HybridZ

Z32 300ZX SR20DET Engine Mount question

Guest ZX6R1033

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill have to agree with the LS1 swap, but i know a lot of people are hard core purists....which i cant say i understand. If there is a swapped engine in there it doesnt matter who made it, its still a swapped engine car. I have thought about the SR20 myself, but ive always just been more of that NA engine feeling.

I've seen quick road racing S30 Z's with VG motors.

And to say "this is the only swap that makes common sense" shows how little you know about motors. There's TONS of motors out there, and you sound like the person that only knows of the popular ones. I'm not bashing you, I just ask for you to think before you speak.

common sense is my opinion and theres no such thing as a wrong opinion. I mean anytihng can be put into anything. what so wrong with saying that the sr in a Z is easy, affordable, understandable, and quite differernt? I dont know where that doesnt fall into your version of 'common sense' but it sure falls into mine. :cool:

The swap goes down on the 23rd of the month, then ill have a real opinion on how it drives/feels from actual experience, rather then words.

Ill have to agree with the LS1 swap, but i know a lot of people are hard core purists....which i cant say i understand. If there is a swapped engine in there it doesnt matter who made it, its still a swapped engine car. I have thought about the SR20 myself, but ive always just been more of that NA engine feeling.

i agree that NA feeling has a very beeefy and powerful touch to it. Im not into american cars thats my only thing. And i like to think of myselff as a purist so we jsut differ in that sense:icon10:

Haha, did you really just relate "common sense" to your opinions? Learn english please.

No, what you REALLY mean is "this is the only swap that makes sense for what I want"

"this is the only swap that makes common sense" means that this is the ONLY motor that could POSSIBLY do all the things I want, and you're wrong. That's ok.

I don't care if you WANT to go with the SR. I think it's a GOOD choice. A bit expensive for what you want, and there's better ways to loose the 50-100 pounds you're saving over the VG but that's ok too.

What I DO care about is you posting stupid blanket statements that show how little you know, weather it be either cars or the language we speak.

People in this thread were so keen to point out that there are "R34 touge monsters" (which is bs) so why not a RB or 2JZ? There's the 1UZ, 4G63, LT, LS, SBC, SBF, 5.0, F20C, 3MZ

I could go on for days. Should I?

Like I said, I don't mind you're going with the SR motor. But you're a purist and admit it. So please keep the purist BS mindset off this board that hates purists.

Guest TeamNissan
Haha, did you really just relate "common sense" to your opinions? Learn english please.

No, what you REALLY mean is "this is the only swap that makes sense for what I want"

"this is the only swap that makes common sense" means that this is the ONLY motor that could POSSIBLY do all the things I want, and you're wrong. That's ok.

I don't care if you WANT to go with the SR. I think it's a GOOD choice. A bit expensive for what you want, and there's better ways to loose the 50-100 pounds you're saving over the VG but that's ok too.

What I DO care about is you posting stupid blanket statements that show how little you know, weather it be either cars or the language we speak.

People in this thread were so keen to point out that there are "R43 touge monsters" (which is bs) so why not a RB or 2JZ? There's the 1UZ, 4G63, LT, LS, SBC, SBF, 5.0, F20C, 3MZ

I could go on for days. Should I?

Like I said, I don't mind you're going with the SR motor. But you're a purist and admit it. So please keep the purist BS mindset off this board that hates purists.

:2thumbs:

OP, how much are you going to pull from the car weight wise? Race seats, keeping the A/C - what all exactly?

I get what you are getting at, easy 2.0L cruising, then crank up the boost when you want some fun.

Best of luck with the swap!

I've seen quick road racing S30 Z's with VG motors. But they're SOHC and NA.

Also remember that weight placement is almost more important than how much of it you have.

And you jumped from 2700 to 3200... the VG is NOT 500 pounds heavier than the SR. IF a VG30DET puts a Z32 at 3200 then a SR swap shouldn't even put you down to 3k. And to put the record straight the Z32 2 door hard top was spec'ed at 3299.

I'd really like to find out what DTS300Z's car looks like in the other areas that got his weight down so low. I can guarentee that it wasn't just the motor. That would either mean nissan grossly added weight to the specs, or the VG weighs nearly a thousand pounds.

Personally, because you're going to be battling a heavier car no matter what, I'd want torque. I've raced a wide variety of cars, and in a light car torque doesn't matter as much as long as your gearing matches the motor, but the heavier the car you get into the more you miss torque. If it were me I'd stick a super light V8 in the car. Something all aluminum that can make 500+ hp.

And LS1 weights about 390 out of the box. That's not much more weight than a complete SR20+turbo+FMIC+piping ect. Plus it's weight isn't going to stick out farther, both motors are 4 cylinders long. It's going to be a shorter weight, which is important as well. It's got a wider variety of tranny options. It makes more HP out of the box, and has lots available with affordable mods.

I just read an article by sport compact car and they removed a red top SR and engine+manifolds+turbo+tranny weighed in at 490, so you're looking at around a tick over 500 once you add FMIC and piping.

And to say "this is the only swap that makes common sense" shows how little you know about motors. There's TONS of motors out there, and you sound like the person that only knows of the popular ones. I'm not bashing you, I just ask for you to think before you speak.

