HybridZ

Gonna try this swap

I'm about to try this v8 swap into a 1982 280zx..but need some tech help if possible..did some research on the net..some great info..some not..I have parts of the swap all ready..350 cu.in block..700r4 tranny(out of 1988 chev van with drive shaft-wiring etc)..(not sure if tranny is good choice etc)...if anyone has detailed info or mount specs etc..all info would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard.....First things first, if you havent read the rules for this site then I suggest you do. One of the biggest rules is to do a search first. There is a pretty good amount of info for 280ZX V8 swaps.

MSA(www.zcarparts.com) sells a mounting kit for 350/700R4 combos.

JTR(www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html) is starting to sell a few parts for the 280ZX swap.

Start reading all the old posts and you should get an idea of what is involved to perform teh swap.

Guy

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick thanks to the welcoming members...at this point of things I'm pretty much commited to doing this v8 swap...yanked original motor and tranny past weekend..anyone need a good used drive train?..lol...and Your right..there is a wealth of info in the treads..(never read some much on any one subject)...will keep things posted as I go..and again..thanks }:o)

The JTR books wont help with the details of the swap but it is good to read because it will give you a good overview of what is all involved with swapping in a V8. It wont have any details for things like wiring. So you will have to get a good wiring diagram from either a factory service manual or even a Haynes manual will work(I used a Haynes). You will be spending more time on here searching threw the database than you would if you had a GEN 1 Z. The JTR book is pretty much a step by step for installing a carbed V8 in a GEN 1 Z.

Guy

The wiring shouldn't be much of a issue ...I'm gutting all the electronics out the zx and replacing it all with the wiring harness out of the donor van..since it has a wiring gremlin in it someplace...won't hold a charge on the battery..replaced the alt and battery etc etc etc and gave up metering and probing wires, I think it's easier to gut the harness and run the chevy original harness with the engine..the donor van engine is carbed with a 700r4 tranny so no computors or fuely stuff to mess with,(other then gauges and fuel tank system, etc),And Your definatly right Guy...more and more hours of research on Hybridz,...theres not alot of zcars up north here and far far fewer v8 z's,(if any at all..I've never heard of any)

Forget the post about stripping out the engine bay..took cpl hours after supper and gutted it all..left the basics and painted it all..lots of room in there now...next step will be the dash and cabin area...I'll take some pics..will have to figure out where and how to post em

Guest 305240

Old threads rock! I've learned more from reading them than I have on any other forum. I'm sorry to say, some of the older pics have turned into the dreaded red x's tho.