HybridZ

Complete Differential List (need help)

cyrus

I need a definite answer on this, is the rear end in a late 74 260z 2+2 auto a 3.36 for 3.54? I see it go both ways, some say all of the 74 2+2's had them, some say only the 4 speeds.

The pragmatic "definite answer" is to check the differential in question yourself. Hate to say it, but you gotta do it.:x

• 3 months later...

Broke some parts this weekend at the drag-strip... I thought i had a r200 rearend in the car, but i don't..You show pistures of a later model rearend and you are call it a K r180...I think that is what i have because the inner stub shafts has a bolt in the center that holds them in ..I also have a aluminum cap that bolts on to the rear end where the shafts go in.But my rear end doesn't have a K casted in the top of it.My problem is i need a couple of inner stub shafts!!!!!!! can any one help?

• 3 weeks later...
:hail: thanks for the confirmation, but isn't that diff a little too young to legally post pictures of it exxposed like that on the internet??

Haha yeah....the seller didn't know that the torsens came in 2007+ models so I opened it up to make sure he sent me the right one (he had an 06' and 07' diff for sale...both are 3.54 but different LSDs)

• 5 months later...

Seems like the good rear ends are from turbo cars? I saw a 1983 280zx at the junk yard today and dont know if its the r200 or the r180. The car was non turbo.

Also i saw i 300zx and that one was the older square shapped body style and it was stick shift. Which rear does that have?

Any help? i want to pull a rear end this weekend to proceed with my project on my 73 240z. Any info buddies?

Check that: just found a great site that confirms the r200, but still it doesn't say if the rear is LSD or not. Could i just spin one wheel at the junk yard and see if the other rotates opposite way? that would solve it right? if its non lsd only one wheel would spin from the turn of the drive shaft. Yay or nay? oh and heres the site

http://www2.zhome.com:81/ZCMnL/tech/GearRatios.html

Edited by Cuekoo
added info

only 1987-1989 turbo's have the LSD rear ends. you can tell if they have one by the finned cover on the differential.

Thanks man you saved me alot of time and money. I'm going to check other junk yards.

looking at the rear ends available....it says the the 240sx has LSD and the r200. Are they all lsd? Is there a year range, or are they all great rear ends?

R200V Short nose, 5 Bolt ouput shafts (240SX)

Ratios 3.90, 4.08

LSD Viscous

Which rear is this? LSD? r200?

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

looking at the rear ends available....it says the the 240sx has LSD and the r200. Are they all lsd? Is there a year range, or are they all great rear ends?

Ratios 3.90, 4.08

LSD Viscous

Which rear is this? LSD?

S13s in the USA were not offered with a VLSD until the production years of 1991 until 1994. Even then only the 240sxs equipped with the HICAS 4 wheel steering received the VLSD.

S14 Zenkis (1995-6) did come equipped with VLSDs but only on the SE model as an optional package. The S14 Kouki (1997-8) came equipped with a VLSD on both the LE and SE models.

I have heard that the VLSD is good for a daily driver but if you are looking to track the car it is better to go with an aftermarket 1 way, 1.5 way or 2 way LSD depending on what you plan on doing with the car.

• 3 weeks later...

So after reading this wealth of knowledge, I know that an 84 turbo does NOT have an LSD. Good to know since there is a guy locally selling a diff out of an 84 turbo that he claims is an LSD (go figure, it's craigslist). Thanks HybridZ!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

^ I assume youre asking about older clutch LSDs in the Q diff. Good question.

I'm 99% sure the R32 and G50 diffs are identical in size. They both use the bigger axles. Dont know if the internals swap, but I doubt you'll find an R32 CLSD without the housing so just get the whole thing.

About 240sx R200s... I forget which years had VLSDs available on base models. But all US S14s with ABS have a VLSD. So just look for the ABS "box" under the hood on passenger side firewall.

For S13's, I think ABS, HICAS, and VLSD all came together, and this package was only available on 91-93 hatches.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ratios 3.90, 4.08

LSD Viscous

R200V Short nose, 300ZX NA, 5 Bolt ouput shafts

Ratios 4.09

LSD Viscous

Can anyone tell me what all the differences are between these two differentials? I bought a diff today of which I thought it could only be a 300ZX diff, but now I am not so sure anymore. Ratio is definitely 4.08 or 4.09, it also has LSD, but is it possible that the flanges are different?

These are all the data I can find.

Alloy finned cover

4.xx : 1 gear ratio

5 bolt output flanges

4 bolt input flange

2 abs sensors

shortnose case

38311 43M00 part number on the top of the case.

Regards,

Kristof.

Edited by BelgianZ