HybridZ

Jon's 2 year roll cage saga...

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Dan. I wanted as much 3 dimensionality as I could get, if that makes sense, so I went as low as possible on the A pillar. At this height I had to dent the fenderwells a bit for clearance, and was right at the bottom of the fenderwell to firewall junction, so that's about as low as I could go. I wish I could have made the tubes hit the strut tower directly, but about 1" away from the strut tower was the best I could do. There just wasn't any room to weld. I think if I had done these first and then the tubes to the dash bar it would have worked. Again, live and learn...

What? No paint???

lol.

I have had the paint on my interior for 1 year and the damn thing is still not complete.

What no paint are you talking about? Mine's painted with Zero Rust and a top coat of gray rustoleum. I think I'm going to regret the Rustoleum, supposedly it scratches off interior parts really easily. Apparently they have a new epoxy version for appliances that is supposed to be more durable for interiors.

I have pretty much figured it out in my head, that it is cheaper in the long run to order automotive paint and the most basic parts of the product system. You don't need every type of additive on the list to do the interior, engine bay and underside. I used single stage NASON paint.

The automotive paint is so much tougher than the types of paint sold at the hardware stores. It is also VERY DANGEROUS if you breathe the droplets into your lungs. The paint goes on thick and lays out smooth. It resists sags and runs. It hardens to a mind boggling shine. The stuff is so damn glossy you do doubletakes before you put your hands on it.

I have pretty much figured it out in my head, that it is cheaper in the long run to order automotive paint and the most basic parts of the product system. You don't need every type of additive on the list to do the interior, engine bay and underside. I used single stage NASON paint.

The automotive paint is so much tougher than the types of paint sold at the hardware stores. It is also VERY DANGEROUS if you breathe the droplets into your lungs. The paint goes on thick and lays out smooth. It resists sags and runs. It hardens to a mind boggling shine. The stuff is so damn glossy you do doubletakes before you put your hands on it.

I agree.

I pretty much wasted my money on all the times I painted my engine bay using roll on or spray can. They all don't adhere to surfaces as well as automotive paint.

I just finished painting my engine bay with a single stage and hopefully it's thhe last time I paint it.

I had my engine compartment painted with Rustoleum for the last 10 years. Looked great. Held up great. I painted the exterior with Rustoleum. It seems to be coming out pretty good too, I haven't wet sanded it yet. The interior takes a lot more wear, and that's where I regret using Rustoleum, because it is apparent that it is going to be a problem already.