HybridZ

Help! What brake options are available for S30 Z cars?

are you seriouse? i thought they were 260z rims. can you show were you got this information so i can be sure.

They're not Nissan wheels. 260Z's came with steel wheels and hubcaps like this:

72HubCap.JPG

See if you can find a brand name on them. They might be Western Wheels.

• 3 months later...

I am in the process of putting vented Toyota brakes on the front of my 78 LS1. I have the S12W calipers. I have one side put together except for the retaining springs for the brake pads. I have one clip in place to hold the retaining pins that pass through the caliper and the pads but there is a second clip that has me baffled. It is shaped like a capital M. Can anyone help me on this?

• 1 month later...

Hi, i've done a search and nothing seems to answer my dilemma in which I'm facing.

I bought a rear disc conversion kit off eBay from the user "Tinmonk" however... he provides very... inadequate post-sale service as i lost one of the brake guide clips and being in Australia, Nissan doesn't hold any parts for maxima prior to the 90's. Constantly emailing him the last 2 weeks with only 1 reply, then silence from him yet again.

The kit includes 280zx rotors, 85-86 Maxima calipers and mounting bracket. It's a direct bolt on.

Is it possible to change the caliper with a more common caliper found in Australia such as a 280zx or a 200sx, using that existing bracket? as just a bolt in? or does modifications need to be done?

The bracket can be found here. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-rear-disc-conversion-brackets_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42614QQihZ007QQitemZ170258185312QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The kit that i bought can be found here. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-rear-disc-conversion-brackets_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42614QQihZ007QQitemZ170258185312QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Am i out of luck?

Hi, i've done a search and nothing seems to answer my dilemma in which I'm facing.

I bought a rear disc conversion kit off eBay from the user "Tinmonk" however... he provides very... inadequate post-sale service as i lost one of the brake guide clips and being in Australia, Nissan doesn't hold any parts for maxima prior to the 90's. Constantly emailing him the last 2 weeks with only 1 reply, then silence from him yet again.

The kit includes 280zx rotors, 85-86 Maxima calipers and mounting bracket. It's a direct bolt on.

Is it possible to change the caliper with a more common caliper found in Australia such as a 280zx or a 200sx, using that existing bracket? as just a bolt in? or does modifications need to be done?

The bracket can be found here. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-rear-disc-conversion-brackets_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42614QQihZ007QQitemZ170258185312QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The kit that i bought can be found here. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-rear-disc-conversion-brackets_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42614QQihZ007QQitemZ170258185312QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Am i out of luck?

Can you post an image or link an image of one of the guide clips? You aught to be able to get a "hardware kit" for the specific caliper from your local parts store. They usually aren't too expensive.

I would be willing to send you the parts if your sure you cant get them down there. I just need more info .....part number.....to make sure you the the right parts.

But as WizardBlack says....they should be available from the aftermarket.

Hi guys, thanks for the help. I managed to order a used set from US. Costed an arm and a leg but its the quickest solution since the 280zx calipers won't link up to that bracket.

I guess i'll have to offload this kit to my friend later when i want to upgrade to willwoods. Sadly AZC doesn't do the handbrake type rear conversion. But however an aussie has done it and his now finalising it to start selling it. It uses the spot caliper for the handbrake and doesn't intermingle with the main rear caliper.

Hey fufu

I would be very interested in knowing more about this Aussi handbrake setup....please share more.

I guess i'll have to offload this kit to my friend later when i want to upgrade to willwoods. Sadly AZC doesn't do the handbrake type rear conversion. But however an aussie has done it and his now finalising it to start selling it. It uses the spot caliper for the handbrake and doesn't intermingle with the main rear caliper.

Hey fufu

I would be very interested in knowing more about this Aussi handbrake setup....please share more.

Hi Jerryb,

more details can be found at this web address:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,2915.0.html

AutoCad Pics on page 2 on that thread.

Physical Prototype pics can be found here:

displayimage.php?pid=2192&fullsize=1

As you may guess the cost is a bit expensive at the moment because... in Australia we don't have that many companies that do CNC work as compared with where most of you guys live.

We had another group buy organised for AZC package a while back but due to not being able to use existing hand brake, it didn't fall through.

But this will be an answer to a lot of us whom wish to upgrade to wilwoods however keeping the mechanical handbrake design.

• 1 month later...

Z31 N/A 5lug front hubs very meticulously cleaned honed and painted black.

All front wheel bearings (freshly packed and in hub with mobil1 synthetic grease)

Does stock S30 front wheel bearing work with this z31 hub, or do i need something else?

Does stock S30 front wheel bearing work with this z31 hub, or do i need something else?

Yes, provided the Z31 hubs are the non-turbo ones. If so, then the front wheel bearings are the same so they will work. The issue is what (inner) seal to use. This thread has some seal part numbers, but I have not verified if they will work or not:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=122054

Yes, provided the Z31 hubs are the non-turbo ones. If so, then the front wheel bearings are the same so they will work. The issue is what (inner) seal to use. This thread has some seal part numbers, but I have not verified if they will work or not:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=122054

Ok, Thank you. I´m buying -85 non-turbo z31 hubs.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks alot... Just another question, does the zcarnut's spacer bring the hub face past (or same level) as the caliper.

Just want to know because this one doesnt4piston1.sized.jpg

and will not allow me to use my current wheels without an additional adapter.

Thanks

does the zcarnut's spacer bring the hub face past (or same level) as the caliper?

No. The ROTOR spacer does not change the hub face at all from its stock position, relative to the caliper. This spacer pushes the rotor "back" or "inboard".

If you need clearance "outboard" from the caliper, then you need to look at WHEEL spacers.