HybridZ

Help! What brake options are available for S30 Z cars?

• 2 weeks later...

After a little poking around, I found the S12+8 calipers were standard on the Landcruiser from 1981-1987. I've found them online for about $50. Apparently all the 4X4 PUs use the S12 and S12W variant.

• 1 month later...

BJ,

On option 3 of your brake scenarios... are you sure that the bracket is the flat Maxima instead of the offset version? I ask because I noticed that zcarnut posted a picture showing what I believe are the 200SX calipers and the offset bracket (post #25). This picture shows the caliper in the 9:00 position which I believe is consistent with the offset bracket (I think the flat bracket puts the calipers in the 11:00 / 1:00 position?)

Thanks!

Jay

The 200SX calipers were a set that I could not find in the JY.

I could not mock this up so I am not sure which caliper bracket they used.

The flat bracket puts the calipers at an angle. So the 200SX conversion might use the offset bracket.

BJ,

Which junkyard were you searching? I have a set of '83 200SX rear calipers i got out at Nines - welcome to mock them up. Also, there is what appears to be a 200SX circle track car out there now that would have the same rear calipers.

Hehe.. I saw that POS. I could not get either rear wheel off of it. The lugs spun in both hubs. I didn't bring a cutting torch with me. That was one poorly put together race car. I thought it was a demolition derby reject.

The 200SX calipers were a set that I could not find in the JY.

I could not mock this up so I am not sure which caliper bracket they used.

The flat bracket puts the calipers at an angle. So the 200SX conversion might use the offset bracket.

The 200SX calipers require using the Maxima (44155-04S10) brackets. The 200SX caliper is very similar to the later 280ZX rear caliper (same offset and same pads) but the piston area is smaller and the parking brake lever is at a different angle.

Mine is a s130 luckly. Either way ive come accros another way to do this. 5x114 trailer hubs.. I can get them thru work cheep. Everything is the same dimensions on them bearing placement. The bearings are the same ect. just 5x114. So ill be modding them to fot the maxima rotor on the back face. :D

Zmanco, Was this the post you were referring too? I cant find any other posts in this thread where someone is talking about upgrading the front brakes on a 280zx.

I am vary sorry if it is clearly stated somewhere, but i am having trouble finding the correct information.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday a friend of mine told me that he has a set of 4-piston front calipers from his own S14 (he's replacing them with Brembos from the Z33). I've been told that the European S14s has the same aluminum calipers as the NA Z32. It might be difficult to source a set of Toyota calipers here, and even if I did, I would have to fabricate the brackets. Is it worth to install the S14 calipers in a 240Z? Are the S14 240SX calipers the same as in European cars? Please don't blame me if the info was posted before - I've searched through the whole forum and found nothing.

• 3 months later...

I'm sure someone has mentioned it but 9 pages is a lot of sore eyes and a big migraine to read through LOL, was just wondering if anyone does a bracket to adapt r32/33 calipers with the correct rotor and/or spacer.

There is an abundance of these and best of all it looks more factory with the Nissan logo on your brakes.

Thanks in advance

Stef

I've found a disagreement between the FAQs, and would like to bring them to Alex's/Jon's attention:

Using '85-'88 maxima rear caliper brackets (from page 1 of this thread)

versus

The rear wheel drive Maxima (79-83?) had a rear disk brake bracket which could be used on the rear of a first gen Z and would allow the 82-83 280ZX rear rotor and caliper to bolt directly on. (from Jon's FAQ http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103767 )

I've been in contact with Courtesy Nissan, and it appears the RWD brackets are still available new for $55/ea

Guest RobCR

I tried to read the whole thing, everyone talks about first gen Z's and such, all the kits I've seen are for 78 79z cars, or 280z's, I own a 280ZX 2+2 and had a problem with one of my calipers, thing is I have to change it and cant find any stock 280zx calipers where I live (costa rica, central america) and they are far beyond rebuilding, are the toyota 4x4 ones bolt on too for the 1983 280ZX 2+2? because I've seen a lot of parts with a "works for 1980 - 1983 280ZX (except 2+2)"

Guest RobCR

none taken, my mistake, I think this was linked in another post (the brake FAQ's perhaps), so maybe i got confused, sorry about that

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I missing somewhere the information about 5 lug rear disc brake options? I've searched this thread and most of HybridZ and am trying to piece together bits of info.

One thing that help me out a great deal to know is if the 4-lug solid rear disc 300ZX rotors and the the 5-lug rear 300ZX rear rotors are the same offset and diameter.

I already have a disc brake conversion but it has a 4-lug non-vented, cross-drilled 300ZX rear rotor (11", I think).