HybridZ

starting old Z

innerware

Hey all. So I am finally having some time to work on the 77Z I bought a few weeks ago. It sat for 7 years covered up and I am trying to start it to see what the engine is like. Supposedly rebuilt head 20k before it sat and 140k on whole car. I put some oil in each cylinder (spark plug location), changed the fuel filter, oil filter and oil. It really looked like it was givin a tune up right before it was covered and forgotten. It has good spark and cranks beautifully.

First question. There is a small delay right when I turn the key to start before it cranks. Not like my 78 car that is my daily driver which starts right away. Why? Ignition relay or switch?

Second question. I have no fuel. I pulled the fuseable links and tested them and they were fine. I pulled the pump wires and tested on acc. and got nothing. I will try again tomorrow. I should get 12volts across the pump leads when turning it to acc. right before start right? I can't hear it prime when I turn it to acc either. Where should I look?

I think this is the problem for sure. Everything else is ok so far. But no fuel. Is there another place to check? The fuel pump relay?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks again,

Kyle

jump the fuel pump with a long wire hooked up to battery +, if it doesnt come on, odds are its the fuel pump. fuel relay+efi relay is located under the dash and goes out sometimes. Could be as easy as a fuel pump.

clean the lead to starter solenoid, if its cranking but with a small delay could be corrosion, just pull off the lead and put it back on again and see if cranking gets any better.

Check battery voltage while cranking, if its under 9v car wont start.

Do the running lights and start circuits work ok? With the fusible links, I usually use pliers and I crush them off the car at the leads- just to the points that the female ends of the fusible links touch other , so that when I put them back on they go on really tight, works wonders as well. This is a way to make sure that they are secure.

Like fl327 said, check out that solenoid. Often it will be corrosion, or just looseness, at the nut that afixes the solenoid connection to the motor. Loosen it if you can, wire brush it, and retighten it. It's very common to have 12 volts to the solenoid from the positive battery cable but lose voltage due to corrosion from the solenoid to the starter motor itself. DAW

thanks. I will recheck the connections. We actually pulled the starter and I cleaned the terminals a bit. But I will make double sure. I used some 320 grit and made them shine. All the connections really need going over in this car. I will also try the jump method with the fuel pump. We did this with the starter before because at first it wouldn't crank. I cleaned everything and put it back on and it turned over. I'll post what I find. But it sure is nice to have a car on jack stands that doesn't need to be a daily driver. And fl327, I am putting the Toyota brakes on this car instead of my 78 that we worked on. I'll be doing the suspension again too on the 77. I'll keep you posted on the progress and if I need some help I will yell real loud. How's the new project yourself?

Thanks all,

Kyle

On all my old Z's that I hauled in that had been sitting like that, the fuel pump was usually gummed up from the gas separating. I'd tear that fuel pump apart and make sure she was pumping good and if you still don't get any gas I'd switch lines from the tank and pull from the return line (just to get her started) I know its a PITA because of the different line sizes but its a temporary fix to get the car running. I had to resurrect one that was sitting in a garage for over 20 years under a cover and those following things worked for me. Good Luck!

boost on

I dont know if anyone would agree with this method,but every injected Z I have ever resurrected,I check for voltage at the pump with a test light 1st(usually has power),then beat on the blasted thing with a hammer till it frees back up.Usually gets it going,but a new pump is likely in your near future.Good luck(and drain that old gas before you run the crud through your whole system).

I thought of draining the old gas. But that is a pain in the ars. I wasn't sure if the gage was working or not until yesterday. It didn't come with a battery. After I gave it power the gage didn't seem to work, or I was completely out of gas. I added 4 gallons of new 89 octane from 76 and one of those gas treament bottles. My hopes were that I could save what was in there and run the car a bit. (And the gage does work.) Then plan on replacing the filters again. I have never dropped a gas tank before so that seemed daunting. Hopefully it is just the pump. We shall soon see.

Thanks again all,

Kyle