HybridZ

Help! What brake options are available for S30 Z cars?

Thank you for your response. I assumed that any problems would have surfaced by now. A search of 240SX conversion problems before my post yeilded one case which you clearly explained as a low production casting variation.

I'll be placing my order soon. Hope to find nice pieces in the yard. Remans are $70+core each at the autoparts store!

You're welcome. We prove out our packages before production, only additional benefits typically arise with time. "low production casting variation" this was a Datsun OEM rear strut that was odd, not related to our own product which has been very consistent just to clarify for those that haven't done same research you have.

I'm not sure if you're pleased or shocked at the $70+core, that's a fine price for a rebuilt rear caliper. They're often not picky about cores received. This is your brakes, and a bit of dough is well invested here:) Like the old saying, a $50 helmet for a $50 head :-D

Interesting comment. Not to hijack the thread' date=' but this is a fascinating helmet article:

http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/

That is one hell of an article. I'm no scientist, but a lot of the article made sense to me, very logical. But I can't figure out why Snell has such a problem with the magazine.

I always thought the Snell rated helmets where the ones to get period. They seem, based on their president’s letter, to COMPLETELY IN THEIR OWN WORLD. And if anyone questions them they are dismissed like an annoying "Red Headed Step Child". Any organization that can't defend their position to someone who asks reasonable questions, IMO, does not deserve my consideration. And therefore leaves all of their rating subject to more scrutiny. Perhaps, we as consumers, have given them so much power to sway us, that they feel that they are beyond reproach.

Any one who claims to be looking out for our saftey must remain open to new ideas. But Snell seems to be stuck in the 1960's. I think they need a wake up call! :malebitch

think i might switch my current front 5lug setup and head into a much more expensive route. if someone can use it (all together, please) just PM me an offer. Dont want this to be a "for sale" ad, just posting it where it might prove most useful to someone undertaking this swap who doesnt want to deal with sourcing and cleaning all the parts as well as the $140 core charge for the 2 calipers and the time it took me to dimension and fabricate a better mounting/spacing solution (see my last post on this thread).

Z31 N/A 5lug front hubs very meticulously cleaned honed and painted black.

All front wheel bearings (freshly packed and in hub with mobil1 synthetic grease)

Brand new unloaded toyota 4x4 s12w calipers with custom aluminum spacers and new mounting hardware.

Stock used Z31 vented rotors (never bought new ones)

this setup fit perfectly on my 240z

http://siick.150m.com/brakes-front.html

fixed up hubs

http://iacs5.ucsd.edu/~jamarque/z31hubs.jpg

also for the rear i have a pair of 240sx calipers for the disc swap.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest trubluzedguy

mjfawke, I'm in Adelaide, am interested in your calipers. Running 18x9 soon to be 10's work wheels with z31 5 stud hubs. Anyone in Australia interested in doing the rear disk conversion, the r30 skyline wagon diff is the one to get your hands on. Caliper brackets are bolt on, rotor works, calipers work, and most importantly, your handbrake works. Happy hunting guys.

Guest trubluzedguy

Sorry guys, my first ever post, and I start off with giving misleading information. The rear disk setup is off an r31 skyline wagon, NOT the r30.

Sorry guys, my first ever post, and I start off with giving misleading information. The rear disk setup is off an r31 skyline wagon, NOT the r30.

No - you were correct the first time. R30 Skyline IRS with disc brakes, not R31 (live rear axle).

Rather than go down the Hilux caliper path, I'd buy the Hopper Stoppers kit (~$1200Au) which gives you 297mm dia./28mm thick rotors with a 2-pistons PBR slider. If they would fit behind my current wheels, I'd have bought it already, but I can't justify buying new wheels as well.

Guest trubluzedguy

I had a rear disk conversion done on a 240 a couple of years back, and the builder got me to source r31 wagon rear disk setup off live axle. These brackets are bolt on type, and were quite an easy fit. Try it, you might like it.

I had a rear disk conversion done on a 240 a couple of years back, and the builder got me to source r31 wagon rear disk setup off live axle. These brackets are bolt on type, and were quite an easy fit. Try it, you might like it.

Hmmm - it appears the R31 Skyline/Pintara setup bolts on as well, but need some minor mods. The R30 IRS disk brake rear end is a straight bolt on... but not as available. I'll have to have a closer look at the R31 setup.

• 2 months later...

In regards to the R31 wagon with live rear axle set up. I've found one at a local wrecker that I was going to hack into. How hard is it to take the bracket off once I remove the rotor? How is the bracket held in place, will I need to grind it off or is it bolted on???

Cheers

Sulio

• 3 weeks later...
I use the '82-'83 200SX rear caliper on my conversions. It bolts up to the Maxima bracket. The stock S30 ebrake cable connects to it and it comes out at a much better angle. Pad area is same as the '82-'83 280ZX calipers.

200SXcaliper.jpg

Has anyone else done this??? What rear disc brake was used with the conversion?? Also does anyone know what the year/make/model the 11.38" solid rotor is originally from so that I can get a lifetime warrenty from O'reilly's???

Here's my question... I used the 280zx rear disk brakes and made my own caliiper brakets. I'm wondering if there are any upgrades to the calipers that I can just bolt on at this point? Will these brakes be good enough for road racing? Thanks guys. Great thread!