HybridZ

Mopar Small Block!!

Guest traub83

Guest traub83

Has anyone swapped in a 318, 340 or 360 motor in there Z car? If so could someone give me how the build or got there mounts and exe on it, Also some pics would be awsome.. My lil bro seen my Z the otherday for the first time and fell in love with it so he looked in the paper and ebay and he is bidding on one right now. think is he loves mopar motors and frankly I cannot blame him I love them too and if they made a mount kit for them I would have used one rather than my 350 chevy motor. Anyways he has a faily decent built up 360 that he was using in his dakota but totalled it out and grabbed his motor and tranny out of it and junked the rest and he wants to use it in his new Z when he gets it. Guess who gets to put it in!!! :-) Yup so before i start hacking and making mounts and stuff I thought I would ask you guys on here on doing this swap to see if anyone hasn't already done it and to make for sure that nobody dont make a kit for it already! So any help would be excellent on this small topic..

Thanks Guys!! Ohh his motor isnt like a full build up its stock bottom end but he has ported and polished J heads with 2.02/1.60's a nice purple shaft cam from mopar I think .528 lift on it, and he has a nice M1 intake manifold with a 700 double pumper carb. and he runs a nice built 904 tranny... its prob a god 300hp setup which should make a Z turn a lot of heads but what I love most about those Mopars is there sound, im sorry Chevys and fords all sound good and all but a nice built mopar has its own sound that I just love its my personal opnion tho but hey hopefully you guys can point us in the right direction.

There was a mopar Z on Ebay several months ago and a buddy of mine e-mailed the seller to get some information about the car and set up. I do not know if he received any information back from the seller, but it has been done and I will see if he received any info. I have been watching what products Street & Performance have been producing for the Hemi. But, I have flip-flop back and fourth from SBC/carb to LT1 to LS1. Check this out:

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/ Look at the HEMI stuff and projetcs.

All of my family stuff and business stuff away is out of the way, in the next few weeks I will make my choice. A HEMI-Z would be nice :)

If you get any information please post, by the way I was reading somewhere Tremec and Mcleod had a TK0 500 and TK0 600 set up for the HEMI :)I will do some more reading on this. Information at the bottom of the page in references the 5 speed overdrive transmission

Guest traub83

a new 5.7 hemi would be awsome to stuff under the hood however i just dont think I will have the funds to do such a swap, plus that its for my brother also and he already has his 360 and tranny. I am a mopar nut however If I could get the parts and make enough off of my 350 and blower and all those goodies!! Darn right Id put a 5.7L hemi under the hood with a nice tremec tranny!! imagine one of those with a 150hp shot of nitrous in a Z, whew it be scary sounding and running lol.... plus imagine the look on peoples faces when ya pop the hood like wtf!!!

ha ha ha anyways if i find any info I will be sure to post about it... and if anyone knows anything about puttin mopars under the hood of Z's please reply and let us know!!

Guest traub83

Still no finds from my end on anything on putting a mopar LA motor in a z car. only thing i can even find is a engine plate and i really dont wanna go that route I want it to look as tho it came with the car like the small block chevys do.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest traub83
Spotted this at the boneyard today! I'm checking with my wife if I can have it!

Greg

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7205

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7206

I'll be darn you go to the boneyard and you find a z car with a small block chrysler already in it... jeesh how lucky can ya get!!!! now that would be somethin if that motor was a 340!!! but i imagine it will be a 318..

You are right about the mopars. I love the 318 which most people don't want cause it is so small, etc. I have an extended Dodge van with one; a Chrysler fifth avenue stretch limo (no, not that little factory piece of K car junk), and have had a few other ones. Just keep the valve stem seals new and the freeze plugs good and a use a simple carb and you are good to go.

Guest traub83

same here I think the 318 is quite a cappable motor, In fact I think car craft did a junk yard build with one and was pumping out over 300hp out of it just on junk yard parts. I was pretty impressed...

Guest traub83

if ya give me 2 days I can give you measurements of pretty much whatever ya want on a sb mopar, the 273, 318, 340, and 360s are like sb chevys, there physical size is pretty much the same...

Guest traub83

well your right when it comes to there technology bein from the 60's.. however fact is they still make power and very easy power thats why people love them soo. Plus you dont need to have 5 grand or more to get them to run really well unlike a lot of the newer motors that ya have to buy turbo kits for and such.. Im not dissing any newer motor at all as I want to build a 2jz pretty bad however power for power I believe I could make more power with a SBC than I could with a 2jz dollar for dollar... Ive seen 1200hp 2jz motors yes. However U build up and twin turbo a sbc and that 1200hp will be a cakewalk.. However each has its ups and downs.. technology has came a long way, in the 30+ years and untill I find my perfect motor I will keep building what I know works and thats the old school v8's cause I know they can make some crazy numbers... Again please dont think im raining on your speach cause im not im sorta agreeing with you in a odd way while speakin my own peace.. :-)

