HybridZ

N/A sr20???

olie05

I'm getting close to closing this thread. You guys need to stop making such absolute statements about this engine vs. that engine without bringing tech to back up your assertions. And when I mean tech, you need links to third party stuff, not just your own opinion.

I realise your point. And thus I'm not going to take my argument any farther becuase I realise that I havn't supplied any proof or data. So I'll leave them as opinions.

Thanks for kicking us down to reality john.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from the US EPA.

A 1992 automatic Eagle Talon' date=' 2.0 NA gets 22 city/27 highway

A 1992 automatic Eagle Talan, 2.0 Turbo gets 18 city/21 highway

The ONLY difference between the cars is one is turbo the other isn't. Both are 4G63's, both weigh the same, both have the same drivewheels, both have the same cD[/quote']

Those EPA estimates are just that. A guess by the EPA of fuel economy for a particular car based on engine size, weight, transmission and possibly aspiration. The estimate does not necessarily bear much relationship to actual fuel economy for that particular car. It is based on similar cars of the same engine size, transmission and weight. I guess this means that in the EPA's experience, similarly equipped vehicles get better gas mileage without a turbo. I don't know whether this holds true for all vehicles or just for the vehicles which the EPA tested prior to 1992.

Those EPA estimates are just that. A guess by the EPA of fuel economy for a particular car based on engine size, weight, transmission and possibly aspiration.

That's not true. EPA estimates are based on a very specific dynamometer test done at the National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory in Ann Arbor. These tests are designed for comparing the fuel economy of one vehicle to another and are very accurate and repeatable when used in relative comparisons.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

I dont know about that projectrb240sx was making 252whp and getting 25-30mpg with boosting every now and then. We had a customer with an L28 e31 head with triple mikunis making 250whp and he said he was getting around 12-15mpg.

Is that customer me, Alex? Anyway I've had the L28 triple carbed on an E31 head in my '73, and I've had the SR20DET replacing that. From my standpoint the SR reigns supreme. I'm not knocking the KA however, I've owned a 240SX and had bolt-ons on the KA and it was pretty potent. I've also owned an Acura Integra which was eventually turbocharged using the Greddy kit, and I might still have gas receipts proving that my MPG improved upon forced induction. Anyway I think the KA is a viable option for real power.

My car sould be back out within a week. Look for me at the Irwindale or palmdale drags whooping on my brothers turbo Integra. Then I gotta get my points card. I shall tame the turbo beast.