I will try to get some more pics up! I will also try to get some pics of the LT1 swap I did in the car... That thing was fun with the lt1, it went 11.55 @ 122 with a 1.60 60ft. It had a 150 shot on it. I took out the lt1 to put away some money for my new house. I wish I still had the V8! That thing was nasty.. I know I initially got on the defense when I posted and I apolagize I guess I have the newbie syndrone! I really did the swap with the s13 because back in the day (9 years ago) a friend mentioned it to me and I thought why would I want to do that? Well when I found they make decent power I thought why not. So 8 years later after a few vg30de, a bunch of nitrous, an LT1 and even more nitrous I thought lets try the s13. I am only looking for about 400whp out of the s13 and with very little work I can be there.

And you jumped from 2700 to 3200... the VG is NOT 500 pounds heavier than the SR. IF a VG30DET puts a Z32 at 3200 then a SR swap shouldn't even put you down to 3k. And to put the record straight the Z32 2 door hard top was spec'ed at 3299.

I agree that only an engine swap will get him down there but its possible. I dont know how serious this guy is but Uncle Joe got his racing 300zx down to 2750 lbs with the a hard top and a VG30de.....So its very possible if this guy went all out on weight savings then he could get lower. I know Mike Kojima is making a time attack 300zx right now and he is going through a lot of trouble getting the weight down, so it will be interesting to see where he ends up(he is keeping the TT engine). Of course he has a massive cage in his car so the weight reduction will probably be offset by that.

I honestly like tying new stuff. I probably could not afford an LS1 now but I did consider it before I did the LT1 swap. There's a guy here in Jax that's done the LS1 swap in his Z so I know it is doable. I think had had to modify the oil pan and the oil pickup but thats not unusual. I have not seen it run but I heard it was pretty damn quick.

I agree that only an engine swap will get him down there but its possible. I dont know how serious this guy is but Uncle Joe got his racing 300zx down to 2750 lbs with the a hard top and a VG30de.....So its very possible if this guy went all out on weight savings then he could get lower. I know Mike Kojima is making a time attack 300zx right now and he is going through a lot of trouble getting the weight down, so it will be interesting to see where he ends up(he is keeping the TT engine). Of course he has a massive cage in his car so the weight reduction will probably be offset by that.

I will try to get some pics up in the next day or so! Mine also is the slick top. I have taken alot out of the car but all the a/c, ps stuff is in the car, not to say it works (It does have full interior minus the trunk carpet and the spare). I do have heat though! I need to make some a/c lines and a high pressure line for the power steering. I will put the car back on the corner scales at my buddies shop so you guys have the numbers for each corner. To my suprise when I had the LT1 in the car it weighed 2850lbs. I thought the scales were f***** up but we checked them and they were correct.

I honestly like tying new stuff. I probably could not afford an LS1 now but I did consider it before I did the LT1 swap. There's a guy here in Jax that's done the LS1 swap in his Z so I know it is doable. I think had had to modify the oil pan and the oil pickup but thats not unusual. I have not seen it run but I heard it was pretty damn quick.

I am personally a fan of the guy from sweden, i think it was, that put the LS1 in. He did a great job on modding the firewall and the tranny tunnel to get the LS1 so much further back. Sure its really not going to make the stock dash and interior possible but its great for racing im sure.

Heres a link to a vid of him trying it out in a parking lot:http://videos.streetfire.net/video/7728a0ac-2eda-4d75-99f0-984500d72d66.htm

and heres are the pics:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575048

I am personally a fan of the guy from sweden, i think it was, that put the LS1 in. He did a great job on modding the firewall and the tranny tunnel to get the LS1 so much further back. Sure its really not going to make the stock dash and interior possible but its great for racing im sure.

Heres a link to a vid of him trying it out in a parking lot:http://videos.streetfire.net/video/7728a0ac-2eda-4d75-99f0-984500d72d66.htm

and heres are the pics:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=575048

Looks nice and fun! That remineds me of the LT1!

LOL! Now this is just turning into a stupid argument. oh well good discussion so far guys! All i was lookn for was some advice on how to go about the swap! Not a english lesson or the rule book on how to post on Hybrid-Z. Thanks to everyone who offered some interesting info for me:p

I will post pics up at the end of the month for those who find this swap as interesting as I do:cool:!

LOL! Now this is just turning into a stupid argument. oh well good discussion so far guys! All i was lookn for was some advice on how to go about the swap! Not a english lesson or the rule book on how to post on Hybrid-Z. Thanks to everyone who offered some interesting info for me:p

I will post pics up at the end of the month for those who find this swap as interesting as I do:cool:!

I don't think people are arguing with you! You actually recieved advice at the beginning of the post... You just need to work on your comunication skills so you can understand these people probably do most of their own work and like me I did a brief seach to see if the swap has been done and it did not appear that it had so I took my chances. It turned out ok so far and I still have plenty to do to get the car where I want it. If you know how to weld and have access to a welder and some basic fabricating tools you should be able to get it done. On the other hand if you do not have ingenuity and a creative mind you will be struggling but you will probably get through it. I will tell you this the wiring will be the challange! Good luck dude!