HybridZ

Help! What brake options are available for S30 Z cars?

nm. i couldnt find it as a seperate sale on ross's site. auxilary u wrote 86-89 4x4 or 4runner caliper are required. but jmortensen in ur FAQ it says 89-95 4wd pickup or 89-91 4 Runner .... r they the same as long as they have the S12/S12w stamped on the side regardless of the year?

With regards to the rear disk conversions: What will be the status of the parking brakes with the different swaps?

I use the '82-'83 200SX rear caliper on my conversions. It bolts up to the Maxima bracket. The stock S30 ebrake cable connects to it and it comes out at a much better angle. Pad area is same as the '82-'83 280ZX calipers.

200sxcaliper.jpg

nm. i couldnt find it as a seperate sale on ross's site. auxilary u wrote 86-89 4x4 or 4runner caliper are required. but jmortensen in ur FAQ it says 89-95 4wd pickup or 89-91 4 Runner .... r they the same as long as they have the S12/S12w stamped on the side regardless of the year?

I was checking parts on partsamerica.com, and for 89 4runner is an s12w. for the 92 4runner it shows s13wb:

191600.jpg

this is the caliper shown for the 89 4runner v6:

191240.jpg

you can see the backwards stamped s12 on it (they mirrored the images, I guess).

jmortensen is correct, up until 91 4runner, the brakes were s12 series. in 92 they switched over to the s13wb. The 94 toyota pickup shows teh same s12 calipers

I use the '82-'83 200SX rear caliper on my conversions. It bolts up to the Maxima bracket. The stock S30 ebrake cable connects to it and it comes out at a much better angle. Pad area is same as the '82-'83 280ZX calipers.

did u use82-83 200sx calipers over the 280zx rotors?

Great effort Auxiliary! Kudo's to you for the work you did.

This started as a great thread, some of the ensuing short versed quick back/forth discussion has created some confusion perhaps. I believe Steve was referring to the 200SX calipers having improved ebrake angle vs. the 280ZX rear calipers. He was not IMO referring to our 240SX rear setup which has fine ebrake geometry as pictured here, no sharp ebrake angles whatsoever.

ebrakehookedup.jpg

I was checking parts on partsamerica.com' date=' and for 89 4runner is an s12w. for the 92 4runner it shows s13wb:

this is the caliper shown for the 89 4runner v6:

you can see the backwards stamped s12 on it (they mirrored the images, I guess).

jmortensen is correct, up until 91 4runner, the brakes were s12 series. in 92 they switched over to the s13wb. The 94 toyota pickup shows teh same s12 calipers[/quote']

so either one works? is there an advantage/disadvantage to either?

You can use either the 1982-83 280ZX rear rotor or the larger diameter 1984 300ZX rear rotor. However, to use 300ZX rear rotor you have to also use the caliper support part of the 1984-86 300ZX rear caliper with the ‘82-‘83 280ZX caliper and even then the diameter of the 300ZX rotor must be decreased slightly from 290mm to 284mm. This is still larger them the 1982-83 280ZX rear rotor.

The 300ZX caliper support piece is necesary because it positions the caliper further away from the hub centerline due to the larger diameter of the 300ZX rotor:

300zxbracket.jpg

The larger diameter of the 300ZX rotor increases brake torque and the using 300ZX caliper support piece increases the distance between the caliper and the axle. This is important if you are considering the CV axle swap.

so either one works? is there an advantage/disadvantage to either?

newer models may be a bit lighter. I do not have proof to back this up, but perhaps someone else does?

The S13W caliper is designed for a thicker rotor (25mm) than the S12W (which uses a 22mm thick rotor). As a result, the S13W is wider and heavier than the S12W. The piston area is the same between the two, but the S13W has about 10% more brake pad area.

The S12W caliper works with the 1984-88 Z31 rotor and second generation Maxima (1985-89) rotor. Finding a four lug OEM rotor to use with the S13W caliper has been a challenge. I have used the Saab 9000 rotor but it has to be machined to fit the hub and it also has turned on a lathe to reduce its outside diameter so it will fit under the S13W caliper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synlubes

“Does anyone know the diameter of the front 5 lug 300zx (z31) front rotors? “

10.9"

The spec is 274mm which is actually 10.8 inches. Sorry to be so picky but that's what engineers do :)

I have 15 inch rims on my car and theres barely any room between my stock brake calipers and the rim. I want to do the swap with the stock rotors, will they fit or will it hit the rim? And the calipers are s12w from an 86-89 toyota 4x4 correct? Thanks, I really dont wanna mess up.