HybridZ

I'm looking for some templates for 6x9 speakers

PapaSmurf

didnt know where to post this, I'm planning on installing a pair of 6x9s right behind the seats above the storage compartments and I need some templates to cut the wood (my car either did not come with the storage compartments as an option or the interior was redone and the compartments were done away with as the holes for the compartments are there but the inserts are gone and the wood hatch floor has no holes for them either) Does anyone know where I can find a template for a 6x9? These are lightning audios I got them free I just crave a bit more bass than my 4in pioneers can offer lol.

I'm looking for a printable template so I can cut into the wood panel and screw the speakers down not an adaptor though I could make a template out of that but it's a lot of trouble, a lot of speakers just come with cardboard templates but these didnt.

they have tweeters on them so I cant trace also the hole they go into must be smaller than the circumferance of the speaker so there is no real way to make your own template by tracing anyways. I want this to look professional. This is a standard speaker size there must be a printable template somewhere...

If I didn't have the tmplate (and I looked on the net, hard to find) I would trace the shape of the speaker. First cut a hole in a sheet of cardboard a bit bigger than the tweeter. Put this on a bucket or something. Next tape a sheet of paper on the cardboard. Cut out the same hole. Place the speaker upside down on the paper so the tweeter is in the hole. Trace an outline on the paper with a pencil. Now you have the outside area of the speaker. Mark where the mount holes are too. Next you will want to offset the line enough so the speaker will fit and still have enough room for the mounting screws to grab. I would scan into autocad and redraw then offset. But that is me. I love autocad and I am fast. Either way that should get you a pretty good template. Try it out on some cardboard. If it is too tight then trim it up.

Good luck. And if you want scan the drawing and I'll redraw it in cad and send you the file. I can also laser cut a template out of plex if you want. Just pay for shipping.

• 2 weeks later...
they have tweeters on them so I cant trace also the hole they go into must be smaller than the circumferance of the speaker so there is no real way to make your own template by tracing anyways. I want this to look professional. This is a standard speaker size there must be a printable template somewhere...

If you want it to look like a profesional job, take it to a professional who has the skills, knowledge, and abilities! The word CAN'T never gets a job done and you CAN use your existing speakers to make a template! However, it does require the aforementioned skills, knowledge, and ability. You might try taking a piece of thin cardboard (template material), cut out a hole big enough to clear the tweeter, place it over the speaker assy and them turn it face down supported by a couple of spacers (2 x 4s or books) so the tweeter if not touching your working surface. Now trace around the outside of the speaker....remove the template from the speaker. Now replicate the area on the speaker that will constitutes the speaker opening and transfer it to the template.....make your final cuts on the template and now you have your installation template! Sounds harder than it is.

• 2 months later...