HybridZ

Help! What brake options are available for S30 Z cars?

You can reuse the little S shaped brake line that comes off the stock caliper and attach that to a standard 240 Z brake line. That's what I did. The other option is to get a brake line that plugs into the caliper directly with a male end then has the female end for the attachment to the hard line on the frame. I haven't done it that way, but there isn't any reason it shouldn't work that I can see. You might be better off with an angled piece that comes off the caliper. I think you'll need to look at your car to see which is better.

I'm still wondering about the ss lines, though. Can I buy some ss lines for a Z and then use adapter fittings to fit it to Toyota calipers and the hard lines still on the Z? Or, would I get ss lines for Toyota calipers and use adapters to fit onto the Z? Thank you in advance!

I'm still wondering about the ss lines, though. Can I buy some ss lines for a Z and then use adapter fittings to fit it to Toyota calipers and the hard lines still on the Z? Or, would I get ss lines for Toyota calipers and use adapters to fit onto the Z? Thank you in advance!
For my '73, I bought a set of SS lines from MSA fitted for the Z, and they bolted to the Toyota 4x4 calipers just fine. The other end connected to the existing hard line with no issues.

Just like I said. If you reuse the little S hard line that will plug into the Toy caliper, then you can use the Datsun stainless line. If you don't want to reuse the S shaped hard line, then you need the 10mm female fitting for the frame side, and a male 10mm fitting for the caliper side.

Perhaps a picture will help. Look at the top of the frame. You can see the banjo fitting of the SS line on the left where it attaches to the caliper, and the female fitting on the right where it connects to the existing hard line. The only thing between them is the SS line itself.

Sorry it's not framed better, I was guessing holding the camera under the car.

P1020288 (Medium)_thumb.JPG

That does help. We apparently have different calipers. Mine were the solid rotor version, and they took a normal bubble flare type of connection. Your's obviously take the banjo fitting. Sorry, I guess I ASSumed they all used the same fitting.

Guest EliZZa

You can buy the maxima brackets at the nissan dealership for 75$ a pair, I bought 2 pair about 6 months ago when I did the 280zx conversion on my car. It's so much easier then finding a scrapped maxima and ripping it apart with no air tools.

I love air tools....I need a truck with an compressor in the engine bay..

Guest harveje

Do you have the part # handy?

Thanks,

You can buy the maxima brackets at the nissan dealership for 75$ a pair' date=' I bought 2 pair about 6 months ago when I did the 280zx conversion on my car. It's so much easier then finding a scrapped maxima and ripping it apart with no air tools.

I love air tools....I need a truck with an compressor in the engine bay..[/quote']

I have done the brake conversion with the Toyota calipers, and they do brake much better than the stock rotors but the issue I have is that they lock much easier. At this point im kinna scared to drive fast in my Z because I had to stop suddenly on the freeway when some ******* cut me off and the brakes locked. I slid and began going to one side and then to the other. Luckily I was able to gain control but it was a really close call.

This happens everytime I speed and have to suddenly stop, the only difference is that I know its coming so I try to be carefull. I'm almost thinking of trying another approach to the brake system. Any recommendations?

...I had to stop suddenly on the freeway when some ******* cut me off and the brakes locked. I slid and began going to one side and then to the other. Luckily I was able to gain control but it was a really close call.
That sure sounds like your rear brakes locked before your fronts. Not sure why that would be when you put more powerful brakes up front. Still, I'd focus on my rear drums being too tight, or perhaps a problem with the front brake installation such as air still in the lines.

you need less effort to push two pistons than four, so this would give more power to the rear.
Not true: you need less VOLUME for 2 pistons vs. 4. For a given level of pressure, the 4 piston caliper with its greater piston area will exert MORE force on the pads/rotor than the 2 piston caliper.

FWIW, I have the same combo on my 73 and my fronts lock first everytime. Perhaps the proportioning valve has failed and is not reducing pressure to the rear anymore?