HybridZ

Source for tripple carb linkage parts???

ezzzzzzz

I'd like to convert my 240Z cup/ball linkage to a cable setup. I've read about people doing this but haven't seen any pictures or sources for the pieces needed. In the past, I'd readily fabricate parts to accomodate a project. My desire now is to find available parts to do this without having to make unique one-of-a-kind pieces to suit. An example would be using a Nissan clamp-style cable lever on the crossbar to attach to accelerator cable to. I've never seen one in person but http://www.racetep.com offers one in their cable conversion kit.

I used a mid 80s Nissan truck cable, sourced from the JY for $10. When you remove the gas pedal you'll see how it has a ball end on it that is peened in place. I drilled that peen out and welded a little plate on the end of the pedal, then drilled a hole for the plastic bushing on the throttle cable, and cut a slot to slide the cable in from the side. Just slide the cable in and if your hole is drilled the right size then the plastic bushing just pops right in place. Then it was a pretty simple matter of making the other end that holds the cable. This I did with a piece of angle aluminum, just bolted it to the top of the middle carb and drilled a hole and cut a slot a lot like the pedal end. The carb end of the cable already had a double nut setup to adjust the cable, so I just drilled the hole the right size to use that. I cut the cable end off and bought a new end from one of the Mikuni parts suppliers that fit the ball on the Mikuni linkage, and that was it. I don't have any pictures, and to tell the truth, the whole thing was hacked together the day before a race, so it isn't much to look at. I might take some pics after I make it look nicer, which is one of my "while I'm at its" that I haven't gotten to yet.

I found a number of linkage parts at http://www.racetep.com and will source some items from them. My present idea is to fabricate two brackets. One will mount where the manifold shaft linkage pivots at the firewall. The second bracket will mount off two intake manifold studs. A ball-type fitting will be used to accept a barrel end cable (probably from a bicycle where the cable actually enters through the end of the barrel, not the crossways). The firewall bracket will hold the cable sheathing in a fixed position. The other end of the cable sheathing will fit into an adjustable cable mount at the intake manifold. The cable will start out at the firewall heading to the passenger side and loop back over the valve cover. The cable will finally attach to a cross shaft lever (attached to the shaft facing downward). When the pedal is pressed downward, the cable is pulled via the original bell crank and the cross shaft lever is pulled up towards the valve cover. This, in turn, will rotate the cross shaft actuating the carb throttle levers. Alternately, a cam-style lever (Nissan makes a clamp-on piece but I don't know the application) could be attached to the cross shaft and a pre-fabbed cable assembly could possibly be used.

Unfortunately, the links to linkage are not found at this site. Despite the age of carburation and especially tripple setups, I find the lack of resources to be appalling. Most likely, the best sources are small shops with minmal or no websites. I have a good throttle linkage setup on my Dellorto's and was looking for a cross shaft lever. TWM has one or two ($24 and up) and Pierce has bits and pieces to fabricate what I need too (I think). I'm off to the machine shop to make my own. I'll either fab an aluminum clamp-on lever or a steel shaft collar with flat lever welded on. It's cheaper and makes my work day go quicker. I did hastily order a Lokar 36" throttle cable which I'm sure I can incorporate into the conversion.

• 1 year later...