It seems each application has it's good points. I also own a 1991 Q45 (for sale) which is probably the best engine you can get except for one thing. Money. I thought of using the rear end, motor, trans, console, etc for my Z to keep it all Nissan. There is one on this site that has twin turbos on it. Mine stock is supposed to have a real 315 hp, 300 ft.lbs. All alum, forged this and forged that, six bolt mains (not 4), DOHC V8. Some racers merely bolt on a supercharger or turbos etc and get 600 hp without going inside the engine and the rest of all the parts can handle it. Here is the problem. With the computer tuning requirements, sensors, plumbing, harnesses, injectors, etc. the thing could cost a fortune to enjoy and you could eventually be at the mercy of parts suppliers or worse yet, the dealers (I run a Mercedes Repair shop). On the other hand, throw in a sbc or sbm with a carb and off you go. You can get a stock sbc rebuild kit on the internet somewhere for $154. I looooove the Q45 technology, but hate that it could own me and thus take the fun out of it.

p.s. I went to the drags in Orlando once and these two kids had a completely gutted Omni Horizon GLS (2.2 4 Banger) with a monster (not the stock one) turbo on it and were beating EVERYBODY. Their hood scoop was a PVC periscope looking pipe. Cheap car, cheap parts, whatever works.

p.s. I went to the drags in Orlando once and these two kids had a completely gutted Omni Horizon GLS (2.2 4 Banger) with a monster (not the stock one) turbo on it and were beating EVERYBODY. Their hood scoop was a PVC periscope looking pipe. Cheap car, cheap parts, whatever works.

and I bet they were having a ball doing it too! Sounds like my kind of fun!

There used to be an 88 or 89, faded blue, peice of crap honda civic 4 door hatchback thing around town. I havent seen it in a few years so I dunno what became of it.. but it was one of the 4x4 Civics that look like tiny minivans..

I have no idea what it had in it, but he had relocated the engine into the rear. 4 banger of some type but I never could get close enough for an exact ID. I remember seeing him SMASH most cars around town. It had windshield wiper LED's, sounded like *** and looked about the same, but man it was *fast*.

At some point in my life, I am hellbent on buying and modifying a Chevette into something terribly fast. Nothing beats the look on poeples faces when they lose to something like that. I used to have a Toyota Paseo I swapped the j-spec 5efhe into with a couple other tidbits. It was slow, but it was still able to beat the average ricer idiot and I could hold up ok against V6 'Stangs and the like. God I loved revving at poeple in the thing.. I got some of the greatest looks imaginable..

DAW, I know where you are coming from somewhat, but the biggest insult to engineers could be, in my opinion, ripping out a perfectly engineered (in their eyes) engine, fuel injection, computer, etc from a classic car and stuff all kinds of motors, transmissions, mounts, driveshafts, turbos, etc. in it, no matter how improved. I guess you have to insult some of the old engineers to get to the point to really respect the later ones. At any rate, I love all kinds of custom, away from corp restrictions, type of cars from hot rods (hybrid Zs) to limos. I am also trying to teach my son to be independent and respectful of his money. In other words, just because you earn a million; it doesn't necessarily mean you have to spend a huge amount on a car just because you can. Beating the system is as much fun as having a huge amount of highly engineered pricey stuff that might be unnecessary to accomplish your goal. This is what started this type of hobby, I think. I've done it both ways. By the way, I am 58, if I am not the oldest old has-been on here; I am probably a lot closer that I want to be.

I'd love to use a small-block Mopar, i think it would be a great fit into a zed, i used to have an Aussie Charger (A-Bodied Mopar, looks a little bit like a Duster i suppose) and it really hummeded with a 318 in it, but i reckon its just inpracticle when you look at the engine alternatives available,

When i was looking at doing an engine upgrade on my Charger (my 318 was pretty f#cked by the end of its life, when i pulled it down 2 of the main bearing caps had actually broken :-) i looked into all of the engine possibilities, 318, 340, 360's, Magnum 318's and 360's and the new Hemi 5.7, but i ended up selling my Charger,

In OZ everything starts really costing by the time you ship it out, so i could never justify getting one of these Motors,

318's and 360 remanufactured engines would go for around $2500-$3000AUD mark,

New 360 Magnum motors would go for around the $5500-$7500AUD mark, depending on which HP version you went for (think there is a 300 and 410hp version),

Then i looked at the mighty Hemi, bout $14000AUD for an engine with very low KM's - might be cheaper now, but F#CK me!!! that was way to expensive, even if you did get the de-activation thing (were 4 cylinders shut down) its still a cast-iron block, pushrod design engine, $140000AUD was nuts!!!

But also transmission choice was a bugger with these motors, 904's and 727's are only 3-speed auto's, and putting a tremec behind them was not cheap,

But also in OZ i could buy a front cut VH45DE for $2000AUD or an 1UZFE front cut for anywhere between $2000-$3000AUD, to be honest these engine's would sh#t all over the Mopar small-block, as far as weight, technology, durability and price goes, the only difference is the ease of installation of the older Mopar blocks, the HEMI would probably be as difficult to wire in as the Toyota or Nissan V8's, maybe............

In the states the prices would probably be a bit friendlier skewed towards the MOPAR small-block, but still................

If i were to go an old school Carbied V8, i would pick the Mopar over the Chev and Ford, but thats just because i prefer the Mopars - but still if i were set on putting a V8 into my zed i would go with the 1UZFE first, then the VH45DE

• 1 month later...