HybridZ

TT 350 Update

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hanns, I can play by your rules except for the hood scoop and registration thing. As for registration, I'm getting it wired up so I can have lights when I take it to the DMV. The hood scoop is really cosmetic. I could have fit everthing underneath the stock hood if I really wanted to, so I'm asking for a waiver on that one.

Oh, one more thing. I did not cut the fender, but I took a hammer to the strut tower to give better clearance for one of my wastegates. It would have fit without pounding-just made things a little easier. Besides, cutting isn't the same as hammering, so please cut me a little slack here.

Here in hollans, my friend Xander well it is his wet dream i guess!!

but the 'dmv' (rdw) does not like to extra cylinders and it is allot of hassle and $ to get them to like it...

Though he could pull to plug wires ... it would be running on six then ;)

But he does not like carbs so an LS1 ?

But on the note of this thread! i think pounding is in a way other leage than cutting ! !! :) so it should be allowed ( objective bystander point of view )

Actually, I have already had a dyno run on it and I was somewhat dissappointed. We got 450 at the rear wheels and 500 ft/lb torque, but I am at a mile high altitude (20% hit in hp), and the boost was only at 8 psi. We were only going for some baseline numbers and used a basic fuel injection map. I'll get everything sorted out before cranking up the boost and tuning on the dyno.

No I haven't been driving it. It's been down in my basement getting wired up so I can have it registered. Believe it or not, my garage has 4 bays, and one of the bays has a ramp into the unfinished basement--the house used to be owned by a car dealer and this is where he kept his car collection. I've fired it up though, just to listen to it. It's amazing how quickly carbon monoxide can build up in a confined space and how dizzy you get when that stuff builds up in your bloodstream. It's worth it, though, to hear that rumble. As for the heat shield, I'll be making one up soon.

The hood scoop is really cosmetic. I could have fit everthing underneath the stock hood if I really wanted to, so I'm asking for a waiver on that one. I took a hammer to the strut tower to give better clearance for one of my wastegates. It would have fit without pounding-just made things a little easier. Besides, cutting isn't the same as hammering, so please cut me a little slack here.

O.K,O.K.....I'll consider it close enough to fit within the strict interpretation of the "Turbo Meister" rules.:wink:

Besides, your Z and the turbo installation looks so good that you can set your own rules.:-D

By the way things are progressing we may have our own turbo V8 Z thread here. DR Hunt and Tim240z should have their turbo set-ups done soon. Are there any others under construction?

Hanns

Are you sure you can fit this set-up in your Z?

The valve cover modification looks good and it should help.

How much clearance is there for the turbo exhaust and the inner fender, strut tower?

Did you know that your turbo kit is featured on the front cover of the Hugh MacInnes "Turbochargers" book?

The Gale Banks setup is a problem in our cars because of the strut towers. I had actually purchased a very pretty set of stainless steel headers meant for a Camaro during my build. My little daughter said "daddy, those are pretty"-they were truly a work of art. You could hear my heart break in two when I found out they wouldn't fit. You'd have to take more than a hammer to the strut towers and fenders to get any turbos to fit near the front of the valve covers, as the turbos will interfere with the strut towers.

Actually, I have already had a dyno run on it and I was somewhat dissappointed. We got 450 at the rear wheels and 500 ft/lb torque, but I am at a mile high altitude (20% hit in hp), and the boost was only at 8 psi. We were only going for some baseline numbers and used a basic fuel injection map. I'll get everything sorted out before cranking up the boost and tuning on the dyno.

Yeah, that's like showing up as the only guest to a hot tub party of naked super models and saying "darn there are only 8 instead of nine!" ;) Well, nine would be better, but...John

Are you sure you can fit this set-up in your Z?

The valve cover modification looks good and it should help.

How much clearance is there for the turbo exhaust and the inner fender' date=' strut tower?

Did you know that your turbo kit is featured on the front cover of the Hugh MacInnes "Turbochargers" book?[/quote']

It'll fit if I go ahead and intall the 12 point cage and delete the strut towers or do other major cutting, rewelding. Since that isn't what I really want to do, I'm going to have to fab exhaust out of an old set of headers kind of like you did and then go from there. I talked to thagard and he said he could build me an intercooler, so as soon as I finish the monte carlo and the '33 dodge, I'll start that project, will probably be late summer before I can get a TT motor in the z. I'm contemplating going with a dart block with a 4.125 bore, 3.25 stroke crank, 6.2 inch rods, custom turbo pistons, some AFR 190 or 200 heads, putting the rayjay 300E turbo's on that one and leaving the other turbo motor in the monte but install a set of GT42's on it. I think that would be a better motor combination for the z.

Besides, I'm doing the dsm motor and today I got another mud race 400sbc to do for a customer, so I'm going to be busy.

s_stuff_179.jpg

I guess you're not impressed with subtlety :mrgreen: Nice looking kit for the Chevy V8. I have a single (Cartech) turbo manifold for a small block, so I'll end up using that instead of going with a twin setup. I'm still trying to decide carb or EFI, but carb would be many dollars cheaper for me at this point. Tuning is a concern....

Davy

When you get to me my age, subtlety kind of goes out the window.

Since it was a kit, it came with the banks modified carb already. I jetted the primaries to 81's based on Hann's recommendation. The back had 100's in it already. I'm going out on a limb here and going to say it should be close on tune, we'll see. Ultimately I'd like to go alcohol injection, Accel makes just such a critter and injectors that will flow some insane lb/hr, like 160, so times 8 that's 1280HP on alky! Banks sells the same kit but includes the proper tune maps from the get go! So, now I have to come up with an additional 3K just for EFI.

I haven't tried the carb yet, but I'd bet that EFI is the way to go in this application, just so happens that I got what I got cause it was a good deal, so that's what I'm going with.

... just so happens that I got what I got cause it was a good deal, so that's what I'm going with.

...as with about 90% of the Z and V8 parts that I have now...

I have budget built, collected, and horsetraded for what I have. Most are good quality parts too. Now I just need some time to put it all together *ugh* :malebitch:

Davy

• 6 months later...

Yeah, speaking of other projects in the making, i am converting my l28et with a 50 shot and 25 psi over to a turbo charged 350. I am using the old Martin turbo setup since it only cost me 200 dollars, and the holley Pro Jection setup. I think more people need to be doing turbocharged 350's, They just look so much more impressive when you open the hood. I will try and post pics in the next couple days.