HybridZ

!!HELP!! Electrical issue 1977 280z

zemus

We know for a fact that the alternator is working, we know the voltage regulator is good ( its brand new ) When reinstalling both of these things their were some weird thing that looks like a capacitor (never seen somthing like this before) I cant figure out where to bolt this, or wonder if it was ever even plugged in. When we try to run the car it hardly holds a charged, it runs but idles at 500rpms. Ive been told possabily its a ground issues, I know the battery is newer, and when the ignition key is off, when tested on the voltmeter it says its at 12volts, but when its running it was down to 10volts. It seems like the alternator wasent working, but it was testing and it is still good. Does anyone have anything that could help me. Im extreamly frusterated and I need to have my car ready..

Thanks you

Matt

Do you have a volt meter? Check the output of the alternator right at the main output post. The one with the large gauge wire. I thinks its white with a red stripe. You should get 14 volts if the atl is charging.How is the ground at the battery? I would check also the ground wires at the passanger side frame rail. Most of the grounds in the engine bay go there. How did you check the alternater? You should also have a constant 12 volts at the small white wire to the regulater and a switched 12 volts to the black w/ white stripe wire, also at the regulator.

The little "capacitor thing" (its not a capacitor) attaches to the alternator, but I don't think it should affect the charging. There should be a small bracket with it that bolts to the backside and a wire that connects to the alternator. And if I remember correctly the 280z alternator was internally regulated (at least mine was on my '75). Double check your wiring diagrams and make sure the alternator is wired correctly, also check the water level in your battery (if applicable), check the belt tension on the alternator and check your fuses. Hope this helps. Good luck :)

• 1 year later...
Guest jinsei888
The little "capacitor thing" (its not a capacitor) attaches to the alternator, but I don't think it should affect the charging. There should be a small bracket with it that bolts to the backside and a wire that connects to the alternator. And if I remember correctly the 280z alternator was internally regulated (at least mine was on my '75). Double check your wiring diagrams and make sure the alternator is wired correctly, also check the water level in your battery (if applicable), check the belt tension on the alternator and check your fuses. Hope this helps. Good luck :)

My little capacitor looking thing on the alternator broke off...wtf is it and how can i replace it? I don't even wanna start the car without that thing put back on... the wire that connects to it broke exactly at the neck of the capacitor looking thing...i cant even have enough wire poking out to solder it back together........damnit