HybridZ

Go Supreme Court!

auxilary

Kinda ironic that the more liberal members of the court come up with this decision that helps business, and that the conservatives on the Supreme Court would be on the side of the little guy. I guess more than big business vs little guy, this one is about TAX REVENUE. Bunch o BS if you ask me.

Alex, did you see this steaming pile o crap this morning? http://news.yahoo.com/fc/health/medical_marijuana

I sure am glad the govt is there to unilaterally decide what I can do and where I should live.

I didn't see that, but I recall last week about the medical pot being declared illegal

which is pretty lame. Weed is such a common thing in our society, they may as well legalize it with some restrictions. It would certainly put a lot of people at ease, and govt. could get a TON of money by taxing marijuana.

But no one ever thinks of that!

...and govt. could get a TON of money by taxing marijuana.

But no one ever thinks of that!

Every pot head I have ever known crows incessantly about that. Trouble is the stuff is so easy to grow that the tax revenue would be minimal at best. And of course, as every pot head knows, there would be no added cost or deleterious effects of legalizing it!

no no, i'm not advocating legalization of growing it... I'm advocating legalization of sales and controlled distribution.

growing it would still be illegal. But when you can buy it over the counter with a license instead of risking being arrested for buying it from a dealer, it can be taxed like tobacco.

you don't see anyone growing their own tobacco, do you? :) when it's legal, people get lazy and would rather pay for a prepare product rather than put effort into it.

and to clarify, I'm not a pothead. I tried it once, and since I'm a control freak when it comes to bodily functions, I disliked it a lot.

I think the Supreme Court is wrong on this one. Siezing private property for government use is one thing, but taking your property for a private use is just plain wrong. It opens the door for way to many crooked political deals.

John

Just what we all need... MORE strip malls and office buildings. I can see this turning into a bad thing. I can't afford a home (in SoCal), but when I do finally purchase one I want to feel secure that it is MY property and can't be siezed for development.

Sorry, didn't mean to get so off topic, my point was to show the amount of "protection" we get from the gov't. Personally I've never smoked pot but I'm one of the very very few I know in my age group who hasn't. The point is more that the people who have smoked it haven't succumbed to "Refer Madness" or anything like it. It seems to me no worse than alcohol, yet we chose to make pot illegal because white people in the 30's were afraid of crazed Mexican stoners raping their daughters. And I would agree with Alex on the growing issue and say to Pop that tomatoes are very easy to grow, but I still see them at the store every time I go.

As to Alex's original story, I'm not too pleased with the idea that the local govt can decide that it is better for the community I live in for my home to be demolished.

Guest Phil1934
Kinda ironic that the more liberal members of the court come up with this decision that helps business, and that the conservatives on the Supreme Court would be on the side of the little guy. I've always considered O'Connor one of the good guys. I am surprised Scalia sided with her. And of course Thomas always just asks how Scalia voted. He hasn't had an original thought or written more than one or two opinions since he got there. They might as well name this the Wal Mart law. Why pay a fair price when a couple dollars to a local official will get you the property? And if it's not for sale, it's not for sale.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that this is just the beginning of the loss of freedom in a big big way. They say history repeats itself, I hope that isn't correct, The boston tea party was to prove a point, I don't think you can prove a point in the same fashion these days but it'll be interesting. This is why I enjoy living out here where my closes neighbor is 1 mile away.

W/ every new law that's passed, we're getting one step closer to the "Red". (that's communism for readers that are too young to remember. lol.)

All in the name of the "Greater Good."

As for the comment by Pop N Wood about ppl growing their own marijuana, how many ppl do you know grow their own tobacco, or brew their own whiskey? In the end, it's pretty much going to be the same thing. At first, there will be ppl growing their own; however, once they realize that it's cheaper/better/less hassle to buy it, I think there will a lot of $$$ to be made by the government. Not only more $$$ to be made, but a LOT less money to be wasted on the Govn't's end in continuing this Drug Crusade.

If you don't believe me, check out the movie/documentary "Grass" @ your local movie rental store. It is one sided, but then what documentary isn't.

And maybe, just maybe, if they make enough $$$, there could stop passing laws that infringe on our rights of freedom.

Just my $0.02, and no, I am NOT a smoker.

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com

Let's see, the local gov't can take my home or business because they know more about the common good than I do and now I hear noise about making the flag a sacred image again. No I'm not going to go burn a flag but I don't need a constitutional admendment to tell me what is right and wrong either. Land of the free and home of the brave is just a line in a song now.

Mark

Every man's home is his castle unless private corporate need and greed overides that right..... who is to stand in the way of a strip mall.......absolutely disgusting interpretation of our constitional rights.....we are out fighting a handful of terrorists while China and India are flooding our markets with plastic imports that sends the world price of oil out of our reach. We got the best politicians money can buy and judges who should have retired 20 years ago.How can we make the American flag sacred when every new flag is imported from foreign countries

I totally agree, that we are getting closer to the red and or the old german ways of doing things, now they can come and seize your property against you will and you have to take it like it or not.

Thats just insane. What is the use of working and making something for yourself when it can just be pulled out from under you, I dont get it what is this world coming to.

Just another thing that makes you go hmmm

you don't see anyone growing their own tobacco, do you? :) when it's legal, people get lazy and would rather pay for a prepare product rather than put effort into it.

I live in Maryland so yes, I do see people growing their own tobacco. Trouble is it is a god awful lot of work and there aren't many states that you can grow tobacco in. On the other hand I have read studies that claim states like Illinois have the best growing conditions in the world. I have known enough pot head who were too lazy to throw out the empty domino's boxes from their living rooms, yet some how were industrious enough to always have a "crop" in the ground or under a set of metal halides.

You can't very well legalize pot but keep it illegal to grow for personal consumption. That would be absolutely impossible to enforce. So if you try to tax it too heavily, people will simply plant a few seeds next to their tomatoes and the tax revenues won't earn enough money to pay for the enforcement by the "revenuers".

Been there, seen that.

As for this supreme court ruling, it does seem funny how the conservative court members were all against it yet the liberals voted for it. That is until you realize that the "liberal" members are all court activist types who believe government knows more than private citizens. They believe it is the government's responsiblity to protect individuals from themselves.

Just realize that there is nothing in this ruling to prevent local governments from passing laws preventing such actions.