HybridZ

Fiberglass Interior Door Panels

DavyZ

How about a full fiberglass interior door panel with several speaker holes? I'm guaging interest since I have come across a fellow who is already producing them for other car(s) and the Z is the next best bet.

I'm sure that the 240Z and early 260Z door panels are the same, but I have never looked at the late model 260Z. I suspect that the late 260Z and 280Z are roughly the same---anyone with a late model 260Z (big bumper) want to confirm that?

Also, anyone in the SF Bay Area that has a 280Z door that I can borrow for a length of time for fabbing? I'm supplying the 240Z doors for the prototype.

The advantage of the fiberglass panel is 1) cost of OEM sucks 2) the speaker holes will be in the correct places so no cutting up the metal of the door itself and 3) they look really cool whether you paint them or cover them.

Davy

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd Love To Have That For My 280zx ...

280ZX is not a consideration yet---at least we have not discussed it yet, sorry. I'm trying to get a 280Z door here locally from someone to help him fab an interior door panel for it.

Corzette, I'll keep you in mind when he fabs them up. I'll make sure that there is a post for sale in the for sale section or vendor's section. As I said, he already makes them for other cars and this is the next progression. I do think there would be a market for this product for Z's....at least the S30's.

Davy

In thought, this would be a good idea, but if you really think about how much clearence from the stock (card board) panel and the position of where you leg would be, that wouldn't give you all that much room to work with. Thats if you're thinking about do something like one of those show cars at CES or something. With these cars I just think that a fiberglass replacement would work best and not go to crazy with the speaks and "add-ons".

Im working on a carbon set right now. Nothing fancy, jsut a carbon sheet contoured to the door. Ive made the fiberglass molds of the door fpr my plugs. Im gonna try and reuse the metal and bond the carbon piece to that with a 4" strip of vynal or leather on the top to finsih it off. Wont be finsihed for a month or so though i got lots of other stuff im workin on.

I think it would be awesome if somebody made these, especially in carbon. If its gonna be in glass why not lay a sheet of carbon for the first layer??

I'm sure that the 240Z and early 260Z door panels are the same' date=' but I have never looked at the late model 260Z. I suspect that the late 260Z and 280Z are roughly the same---anyone with a late model 260Z (big bumper) want to confirm that?

[/quote']

The early 260z have the same door panels as the 280z. only the 240z is different from what i've noticed

Hey Davy, is this the same guy from stricktly 510? If so I'm in for a set for a 240z. His 510 panels look really clean and it would be so sweet to have a real home for fron speakers! How soon can I order.

Yes, it is the same guy. And yes, from the pictures his panels look great. I emailed him about the possibility of making panels for the 240Z, 260Z, and 280Z. The speaker placements are great and he makes a clean raised portion for the speakers to nest in.

I'm thinking they can be covered in CF too :mrgreen:

Image3.JPG

This is a mockup of the 510 door. The Z door panel would probably be something similar. The great thing is not having to sacrifice your good OEM door panels and just use this for speaker mounting. I have some unmolested OEM panels I do not want to cut up, nor do I really want to use my other cut-to-ribbons-panel-set either. This would be a great alternative.

Loy, thanks for the info about the doors. Now if I can just find someone nearby with a 280Z door they can loan me...

Davy

Look at my photo album. My 6 1/2" component speakers ahve been molded in and I'll tell you know that this is not a simple issue. First you have to correctly design the clip mounts on the back to attach it to the door, ensure that the speakers will clear the arc of the window crank, that a higher up speaker doesn't get involved with the top of the dash and - on the drivers side - you have to clear the hood release lever. Lot's of things to consider here. Oh yeah - and you'll need to allow room for whatever fabric, sound deadening material yu may want to cover it with.

Look at what's down there on both sides. It was totally out of the question in my car. ON the drivers side it would have covered either the stock ECu or the AutoX speedometer dirve and the left foot rest and on the passenger side would have covered the fuse panel.