HybridZ

Z32 300ZX SR20DET Engine Mount question

Guest ZX6R1033

Guest ivanqz
Z32 2 door hard top was spec'ed at 3299.

thats what nissan says, its ALWAYS DIFFERNT WHEN ACTUALLY WEIGHED. i sure you know that though right?

We took some cars to the scales the other day:

91 Z32 TT 1/4 tank of gas, completely stock 3452 lb

92 S13 hatch 1/4 tank of gas, stock engine I,H,E 2829 lb

92 S13 coupe 1/4 tank of gas, completely stock 2750 lb

Spare tires and jacks included.

If the dts300z is right and the final weight of this swap is about 2750, then this swap makes alot of sense to me.

Z32 = superior suspension design, wider track, better weight distribution, better braking on stock breaks, I could go on. Needless to say I am very curious to see how this turns out.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We took some cars to the scales the other day:

91 Z32 TT 1/4 tank of gas, completely stock 3452 lb

92 S13 hatch 1/4 tank of gas, stock engine I,H,E 2829 lb

92 S13 coupe 1/4 tank of gas, completely stock 2750 lb

Spare tires and jacks included.

If the dts300z is right and the final weight of this swap is about 2750, then this swap makes alot of sense to me.

Z32 = superior suspension design, wider track, better weight distribution, better braking on stock breaks, I could go on. Needless to say I am very curious to see how this turns out.

I assure you it weighed in at 2750. Keep in mind I have a slick top, also had 1/2 tank, no spare, no jack or tools. just a FYI

This swap was fun, but I got to thinking and I hate to say it but I'm going back with the LT1. Here are all the pictures I currently have of the sr swap. The car is pretty quick considering but I like the tourqe and ease of power from a LT1. When I get the swap done from this I will post those pictures as well along with the corner weights. When I weighed it last with the LT1 it was a little over 2850 just to give you an idea of what you can expect. Sorry to disappoint but this is going to be fun!

2509_thumb.attach

2510_thumb.attach

2511_thumb.attach

2514_thumb.attach

2515_thumb.attach

Guest ivanqz
This swap was fun, but I got to thinking and I hate to say it but I'm going back with the LT1. Here are all the pictures I currently have of the sr swap. The car is pretty quick considering but I like the tourqe and ease of power from a LT1. When I get the swap done from this I will post those pictures as well along with the corner weights. When I weighed it last with the LT1 it was a little over 2850 just to give you an idea of what you can expect. Sorry to disappoint but this is going to be fun!

If you didn't upgrade your turbo i can see why you are somewhat dissapointed. You need a GT35 at 20 psi for 400 WHP @ 7500 rpm all day on stock engine. Thats about 300 tq somewhere between 4000 and 5000 rpm. Please don't quote me on this I am just remembering this from dyno posts of the top of my head. This is nothing new as it has been well documented in many forums. My point is, at that power level and at only 2750 lb you are looking at 6.87 HP per 1 lb. Now I know there are many 300ZXTT running at 500 WHP which at 3500 lb (at least after the mods) will be at 7 HP per lb. The avantage is in the overall weight. Less weight= more lateral traction, better braking, longer lasting tires and brakes, etc. At the quater mile track; I am not sure wich one will be faster, but at the race track no doubt Z32-SR20DET would have a major advantage. I just don't know under what class it would race...:confused:

Any way, I am looking to finally build a track car and cant get this idea out of my head. Please keep the comments comming.:)

If you didn't upgrade your turbo i can see why you are somewhat dissapointed. You need a GT35 at 20 psi for 400 WHP @ 7500 rpm all day on stock engine. Thats about 300 tq somewhere between 4000 and 5000 rpm. Please don't quote me on this I am just remembering this from dyno posts of the top of my head. This is nothing new as it has been well documented in many forums. My point is, at that power level and at only 2750 lb you are looking at 6.87 HP per 1 lb. Now I know there are many 300ZXTT running at 500 WHP which at 3500 lb (at least after the mods) will be at 7 HP per lb. The avantage is in the overall weight. Less weight= more lateral traction, better braking, longer lasting tires and brakes, etc. At the quater mile track; I am not sure wich one will be faster, but at the race track no doubt Z32-SR20DET would have a major advantage. I just don't know under what class it would race...:confused:

Any way, I am looking to finally build a track car and cant get this idea out of my head. Please keep the comments comming.:)

Yea I actually was looking into the gt35r but with everything in consideration, I just enjoyed the LT1 swap more. When I had the LT1 in the car it weighed in at 2850 and I plan on making more of a drag car this time. I also don't want to post times but since I have a time slip and I will scan it in to verify. The 60foot was 1.60, 1/8 was 7.41, and 1/4 was 11.557@ 122.10. It hooked quite nicely! I also had a problem with the opti spark at the time. I had about a 140 shot of nitrous. Well not to babble but you cant make 600 to the tires on a stock sr plus the torque is crazy fun! Now considering I was only making aroud 400-440 to the tires with the v8 could you imagine 550 - 600 or even more after a build and turbocharged of course with a t56 behind it. !!!skeet skeet skeet!!!! I did not realize how much I missed it until I started posting on this board. Yea I understand what you are saying though.. I like the sr don't get me wrong it is fun alot of fun I'm just a torque junky.

