HybridZ

240zt troubles

g686

I finally got my 240z turbo running the other day!!! which is a great feeling

but then i ran into some problems, the car has a really rough idle and when i try to rev it, it revs really rough until about 2000 rpm then it smooths out and runs normal?

When i went to drive it, it would run up to about 2000 rpm and then it would start to stumble and backfire and wouldn't rev any higher?

Guest bastaad525

first thing to do is get yourself a can of brake parts cleaner, disconnect all of your EFI connections on the wiring harness, spray them all off with the cleaner, and if you see any really bad corrosion (usually greenish-whitish looking stuff) get in there with a tooth brush or better yet copper wire brush of the same size and scrub them out.

Reconnect everything after they've dried and fire it up.

At some point, it would also be a really good idea to go to an electric parts supply store and pick up some dielectric grease and apply it to ALL of the connections, as this will help keep corrosion from building up in the future.

There has been MANY a case of members here (including myself) at Hybrid Z who first installed (or even after they drove their turbo swaps for a while) their L28ET's with the stock EFI/wiring harness and had similiar running problems (stumbling, backfiring, absolute intolerance of running on boost), and had them dissapear after doing this simple cheap trick. These old wiring harnesses LOVE to corrode and this can cause all kinds of running problems. Even if it doesn't fix YOUR problem, it only costs a few bucks and only takes a few minutes, so should definately be the first thing you do to troubleshoot the problem.