HybridZ

POLL: S30 guys show of hands, who's getting exhaust fumes in the car?

Guest bastaad525

Do you have a problem with exhaust fumes getting into your S30?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a problem with exhaust fumes getting into your S30?

• Yes. From day one, but I haven't really tried to fix it yet.
    • Yes. I've replaced some/all of the rear rubber, have sealed other gaps, but it's still bad.
    • At first yes, but replaced rear seals and/or tracked down holes/gaps and now it's completely gone.
    • No. Used some other 'trick', such as longer/pointed down exhaust, a sunroof or rear wing.
    • Nope! I'm a lucky guy! It's never been a problem and I haven't done anything to fix it!

I always had problems with my 72, and like Mike, ended up getting incredibly sick after a long lowspeed drive in traffic.

Now, I have replaced the hatch seals, door seals, window seals, and also sealed off the open gaps around the strut tower reinforcements ( throw a drop light under the rear end of the car and look at the base of the reinforcements...see the light! ) but have yet to drive the car enough to know for sure.

will update in a few weeks..I hope.

And I just wonder how this might be affecting my health. I mean' date=' if this really would be something that might end up giving me cancer or something than I'm gonna end up selling the car... going fast isn't worth taking years off my life.[/quote']

What you have to ask is, "Would I live any longer if I never had this car?" The answer to that is most likely yes, but it's like owning a motor cycle, you know you will most likely die if you get hit, and you know you will most likely get hit at least once per every 100,000mi. It's a bit of a suicide mission to get a gallon of milk, but it's a quality of life issue, not a longevity issue. I vote to keep it and slowly go insane off the carbon monoxide, get cancer from the NOx, and and and... memory loss from the HC's. don't know.

And how much money have you spent trying to make the car faster? How much have you spent trying to keep the car from poisoning you while you drive it? :twak:

ahahaha

all the weather stripping thats missing and etc is a weight reduction!!

mike

Guest bastaad525

jeeez... now this conversation is getting interesting.

Mike - your Z actually put you in the frickin hospital?!?!? That is crazy. Aren't you worried about long term effects???

Yeah it's true, I've spent a ton on going fast, and not very much on getting rid of the fumes. I did buy new rear hatch rubber and tail light seals, which helped, but honestly I dont think it's possible to get rid of. This issue more than most others is the factor that is slowly convincing me I need to sell this car. Going fast is not worth getting cancer or paying a visit to the hospital, sorry. Maybe backwards thinking considering I just admitted spending all that money on going fast and not on fixing this problem, but I never gave it as much thought as I do now.

Then again, I haven't spent THAT much money on going fast either.

When a car sends you to the hospital, it's time to trade up... geez.

• 12 years later...

I had a stock exhaust on my 280z with L28ET. it had a chambered muffler and a catalytic converter.

I just installed 3" mandrel bent with NO CAT and a straight through muffler. It terminates a little closer to the body than my last one did.

I now smell TONS of fumes. I think it is related to the loss of the CAT, not my seals, as I couldn't smell anything at all before. I'm dizzy after a 20 min drive :(

Edited by AlbatrossCafe

2 hours ago, rturbo 930 said:

May have to do with the length of the exhaust tip. Extend it out a bit and see if it improves.

I was thinking that as well. It is only a 2" difference but that may have been just enough to put it over the edge. I didn't want it to stick out too far but now looking at it again I'm thinking it may be a tad short... DOH! lol

SXFbUA0.jpg

lVLL3iO.jpg

Edited by AlbatrossCafe