HybridZ

Exhaust Manifold?!?!

AnTmanS130T

Well I have a pretty modified l28et and it seems that the exhaust manifold gives nothing but trouble. As soon as the new motor was built it ran great and then after a few months I heard extremely loud ticking.. looked over everything besides the exhaust manifold later to find out that it was totally loose and leaking. So I drive it for a month or two and the gasket goes which the car ran horrible and barely built any boost etc. Ok so I clean the surface buy a new gasket and spray it with copper. It runs great for a little and then begins to tick again so I tighten all the bolts and it's ok .. for some reason I don't understand why the bolts become loose so quick. I mean it needs to be tighten about every 2 weeks or so. It's ridiculous. A few days ago I hear it ticking again and today I go to retighten them.. well all of them are good besides one I come across.. I put the wrench on it and the nut just spins and so I go (wow it's really loose) I keep turning it and come to find out the thread hole on the head is shot. Does everyone experiece the manifold always giving trouble and if so is there a good solution to this. A friend of mine said I can put stainless steel helicoils in and buy butter bolts and it should never have problems again. He mentioned the stock bolts suck and the the head being aluminum tightening them so much (which needs to be done for the fact of it being loose all the time ) will strip easily. I am pretty pissed off at this car :x If anyone has advice or personal experiences please post them.

Sounds like it got over torqued. Bolt stretch is what keeps it tight. Once that is gone there is no force left to hold it and the threads get buggered up. Personally I always use new bolts on engine parts. Some of that stuff is torque to yield and can only be used once. Drill and coil time.

Put some aluminum anti seize on the bolts and torque to the proper number.

have you check to see if your manifold is flat/straight? I know it might seem to be a silly question, but if it's even a little warped, that could be why you've been having problems keeping it to seal and over torquing the bolts. I've also heard of going to studs all around and not using bolts. Studs can handle more torque before stripping than a bolt will

I honestly never had the manifold checked for straightness, I think it may be off and causing these problems. Good point, I was thinking this a while ago when the gasket blew from the number 6 runner which is usually the one that determines the manifold is warped.

the next question is...what gasket are you using? I;ve had teriblle problems getting anything other than the nissan gasket to seal properly. The OEM gasket is far superior and sealing vs felpro or other paper style gaskets

• 1 year later...