HybridZ

4 cyl w/automatic options

onephatz

ok I've got a 82 maxima as my daily driver. I'm wanting to put a little newer motor in it. maybe something with hydrolic lifters, better balancing, easier access to parts ect. I've been looking for options in the 4cyl engine area and seem to be having a hard time finding something in the 1.6-1.8L range that is rwd and that I could put a turbo on in the future. since this is my daily I want to keep the automatic slush box. the next thing is, it has to be something that I can find in a junkyard(ie: no JDM stuff). Ideas?

ca18e(t)? (200sx)

others?

thanks

jesse

The KA24DE may be a good choice for you. It is a little bigger at 2.4l. It makes like 155hp/150tq-ish in stock form and will get over 25 mpg. At the same time, people are bolting turbo's onto them as well. The came in 240sx's from 1991-98 and since the SR20 swap is the hot trend in 240sx world now, they are pretty cheap if you look (I just paid $250 for engine/trans/ECU/wiring)

yeah, the ka would be the way to go for one of the older maximas in the 4 cylinder world. good low end torque to pull the bigger car around yet still has decent top end. to top it all off its a very strong engine.

the only problem i can see is being fuel injected and all that fun stuff wiring might be a tiny bit of a headache.

if you decide on something bigger like a v6, go with the vg30e. plenty available, insanely reliable, they're used in both rwd and fwd setups with lots of tranny options available (shitty borg warner tranies from non-turbo Z31's, shitty borg warner trannies from 84-86 turbo Z31's, awesome nissan trannies from 87-89 Z31 turbos and 90-96 Z32's), plus they can be turbocharged for a lot of fun. i have a 1990 maxima with the vg30e. i swapped in a vg30et and its a blast to drive. my only wish was that it was rwd because of the fwd borg warner tranny is built so poorly that they don't even last with stock power output.

yeah' date=' the ka would be the way to go for one of the older maximas in the 4 cylinder world. good low end torque to pull the bigger car around yet still has decent top end. to top it all off its a very strong engine.

the only problem i can see is being fuel injected and all that fun stuff wiring might be a tiny bit of a headache.

if you decide on something bigger like a v6, go with the vg30e. plenty available, insanely reliable, they're used in both rwd and fwd setups with lots of tranny options available (shitty borg warner tranies from non-turbo Z31's, shitty borg warner trannies from 84-86 turbo Z31's, awesome nissan trannies from 87-89 Z31 turbos and 90-96 Z32's), plus they can be turbocharged for a lot of fun. i have a 1990 maxima with the vg30e. i swapped in a vg30et and its a blast to drive. my only wish was that it was rwd because of the fwd borg warner tranny is built so poorly that they don't even last with stock power output.[/quote']

he has an extra 84 300zx n/a auto at his place

didn't that vintage maxima also come with a L28E?

no, all earlier maxima(and 810's) had the L24e. I've got a few L28's and a few early vg30e's sitting at my shop but was looking for something that was a smaller displacement(better milage) but could be turbocharged and still hold up to boost. the next big consideration is an automatic that will hold up to x amount of hp coming out of a little 4.

i've been organizing my extra parts and am gonna be liquidating most everything soon. I just have to figure out what I need to keep.

jesse

btw wiring is fine with me as long as I have a wiring diagram ;)