I would think the side windows would be easier to

modify. There is also a method where sandblasting is used to cut curved glass. It may be cheaper to go through a few windshields rather then have a custom one made. However Maybe the shop would give you a discount for more then one and it will motivate some of us that are seriously thinking about doing some cutting.

Guest tlmainiac

if the curve of the windshield hasnt changed you can cut the glass with a sandblaster. i have done this on tempered side windows and it werks. first you find your cut line then put multiple layers of tape just above the cut line and give it hell with the sand blaster.You have to be careful and remove the meterial verry slowly from the edge first sorta like grinding it off.I have also herd of people using this process for windshields as well but dont know how well it works with laminated glass.To have a custom made windshield you will have to make an EXACT template of the ws from aluminum or steel.Alumunum works better because you can get the curves to form faster on the english wheel.

Heat is a big problem as well. I've had to trim some tempered glass for the home, and I needed about 1/8" trimmed off. I actually sanded it (which makes me believe the above idea may work well), but the key is to keep it cool (water, slow down, whatever is needed) because any appreaciable heat differential will also cause it to shatter.

I just spent six months researching my Z project; just bought two project cars and three parts cars, lined up the garage to work in, lined up storage for all the rest and was ready to start the decision making process concerning which small block to use and I stumble across this thread. With the wide flares I am hoping to use, that chopped top would look fantastic. Oh no! another decision. I will wait and see how the glass situation works out. Peugeot windshield sounds good.

It might be a little while before I do figure out the glass situation. I'm hoping to move onto other (less expensive) parts of the build process until finances are in better shape. But, I will post back when I get the glass situation figured out.

I am wondering if it may be better to "put the cart before the horse", or in other words, find an OEM windshield that is close in dimentions to what you plan to do and make your modifications fit the windshield. The main problem I see with a custom one is replacement in the event it cracks from a flying stone etc, esp. if you need one away from home in a hurry.....

Guest 305240

I have to second the suggestion using a sandblaster. I helped a friend of minr take 6" out of the top of his Camino. We didn't lay it back, just shortened it. We also used Chevelle doors. The windows didn't roll up all the way like they would in a Chevelle, but it worked great with the top chop! Talk to some of the older customizers. I've heard of some using acid, but After working with the sandblaster, I won't use any thing else.

I wonder if a stained glass bandsaw would work. It uses a diamond blade and is water lubricated. I have an extra vent window and a saw at home, so if anyone can tell me if the vent windows are the same glass and construction as the windshield, I'll give it a go and report the results.

years back, one of my uncles chopped the top on one of those japanese challengers/charger or what ever dodge/plymouth called em ...

someone rolled it ...

he bought it to see test his skills ( retired and bored. friends said car couldn't be saved ... was rolled the same day it was sold brand new. think it had maybe 100 miles ).

anyway, when he repaired the roof, he decided to chop it. this moved the roof back a bit ... he laid the top of the windshield down, inside, under the roof. tilted the roof towards the hood (slightly higher in the rear than in the front), filled the area above the windshield ( between the roof and windshield ). then put a dark band across the windshield.

it was really subtle, the lines were perfect. unless it was parked next to a stock one, no idea that almost 2 inches were missing off the top.