HybridZ

Best Quality Cowl Hoods

two40

John produces excellent glass. My car is full of his artwork. And that SS hood is sweet. But I'm afraid neither the SS or John's SubtleZ cowl hood is going to give you anymore room for the radiator. Johns cowl is only higher in the rear, a long way from the radiator. And the SS hood actually looks to have less room then the stock hood up near the radiator.

I ran into a similar problem. I used the JTR radiator bracket and the JTR radiator and the cap still touched the hood. This was likely due to the rubber insolators I mounted the radiator on and not Mike Knells engineering.

I think your best bet is to find some way to lower your radiator.

Here is a pic of my radiator clearance.

rad-clearance.JPG

Filter clearance. Will be fine.

filter-clearance.jpg

So afaik as long as the hood has the same bulge starting at the same spot as the stock hood I will be fine. Now it's a question of which cowl hoods have the bulge that begin at the same spot. I also want a high quality one as I live in Australia and can not afford to be buying a poorly fitted one which I have to return or whatever.

Georgia Flash 75V8 has the following one and I've sent him a pm asking him about it. Not sure where he got it from but it looks to be fine.

cowl-georgia.jpg

The Reaction Research one looks fine as well but not sure about clearances there. I have not used the JTR mounting kit and my radiator is as low as it will go so I have to forget that idea and find a hood that has similar clearance at the front to the stock ones.

cheers

• 7 months later...

Type in unlimited hood scoops on your internet search engine and you will find many quality scoops that one supplier offers that feature different cowl heights and shapes which can then be adapted to fiberglass hoods if need be. Cheaper but high quality and many variations. Not the abs plastic stuff.

thanks. i have seen it and it's just too high. a 3" is as high as i would go.

i'm getting desperate for one as well. my filter is severely chocked and my engine builder had to use a recessed mount with a half inch rise on the carby. i'd love to set it up higher with some better air flow.

Type in "unlimited hood scoops" on the net search engine and you will find many quality scoops that one supplier offers that feature different cowl heights which can then be adapted to fiberglass hoods if need be.

thanks. found this last night actually.

http://www.up22.com/falcongto.htm#Datsun%20Z

anyone have a pic of their 3 1/2" hoods? do they fit well? worth the money?

cheers

i have the stock looking fiberglass hood from unlimited and it was allright... nothing special... it had a few pin holes that i had to fill and i had to reinforce the hinge mounts with metal backing and such.... that wont be a problem if you are gonna use hood pins though. I dont know if they take anymore care with the cowl hoods but seeing as they are more than twice as expensive as the one i got, id imagine they would... the one i have i would probably give it a 7 on a scale of 1-10.... overall fit was good though.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...