HybridZ

The Classic "Best"

Guest HBZ81

So I just bought a 1984 300ZX (Z31 I believe it's called) non-turbo and was wondering what the "best" ford v8 engine for it would be.

By best I mean "easiest" ( i know swaps, espically from completely different cars are never 'easy'), biggest power gains, and can do for $6,000-$7,000.

So what year and from what model car should I be looking at?

Any additional web resource sites or informative help would be greatly appriciated.

I've been searching around this site for almost a month now researching and deciding what engine to go with. My choices were an RB25, a Ford V8, or the engine from a Q45 but I think i have decided to go with the Ford V8.

Thanks a lot Z-ers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

400 cubic inch sbc, LS1 or larger is the best substitute for a ford engine IMO. Preferrably twin turbo, but in absence of that I'd go roots or procharger.

What exactly is that "in"? or is it something i have to order

For a Ford engine its hard to beat 289/302. Its is narrow and lighter than other engines and you can get 350HP. There are lots of aftermarket parts and salvage yard capability. I owned a 84 300ZX with a stock NA engine, nice car but slower than I would have liked. A Ford V8 installed in your car would make a nice street rod. Couple to a T5 or maybe keep the nissan tranny.

Other things to think about;

-would a 'cammer' ford fit ( they are pretty wide on top )

-stroker kit or not

-

Personally, I'd go with the 302/5.0 motor for the reasons ferd was saying. You can get 350NA on the stock bottom end and there's more parts for those than almost any other ford motor, and tons of junkyard support. It's ford equivalant of the chevy 350, it's just the "Do anything" motor. And it's ultra lite for a cast iron block too.

302 sounds nice... hehe those probe guys (some buddies of mine) are going to be killed!

(right now i drive an aveo while getting the Z in running shape)

So would you recomend the 302 from the 93 Cobra?

How much you thinking this swap should cost me at a decent shop...

I would do it myself but I'm living in an apartment now so it's not like i have the room and equipment

what about the 302 from the 94+ years or the DOHC 4.6L?

i also like the idea of the 340hp V8 from the newer Q45, but they just dont have as much aftermarket support as the stangs

how much $$$cash$$$ do you think i'd be selling out for the swap?

the 93-95 5.0's have shitty pistons and also have less power than the 87-92 5.0's. 89-92 is your best bet for a FI 302 because it has MAF, forged pistons, and is a roller block. Ive head that the 69 mexican blocks are the strongest production block, but ive also heard that there is no difference. they are also non roller. Now, as for the 96+ 4.6 SOHC and DOHC engines...they are BEASTS. Ive been told that a 427 is only 1" wider than the 4.6's. here is a picture of a 5.0 beside a 4.6 DOHC which has been posted here before i believe. the 4.6's have HUGE potential with high revs. they also have the new 2.4 kennebell now.

index.jpg

But just look at that monster. You'll spend more for the labor, and more for the engine. Not saying not to do it, beucase it has alot more *wow* factor and more overall potencial than the 5.0L.

But look at how small that 5.0L is, and you can get a brand new motor under 4k with 345 HP from ford performance. I'll leave overall build cost to people here who have done it, but if you're gonna have a shop do it then it'll be dependant on labor cost.

And the 93 cobra motor was slightly under rated. They put 220 to the wheels. The cobra parts are great though. Stock heads are great up to 500HP or so, and the intake doesn't hold it back to much. You'll have to worry most about fuel and boost mothod. Those engine NA rev awsome, but supercharged they're INSANE. I can't express the fear of driving a supercharged 93 cobra and realising I went from idle to 7k before I could blink. But the stock FI sucks, unless you go with a crate motor, then it's not TOO bad. But thier limits are much lower than the 4.6 DOHC motors. But who really needs much more than 800HP?

