HybridZ

My project car... RB26 Drag 300zx

Z32POWER.com

How's this for a first post:

I am building a street legal drag car here in the USA. About 6 years ago my car started out as a bone stock, non-turbo, 300zx convertible. I bought the car with plans to convert it to a slightly modded twin-turbo car. Well, that happened, and it wasnt enough, so I put in a built motor with a large single turbo on the VG30DE(TT). Well, that turned out to be not enough yet again, and now I am putting in a monster of a setup. I gave up the .4 liters of displacement for an outstanding rev-range with the RB26.

I was wondering if anyone in australia has used a GT47 on their built RB26... if so, power levels, spool, etc... My motor is going to rev out to 12,000 rpm, so I should have plenty of powerband.

Car information:

1. Modifications List

2. Project Pictures

3. Link to project cars overview page

4. GT47-80 Turbo Specs

Some pics:

2.jpg

4.jpg

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

turbo002.jpg

P1010006.JPG

Looks like a weapon.

Street car? You're joking. Hehe..

What times has it run?

Dave

originally i was planning on keeping it streetable, now, with the backhalve, high stall converter, and the fact I am probably going to need a funnycar hoop (cage around driver area since the car is a convertible) I am going to rarely drive it on the street.

In pennsylvania, as long as you have a muffler, headlights, tailights, wipers, turn signals, etc. and drive it under 5k miles a year, it is emissions exempt and road legal.

The car is still in progress, will run it spring 06

Guest JAMIE T

Very nice! What stall are you planning for it? Stony and James are the only guys on this forum who are building drag only cars with the RB26. Stony is running a 'glide. He's doing a 260Z. James is doing a 240SX. I'm doing a 240Z, but it's using stick shift. I'm not back-halving my car but I am putting 300ZXTT rear diff and axles and hubs.

Guest JAMIE T

You will need a funny-car cage, and it must be SFI approved to 7.50's. I can't remember the rule number, but you will want to consult he NHRA tech guide.

For a stall converter, you'll want a minimum of 5500, probably 6000-6500. Your converter builder should be able to re-stall what ever you start with. It's really all about tuning. You won't get it right on the first try. It'll be fast, but the right converter will make all the differance. It looks amazing. You'll be well over the 1000hp mark for sure.

You will need a funny-car cage' date=' and it must be SFI approved to 7.50's. I can't remember the rule number, but you will want to consult he NHRA tech guide.

For a stall converter, you'll want a minimum of 5500, probably 6000-6500. Your converter builder should be able to re-stall what ever you start with. It's really all about tuning. You won't get it right on the first try. It'll be fast, but the right converter will make all the differance. It looks amazing. You'll be well over the 1000hp mark for sure.[/quote']

stall is 6500

Welcome to the site. sounds like you and I have almost the same goals. Especially the ready for the road time. Im shooting for somewhere in the 9s to hi 8s.

Anyways keep us posted and goodluck with your build.

your build sounds very similar... cool stuff, i saw some videos of your car here before

i'll keep this thread updated

You realize that ATI Performance products sells the tranny adapter which includes and SFI Approved Flexplate and you can also purchase their custom 8" race converter.

I opted to go with the turbo 350 with my setup which should arrive next week.

What is the scoop regarding the 2JZ lifters(buckets)? Any info is appreciated.

You realize that ATI Performance products sells the tranny adapter which includes and SFI Approved Flexplate and you can also purchase their custom 8" race converter.

I opted to go with the turbo 350 with my setup which should arrive next week.

What is the scoop regarding the 2JZ lifters(buckets)? Any info is appreciated.

I'm not sure but i think the ATI adapter maintains the rb slate. the adapter he is using (custom) sets the motor striaght up. I'm alaso pretty sure that as long as the thinkness of the adapter is maintained... that any of the adapter kits flexpates will work.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...