HybridZ

Who wants VOLK knock off wheels?

So, my friend works for a distributor/reseller. I was over there today BS'ing at their BBQ, and we were talking about wheels....

slv.jpg

specifically rota grid wheels. They're VOLK te37 knock offs, but they only come in 4x100 or 5x114.3 bolt patterns, and +40 offset. Sucks, huh?

here's a volk te37 for comparison

DSC_9410.jpg

Anyway, long story short: they have a setup with rota to produce the GRID wheels (shown above) for toyota ae86s in 4x114.3 with +10 offset in 16x8. This is perfect for those with coilovers wanting to fit 245/45/16 tire in the Z correctly without flares.

The MSRP for that setup is about 200/wheel. If we can get a few people going on this, there's probably a discount involved :)

edit: My friend just weighed these, they are 17.5lbs each in 16x8

Thoughts? I'm going to see if we can test fit this setup over my 4 piston calipers w/ 300zx vented rotors to see what the clearance is. I'll also see if I can get a picture of hte +10 offset wheel instead of the 40 shown above, it looks much better

If interested, contact Dana at AutoRnD.com (contact info on their site) and tell him Alex referred you to the rota grid setup from hybridZ. He'll know

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't know the cost for your offset, len... they're oddball lug pattern, 4x110.4, aren't they?

Don't know what the offset is, but I can say for sure that the patern on a 2nd gen RX7 is the same as datsun Z. I have two Z 6 spoke 14"s on the front of my 86 rx right now. :)

Im doing the gsl se front suspension conversion soon, converts them all to 4x4.5. So far so good with the rotary car, just wish it had some power. Im going to learn how to full throttle the altamont drift course before I start with the power though. My friends (drift instructors and rx7 freaks) insist that I learn to drive the 12a car like a maniac before I upgrade hp. I said OK.

OK, I will bolt up my toyota 4 pot vented caliper combo to the strut on monday, and slap a wheel on it.

However, I don't have a crossmember to attach it to for a test fitment (let alone fenders on a car), but it will establish good idea of clearance for front 4 piston vented conversion and I'll also test fit the wheel in hte rear with the MML 240sx conversion. That part has a fender :)

pics to come monday or tues.

I'm becoming more interested in this, looking forward to seeing the pictures!

I'm going to assume that these are only available in the one finish? (silver?)

Would LOVE to have polish lip with black/gunmetal center...that would make all the difference in the world to me.

Yeah, wait until tonight. My friend got the wheel, and after I get home from work I'll have pictures I'll post later.

sparky: actually the only finish will be bronze like this:

PICT0004.sized.jpg

in fact, they look like that. but with deeper offset.

OK, I managed to snag a wheel from my friend for short bit (very pressed for time, so I had a small window, and this is the only set he had). It's a Rota Grid 16x8, +10mm offset, 114.3x4 bolt pattern

Honestly, it's an awesome looking wheel as far as a knock off goes.

PICT0033.sized.jpg

PICT0034.sized.jpg

PICT0035.sized.jpg

PICT0037.sized.jpg

PICT0039.sized.jpg

Here's the test fit result... you'll have to forgive me, but my car lacks a front crossmember and front fenders, so I don't know the fitment on the front....

They will easily clear a 240sx brake swap. No problems there. The rim is almost flush with stock bodylines, stepping out just a hair in the rear. I think with 245 tires it'll be a flush fit.

PICT0046.sized.jpg

PICT0042.sized.jpg

PICT0045.sized.jpg

PICT0043.sized.jpg

PICT0046.sized.jpg

The problem is with the front... Won't clear toyota vented 4x4 swap. The hubcentric portion of the wheel touches the caliperOne would need to grind down some iron on the caliper (safe, they're cast iron, lots of meat to work with) and put in maybe an 5-8mm spacer.

PICT0048.sized.jpg

PICT0050.sized.jpg

Again, I don't have EXACT measurements because I had limited time. When he gets another set, I'll get better results. And hopefully I'll have fenders and crossmember to work with :)

Hi res pics here:

http://www.datsunracing.com/gallery/rotas