Here are some pictures! Keep in mind that this is a work in progress. I have been cleaning it up since these pictures. I recently put it on a dyno and made 250 whp and 260 tq @ 12.5 psi.

That's all good and dandy for a 4 banger... Your VG30DE makes just as much HP no?

But something about 2 less cylinders, one less turbo, and less torque/power doesn't make a good togue monster for the other guy.

That's all good and dandy for a 4 banger... Your VG30DE makes just as much HP no?

But something about 2 less cylinders, one less turbo, and less torque/power doesn't make a good togue monster for the other guy.

the vg makes about 175 - 180 to the tires. thats an n/a and the engine is heavy as ♥♥♥♥ compared to the sr. But yes you are right that is why I am taking the sr out and putting the lt1 back in....

I can't imagine the LT being much -if any- lighter than the VG30DETT, but I haven't had both on a scale so it's not like I can say.

But really DTS, how much do you think your car weighed stock? There's no way you lost 700 pounds on a motor swap correct? This is the point i'm trying to get across to lexshimmy. The motor - though light - won't make the total difference and as johnc and others have proven there's a lot you can do to get the weight distribution you want AND weight distribution isn't the end all be all of cornering speed.

To me the only reason the swap DOES make some sense is that both of you are starting with VG30DE motors. The NA motor doesn't have much NA potential so you're best off swapping the motor out anyways, so why not go with a turbo 4 if it meets your power goals?

I still can't see it being a true "touge monster" though. Fun on mountain roads? Sure. Able to beat cars like the amuse S2k? Not likely.

Guest ivanqz
One Week Guys And It Will Be Complete! I Cant Wait!!!!!!!

Seriously lexshimmy, give me a call I pmed you my number. I really want to see how you went about doing this. I am looking to build a road race car within the next year and I am stuck on this idea.

I can't imagine the LT being much -if any- lighter than the VG30DETT, but I haven't had both on a scale so it's not like I can say.

But really DTS, how much do you think your car weighed stock? There's no way you lost 700 pounds on a motor swap correct? This is the point i'm trying to get across to lexshimmy. The motor - though light - won't make the total difference and as johnc and others have proven there's a lot you can do to get the weight distribution you want AND weight distribution isn't the end all be all of cornering speed.

To me the only reason the swap DOES make some sense is that both of you are starting with VG30DE motors. The NA motor doesn't have much NA potential so you're best off swapping the motor out anyways, so why not go with a turbo 4 if it meets your power goals?

I still can't see it being a true "touge monster" though. Fun on mountain roads? Sure. Able to beat cars like the amuse S2k? Not likely.

Dunno never weighed it with the vg30de. There is no way I lost 700 pounds with the swap. I do know that the vg is a very heavy engine. When I first had the LT1 in the car the front end actually sat up a little higher than stock. I must have a very light z comparitively. Guess the 91 slick top is just really light. I will corner weigh the car when I finish the lt1 swap and take pictures of the scale so you guys don't think I'm full of bs. I will say the short block is one heavy mofo. A freind and I tried to lift an assymbled short block out of the bed of my truck and nearly broke our backs. I will assure you it is over 500lbs fully dressed.

Guest ivanqz
Dunno never weighed it with the vg30de. There is no way I lost 700 pounds with the swap. I do know that the vg is a very heavy engine. When I first had the LT1 in the car the front end actually sat up a little higher than stock. I must have a very light z comparitively. Guess the 91 slick top is just really light. I will corner weigh the car when I finish the lt1 swap and take pictures of the scale so you guys don't think I'm full of bs. I will say the short block is one heavy mofo. A freind and I tried to lift an assymbled short block out of the bed of my truck and nearly broke our backs. I will assure you it is over 500lbs fully dressed.

Is ther any way you could corner weight the car the way it is now with the SR20 in it? Pleeeeeeeeeeease........Really, I have to know for sure if this weight is possible. iI also heard from other people that this swap is common in Japan. Z32 N/A no T-tops + SR20DET.

Yea, the slick top alone will gain you at least 20-70 pounds or do (depending on how much reinforcement goes into the window system). Plus it's more rigid. I'd looked for quite some time for a slick top 280ZX when I bought my second, but just couldn't find one soon enough.

Then there's the spare, and jack. That's quite a bit of weight as well.

If I had to guess, I'd say that in order for you to be at the weight you're at (not calling BS at all man, I'm just trying to figure out either were the weight went or where in the world you started) I'd guess you started around 3200. Knock it down to 3000 by pulling all unnecessary weight out, then knock it down to 2850 for the motor swap. I guess that KINDA makes sense, but I've love to weigh all the pieces.

It seems to me the slick top is one light chassis compared to the rest of the Z32's, and the slick tops aren't necessarily everywhere, or easy to come by.