HybridZ

What do you guys think?

Nissan-Fan

For the last 6 months i have been pretty solid on what kind of swap i wanted for my 1978 280z. I wanted to simply drop an l28et in, maybe a bigger turbo and a modified ecu to begin with. Well, now that i have some time to look around for a 280zx turbo parts car, i can see that there is.....**** all. So i really need some suggestions as to what you guys think would be do-able for me. I have access to a ton of parts and tools, partially because i work at partsouce. Also, there are quite a few people willing to lend a hand with my car. So, im looking to make the car a daily driver when its decent out, and a pretty bad *** street car, not much more than that. I am leaning towards an Sr20, due to the fact that they are a dime a dozen in Calgary, and every shop in the city sells parts for it. If anyone thinks an Sr20 is a good idea, can you give me some ideas as to what i need to take care if when it comes to the electronics and engine managment part of the swap? the installation would not be a problem, its the wiring that scares me. Also, any other ideas for engine swaps? i have access to many jdm/usdm motors, but for some reason, no damn L28et.....bummer. Another cool thing, i get major discounts at almost any performance shop in Calgary, as well as the HKS tuning shop, so im sure that will save me some money on Japanese performance parts.

It sounds like you're asking us to make the engine swap decision for you. From your paragraph above it appears that you've already decided on the L28ET but are discouraged becaused you can't find an engine through traditional auto parts sources. L28ETs are basically sourced from junkyards and you'll most likely have to source on from the US.

They believe stock power output of the VH45DE is actually closer to 300-315 hp and tq.

I mean no offense but, I'm sorry to hear that you're putting in a less superior engine. That VH45 is to die for. The thing is damn near race built from the factory and will handle just about whatever you throw at it. I don't want to start any flame wars or anything but its the truth. They are very awesome engines. One of Nissan's finest IMO.

Well Nissan-Fan, if you have access to what you say, then why don't you drop in a Toyota 7mgte? easy to find. lots of performance goodies, and no more difficult to wire than the L28et. OK OK you'd have to fabricate some motor and tranny mounts, but if your talking sr motors, then motor mounts should not be an issue either.

my 0.02 cents.

Well, MTCOOKSON, you've got me thinking it over again. I read your other thread about the motor, etc. and it does sound pretty good. Tell me, what else bolts on under the Z rather easy and what are the more difficult areas?

Comparing the swap to the 350 swap for instance, its a pretty difficult swap. I'd say really, the hardest part is just getting a manual tranny on there (if that's the way you want to go). Since none are made for it to anyones knowledge you either have to get a custom bell housing made or, for the trannies with a non-removable bell housing, a conversion plate which is what I'm doing and what a few others have done.

Once you get that done its your normal wiring and motor/tranny mount fabrication that you'd have to do with 99% of the other swaps, which shouldn't be all that difficult so to speak.

The only other problem area that I can forsee is the size of the oil pan and intake manifold might make the engine a bit tall for the Z... but I'm not sure. I'm planning on going dry sump myself, which will eliminate the oil pan situation (if there is one) and also allow me to set the engine lower if need be taking the intake manifold situation out of there (as above, if there is one).

I'm in the middle of the swap right now so I'll know more very soon. I FINALLY got the parts in that I needed to get the tranny setup on there so I'll be dropping by a machine shop to get a conversion plate made or I'll just do it myself possibly. I'm using the 300ZX Twin Turbo 5-speed tranny which doesn't have a removable bell housing (sucks) but, its a very very stout tranny proven to handle at least 600 hp without modification.

The VH45DE is a wonder. Stock it has 6 bolt mains, a massive girdle tieing all of the mains together as well as (from what I can tell) some massive cast steel caps holding the crank into place. It has sodium filled valves, stock. Produces in the range of 300-315 hp and tq stock and in the 90-93 engines actually peaks the power out two times in the power band (not something many engines accomplish)... Having had a Q45 I'm sure you know what I mean, how the thing will give you a nice tug two times in the same gear. Its a blast stock and with some big mods could make that very fun.

As I was saying above, these engines are nearly race built from the factory. They actually used a destroked version of this engine in, I believe, the R89C race car and they also use a variation of it in their Indy cars. Its closer to the newer VK45DE but that engine and the VH45DE are nearly the same.

There are guys making 600 hp or more on the stock block. One guy I know of was using a roots supercharger with nitrous making around 600 hp with no internal modifications. Another ran a 275 shot of nitrous, stock block. Another guy is running a twin turbo setup making 500 to 600 hp and that is in a Z32 (I believe his username is "lost" on here. http://www.freewebs.com/axepower). These are all on the stock, 10.2:1 compression ratio engine.

I don't believe they are even tapping the full potential of this engine. You get custom lower compression pistons, about 9:1 or so, turn up the boost and you could make some incredible power. I'd also either get some custom rods or, to keep costs down a bit, work with the stock rods a bit. They're already forged, as well as the crank. Stock pistons are cast so those might need to be replaced at a certain point (but that certain point is quite high). Might even toss in some oil squirters to hit the bottoms of the piston for some extra cooling. If that's not your style, then you could probably get by with some coated pistons.

Whichever way one were to choose, these engines have so much potential that the possibilities are nearly limitless.

Another Nissan engine I'd recommend is the VG30DETT. They are probably Nissan's second best engine in my opinion (yes, I believe they are truly better than Nissan's coveted RB26DETT. I'd probably rate that engine at 3rd). They are torque monsters all throughout the rev range yet can make gobs of top end power as well. On top of that, they are very, very strong. Plus, being a newer and highly modified engine there is lots of aftermarket support.

As a comparison, there's a post on here somewhere comparing a nearly equally modded VG30DETT to a RB26DETT. The RB made 13.4 more horsepower than the VG coming in at 759.9 hp at 7,820 rpm. (The VG did 746.5 hp at 6,550 rpm.) The VG made... get this... over 300 ft. lbs. of torque more than the RB coming in at 865.8 ft. lbs. tq to the RB's 543.2 ft. lbs. Not only did it make that much more, it peaked at 4550 rpm. The RB's peak torque was at 7,000 rpm.

The only real downside to the VG is the weight. It weighs even more than the VH45DE (which is natural since the VG has an iron block and the VH45 is all aluminum).

Hopefully this will help you make a more informed decision and not confuse you at all. If you have any questions on those just ask me because I love just studying these engines all of the time. The ones I really know best is the VG30E(T) and the VH45DE but I also have some good knowledge of a few other engines.

Most of all, good luck with whatever decision you make. icon14.gif

There's a reason noone does the vg30dett swap. Its way too hard to fit in there. I've only seen one completed, and godzilla has been working at his for how many years now? That being said, I'd like to know how much less difficult the swap would be with a single turbo on it.

Probably a lot less difficult with one turbo. You could do some slim manifolds coming to the front of the engine and hook them to a single turbo in the front (considering with a V engine you have a lot more room up there than with the inline). I'm planning on doing something similar with my VH45 swap as I find twin turbo setups to not really be that beneficial anymore.

With ball bearing turbos and such, spooling is pretty much equal between single turbo and twin turbo setups. On top of that, most single turbo setups tend to be more powerful plus you'll have less weight, less heat, and lower costs since you don't have to buy nearly two of everything needed in a turbo system.