HybridZ

somebody needs to make these for us!

Guest ON3GO

how about some skyline or z32 calipers and brakes!

mike

Not my cup of tea. Nissan revised that caliper design a few times due to the light ones flexing a lot and the heavy ones, well they're heavy! Those are a very hefty rotor as well. Stripped same stuff from my S14 shortly after purchase and put my own custom 13" setup on it, dropped some unnecessary weight and gained wheel clearance (those calipers typically protrude forward notably). Keep in mind those setups were typically intended to stop 3500+ lb cars on Z32's. Their's a number of old posts here where this was discussed and a couple guys brewed their own Z32 caliper solution and both stated in hindsight they wouldn't do it again.

Guest Z Draci

Ross is right about those aluminum calipers flexing in the heavy 300ZX and Skyline GT-R's. They began to make them out of iron but those are pretty heavy things to put on light S30's! It'll really hurt the car due to increasing upsprung weight. Also, don't forget that these calipers were on cars with something like +35 offset wheels. They won't clear your typical '70s zero offset wheels without some spacers. The turbo Silvia's also came with them, but Japanese guys dumped them for bigger/lighter upgrades. If you didn't know, these Nissan 4-pots have a passionate hate group in Japan. LOL

Japanese people do that mod because they have a huge abundance of those calipers. We have the cheaper alternative in the Toyota calipers. If you need more than that, Arizona Z Car and Ross's Modern Motorsports provides more than adequate braking kits available for a reasonable price.

The appeal of the 300ZX/GT-R calipers is that they have the Nissan logo on them. I'd personally would rather have "AP Racing" on mine . . .

Thats pretty much what my front brakes will end up being, R32 4-spot sumitono's with a 298mm vented rotor, ive build a bracket out of MDF and it looks a sh#tload like the mounting bracket in that pic, very very similar,

Ive figured (by putting my R32 calipers on scales) that they weigh 4.1lbs approx, the stock Zed calipers weigh about 9.2lbs from memory,

The rotor im using is = 9.2kgs (20.24lbs)

The stock Zed rotor is = 5.5kgs (12.1lbs)

So stock Zed setup weighs = 21.3lbs approx

New Brakes will weigh = 25lbs approx,

So my new brakes weight a touch more, but there is alot more stopping power,

These 4-spot sumitono's are cheap as, almost as cheap as buying a set of PBR's from a VT Commodore,

But as the last bloke said, they are not the greatest calipers in the world, but id still take them over PBR's and probably Wilwood Superlites and Dynalites because they have dust seals, and most folks ive spoken to say Wilwoods Flex like crazy, or atleast there lower end stuff

So stock Zed setup weighs = 21.3lbs approx

New Brakes will weigh = 25lbs approx' date='

So my new brakes weight a touch more, but there is alot more stopping power,

These 4-spot sumitono's are cheap as, almost as cheap as buying a set of PBR's from a VT Commodore,

But as the last bloke said, they are not the greatest calipers in the world, but id still take them over PBR's and probably Wilwood Superlites and Dynalites because they have dust seals, and most folks ive spoken to say Wilwoods Flex like crazy, or atleast there lower end stuff[/quote']

?? Tony, I respect the efforts you've put into matching up various parts etc. A few comments which we covered in our lengthy string of emails a while back as well, rotating weight changes are far more significant than the unsprung weight of a caliper. Your 12+8 lb rotor addition your car will feel in both braking and accelerating, a local racer who's very straight up feels quite a difference in acceleration between his 3 piece race wheels and street setup, it's rotating mass. It's the PBR comment I take exception to chiefly, your R32 calipers IF they're same as the Z32 aluminum version are not in same class performance wise as the PBR's. Not sure why you'd prefer the R32's, vs. the PBR's excellent DOT dust sealed caliper that's been long proven and stood the test of many uses without issues such as we've seen with the Z32's short lived redesign's.

My fronts are the aluminium Z32 type on ~295x28mm rotors which do work quite well. However there does appear to be some flex in the system because the brake pedal is not as hard as some. I guess that it would be fairly easy to test the the Z32 type for flex using a dial gauge on the body while working the brakes with the car stationary.

However for the next project I will probably go with the PBR slider type, the Corvette C5's apparently are excellent although for them the ~32mm thick rotor should be 325-340mm diameter. The big thing with the slider type is less outside bulk, better wheel clearance.

Overall for anything other than a hi-spec dedicated race car, IMHO the PBR's are the best practical choice.

I've got the Z32 stuff front and rear on my 72 Z. Very good braking system. I can beat on it all day at the track and it works very well. At the time I did it there were not the options for this car that there are now. I'm doing another car and I'll use a different system this time. Less expensive than the Z32 system and "should" be even better.

Ross,

Im not sure whether the R32 are the same as the Z32 calipers, but id surprised if there was that much difference between them,

Im pretty much just going on what alot of folks have said to me, if you have the choice between a 4-spot and a 2-spot and they are compartiable in piston size then choose the 4-spots,

But as 260det said,

"Overall for anything other than a hi-spec dedicated race car, IMHO the PBR's are the best practical choice."

This is pretty much what everyone ive spoken to has said about the PBR's, a very very good caliper, cheap as, lots of pad selection, slightly larger pistons than the R32/Z32 calipers and will never ever fade with daily driving and is still a pretty decent track caliper, pretty much the same comments ive heard about the R32/33/34 4-spots

Thanks Mark!

tonycharger72,

The Z32 iron calipers are the same 280x30mm as the R32.

Unless these are going on an all-out race Z, the alumi Z32 calipers should be fine, no? Say for street duty and occasional strip/track use? My Z32 is like 4400lbs!

Owen

Mate said hes got a Z32, with about 400-450hp, took it to a few local race-tracks, said he had no flexing issues, but after about 6-7laps the brakes started to get really really hot, said he changed brake pads, used different brake fluid and it pretty much solved the heat issues, atleast for a few more laps, but said his Z32's calipers didnt appear to flex,

Im thinking these calipers are going to be awesome for my car and all the braking ill ever need :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Front brakes are finished,

They are the same idea as the aforementioned brakes, but the brackets arent as pretty, my brackets could be trimmed up quite a bit though im thinking, they are 10mm thick plate steel at their thinnest,

Heres some pics

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=4018&cat=500&page=1

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=4020&cat=500&page=1

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=4019&cat=500&page=1

The brakes are,

Hoppers Stoppers Custom 5-stud hubs,

R32 GTS-T 4-Spot Sumitono's (30mm spacing),

2001-on BA Ford Falcon Rotors (298 x 28mm),

And the custom'd caliper mounting brackets,

You can get these BA Falcon Rotors in undrilled, so im pretty sure you could avoid the Custom 5-stud hubs, use original 1970-78 Zed hubs, modify the rotor for the correct PCD and centre hole diameter and everything eles should be a straight bolt-up, so would just need your original hubs, R32 or Z32 Calipers, Undrilled BA Falcon rotors and the brackets - cheap'n'easy :-)

I swapped a set of those "junky" z32 calipers and rotors to a s13 more than once, and they STOP... as for early z car, the vented four piston is about the same and its pretty easy, but those suckers bolt onto on a s13 just need to get the four lug rotor from brembo or drill the stock z32...