HybridZ

Ford 9 Inch - 240Z Conversion

two40

i was surprised to find that there is little information on this topic. maybe i'm not searching on the right terms?

what are the problems that people come across when converting to a Ford 9 inch?

is it difficult to install a 4 link?

how expensive was it for you?

would you do it again if you had the choice?

if you don't have answers maybe you can point me in the right direction to some useful information.

much appreciated.

Im in the process of doing a full cage and 4 link install with a for 8.8. It is taking forever and its expensive if you do it right. my car will be a low 9 sec car and unless you are planning on have 400+rwhp i dont think it would be necessary.

My 2 cents hope it helps

there are some topics out there but just need to dig.

current setup keeps snapping u-joints and i'm afraid going to cv's is going to be a band aid solution and an expensive one at that. i've been quoted AU$1400 for a set and there are no guarantees they will last. i'd rather spend a bit more and have a strong rear so i'm searching for info.

My boys z has a 9 inch with ladder bars, quite a clean install, no major headache's, replacing the rear strut towers with wheel wells was about the most major mod. I added coil over shocks, hooks good, goes straight. Just an 11.20 at 6700 density altitude on motor so that's about a 10.30 or so at sea level.

4 link would be more difficult, but not impossible, has been done. Looks alot easier to do with all the stock rear components removed.

i spoke to my engine mechanic today and he says that with ~450hp at the engine and an auto trans the cv's should hold up to most punishment i give it. the porblem i have is the custom fuel tank gets in the way and having to fab a 4 link system will be a costly job. spoke to a few fabricators today and they don't want to touch it. they'd rather churn out the regular cars they fab because they know them and it's easy money for them i guess. so in the end it looks like i might not need to throw money at it.

this is what i ended up with. bit pricy but i'm happy with them. price ended up too high as my control arms are shorter by 20mm so the shaft had to be shortened even more.

bad quality mobile phone pics. i'll get some decent ones next time i see him.

flange.jpg

splines.jpg

shaft1.jpg

shaft2.jpg

shaft3.jpg

unfortunately my control arms being too short forced me to get these. final price will be AU$1800 which i know is a lot but it included the 25 to 27 spline conversion and i know these are new quality parts so i can forget about the rear end for a while. peace of mind is worth a lot these days

I dont know if I'd go that far.What you have done is move to the next weak link in the system.Unless you have an R230,the old style R200 is not gonna take too many really hard launches.Also,the stub axles seem to have a pretty short lifespan also at those HP levels.You may be the lucky one who never breaks,but I would'nt to get TOO comfy....I am pretty near your HP level in my car and have been lucky so far.If you stay away from a stall converter,and keep nothing stickier than a drag radial (i.e. NO SLICKS),you might get some life out of it.Let us know what kind of 60' time you get when its all together.The clock will tell the story for you.Keep us informed!!

• 13 years later...
On 6/8/2005 at 2:37 AM, stony said:

Like this???????

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00281.jpg

here's my rearend

DSC00284.jpg

Digging up a really old thread....

How wide is your 8.8 WMS to WMS?

I have a narrowed Dana 60 that is 35" WMS to WMS that I will probably put under my latest S30 that is going to get backhalved. 

Thx!!

• 5 months later...