HybridZ

which starters' which?

Guest coolmesser

Guest coolmesser

dragged the 350 and tranny out of the 88 Suburban yesterday - but there is NO WAY that this starter is gonna clear. It looks like a monster. The JTR manual shows a nice selection but I'd rather not order one new...

...does anyone know which stock starter fits?

What year car are you putting it in?

I have a '77 280Z and the standard direct drive starter fits perfectly fine (even thought the JTR manual says it won't fit). The problem, though, is that it's kinda tight getting to the wiring if you try to wire it up after the starter is bolted in. But...once it's in, you won't have to mess with it anymore (hopefully)

there is a company on ebay selling brand new high torque mini starters for $70 I think. thats where i got mine, and it has worked great so far.

I got one sitting in my garage that lasted about a day and a half...I get no response from them. The starter turns over, but, something seems to be wrong with the clutch portion of the gear reduction...

That's how I figured out the direct drive starter works :)

I'd suggest the smaller starter out of a 1988-199? model GM truck..the 4.3 litre v6 starter interchanges with the small block v8 one...I replaced a wore out starter in my 1989 chev pick up with 4.3 (smaller starter) with the one out of a 1988 chevy van 305 cu.in (larger starter), keep in mind the the smaller starter costs few dollars more to buy at auto parts store but at a pick a part they should cost the same, should clear up a clearance problem for you.

Guest 305240

Some food for thought. If you go to any auto parts store, chnaces are you will be buying a rebuilt starter. We all know how much they want for them these days.

There is a choice! Almost every town/city has an old hole in the wall place that only does starters and altinators. These guys are WAY under the auto parts stores. They know their business. Their prices are almost always less than half than anywhere else. Plus, if it goes out, they will rebuild or repair it for you.

Price diff....I needed a voltage reg for my 89 3500. NAPA= 53 bux, AutoZone= 47 bux. Local alt/starter rebild place, 20 bux. You can bet the farmers, loggers, heave equipment owners know where all these places are. Hmmm, wonder where the big parts places get their parts?

• 1 year later...