HybridZ

The Classic "Best"

Guest HBZ81

500 hp from a 351 will be 10 times more streetable than 500 hp from a 302. the more CI, the better it can digest a larger cam and such. the 351 is also wider than a 302 along with quite a bit heavier. id take a 351 over a 302 any day of the week though. i dont know, thats just my opinion.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

500 hp from a 351 will be 10 times more streetable than 500 hp from a 302. the more CI, the better it can digest a larger cam and such. the 351 is also wider than a 302 along with quite a bit heavier. id take a 351 over a 302 any day of the week though. i dont know, thats just my opinion.

I'm looking to get the most hp for the "cheapest" price and also keep the weight down

hood clearence will probably be an issue. there are swap headers for 351's into mustangs that could make the exhaust problem a bit less of a problem. the best thing to do, is go to your local wrecking yar where they sell 94-97 f series pickups and measure the 351, and measure the 302. this way you can make a choice without having to waste money on one or the other

the 302 would probably have easier clearance anyway. Plus I plan on getting a custom fiberglass or carbon fiber hood for weight reduction and I want it to look as stock as possible so hopefully I can work that out with the clearance

the 302 would probably have easier clearance anyway. Plus I plan on getting a custom fiberglass or carbon fiber hood for weight reduction and I want it to look as stock as possible so hopefully I can work that out with the clearance

I put an '89 Mustang 5.0 HO EFI in my 240Z. It's now a 500Z. The EFI intake clears the hood (although I did drop the front crossmember 1").

I'd go that route at least to start. Drive it for a while, and if you need more power, you can always add on.

well, you obviusly have to use MUCH more "agressive" parts to make 500hp out of 302 cubic inches than you would out of 351 cubic inches. Large Cu/In engines digest high lift cams much better, making daily driving and idle a TON better. a larger cu/in engine with 500hp will run better/smoother and be more reliable than a smaller cu/in engine with the same amount of power simply because the parts in the larger cu/in engine dont need to be as agressive to make the same amount of power.

im guessing he is using an aftermarket block? there is a local guy in my area running 8's in his untubbed' date=' no tube chasis fox mustang. He has a 396 stroker on nitrous.

[/quote']

Yes, aftermarket block. It's got some modifications to the cast, not that much from what I understand.

Ok, look at the picture again with the 4.6 and 5.0. The 4.6 WILL fit, just take alot more work and modifications. Now look at the size difference.

The 5.0 will be cheeper than a 351W, period. There aren't many 351W motors in junkyards (at least around here), where as the 5.0 motor is everywhere. Your initial cost will be MUCH lower. What you need to think about is future potencial. Will you ever need more than 400-450?

To say that a 351 will be more streetable than a 5.0 at 500 HP does have some truth to it. BUT, a 5.0 with a good aftermarket fuel system running around 15Lbs on a supercharger with a well tuned aftermarket ECU will still be streetable. I've ridden in a 550HP 93 cobra. The guy driving swung the back end 50 degrees out left in first gear then 50 degrees right shifting into 2nd then 30 degrees left again going into third and had to stop due to car up ahead at the end of this little 1.5 lane city road. All this wearing flip flops for shoes, and he said he used to commute in it until he decided he wanted to keep the miles low.

If it's well made, almost anything is streetable. BUT, it's true that by comparison, the 351W will naturally be more streetable.

But the real beuty is the price. It's about as budget as ford motors get and they're not bad motors by any measure. Although the stock efi isn't great....

PS... Stock 93 cobras had 4 cats... major suckage. But the motors where pretty awsome. Pretty identical to the "GT40" 5.0 motor you can buy.

spend the 1900-2400 depending on what your willing to pay at http://shop.centralcoastmustang.net/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=34

you get a 340 hp long block 302 with 10.5:1 compression.... if your richer spend the 3k and get the 370 horse, poorer you can always settle for the $1900 300 horse. But honestly it is the best way to go for the money unless you got a lead on a early 90's (non hyperutectic) engine for cheap.