PS Kennebell superchargers ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, id take a 5.0 over a 4.6 any day too. at 550-600 hp the stock 5.0 block tend to pretty much come apart. That is what i have read and been told by many people. I will never need that much power so ill never have the chance to prove that right/wrong though. there are aftermarket blocks that hold over 1000hp like the a4 and dart blocks. but those require $1500+US in machine work as the come unfinished.

the 4.6's are uncharted territory. EVERYTHING will have to be done from scratch because there is no one to offer advice from experience. the SOHC engines can be had for pretty cheap, but good luck getting your hands on an DOHC engine without your wallet taking a serious raping. i have an 03 cobra block in my room and that sucker is HEAVY. much heavier than a 5.0 block.

inless you have a 93 cobra motor in your garage it makes no difference.. Just a 302 with bigger injectors, a WORSE EEC-IV(computer), and a GT40 intake(that you can get from a explorer)

I was going ford for the longest time, till my goals out grew my budget..

It depends on what power you want to make for my recomendations,

a 302 is cheap, hell I have one in my garage ill sell for $50(disasembled, needs rebuild)pistons(forged) are cheaper then imports, factory rods are forged.. all in all you'll spend about 2k in the motor for a fully rebuilt forged one.. then get a WC T5 and a clutch, 350 -400HP(FWHP)..

id say the whole swap will be about 5k after its all said in done..

but if its over 500 dont go 302, and prepare to spend 2k on a manual transmission.

a 69 351W would handle it, but you'll end up itching for more... then you dont want it to blow, then you buy better stuff, then you realize you just spent 8k in just the motor, and trans... but it would be SICK!!!!

The 351W is very similar to the 5.0L. Main difference is deck height.

But I know a guy who has somewhere around 1100HP out of a 351W bored/stroked to 427. Mad blower too. Guy is insane to drive it on the street. Once got a ticket for "bald" tires... He runs slicks 24/7. The cop was an idiot.

So that's the kinda potencial the 351W blocks have. But you'd spend less on your house methinks.

The 351W is very similar to the 5.0L. Main difference is deck height.

But I know a guy who has somewhere around 1100HP out of a 351W bored/stroked to 427. Mad blower too. Guy is insane to drive it on the street. Once got a ticket for "bald" tires... He runs slicks 24/7. The cop was an idiot.

So that's the kinda potencial the 351W blocks have. But you'd spend less on your house methinks.

im guessing he is using an aftermarket block? there is a local guy in my area running 8's in his untubbed, no tube chasis fox mustang. He has a 396 stroker on nitrous.

if you want a 351, id go for the for a 94-97 roller block out of the ford pickup trucks and e series vans. they have roller cams, and come EFI ready. get a set of heads, cam, pistons, intake and you should be pushing 400+ hp EASY with more torque than that little car will ever know what to do with. that is more power than you will ever need on the street. and if you want more, you can always bolt on a charger, tubro or use some spray. with good machining, balance/blueprinted engine, and a good tune, this thing should be able to hold 600hp no problem...well so ive been told anyway.

anything over 500hp, and it is my opinion that a stronger block should be used. not that the stock block cant take it, but it is cheap insurance..lol, well not "cheap", but cheaper if your 2 bolt main block splits.

how big of a shot of spray do you think a stock 302 and 351w can take?

so the only size difference between the 302 and 351w is a little bit of deck height and it'll still fit about the same as the 302...

if the 351w is a better choice, with more potential, i may go for it instead

You aren't going to believe how much room you have when you get the vg30 out. I have a sbc in my Z31, and I think there is enough room for a big block. The 5.0 only weighs a little over 400lbs and my small block chevy is almost 100 lb heavier. With the small block and a th350, the weight distribution is really close to 50/50. so the 5.0 should do really well. of course if it were me, I would probably go with a 460, even though the weigh over 700 lbs.:) Besides, I hate turning corners.

the 69 351 has been taken stablely over 800hp, while the newer ones are JUST like the 302, just higher deck height..

the roller block 351 is a good motor, just not strong over 500... and for all that Id stay 302.

DO NOT go with a late 70's early 80's 351W.. No point whatsoever...