HybridZ

Fiberglass Interior Door Panels

DavyZ

PDR_0224.JPG

PDR_0225.JPG

PDR_0226.JPG

PDR_0227.JPG

These are the latest photos and they give a pretty good visual of what the finished panels will look like despite this being only roughed in with plaster at the moment. The speaker looks rather diminutive but it is actually a 6.5". I may end up having to get another sacrificial 240Z door panel *ugh*.

Davy

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any chance of getting them in CF without the speaker hump?

No...at least not yet. Due to the price (and my friend's lack of experience with CF), I doubt he'll offer it in CF. The panels will be smooth fiberglass and will most likely remain as such from my friend. The reason is that so many people have different preferences for a finished door panel (paint, vinyl, leather, CF, Kevlar/CF mix, etc). Better to offer a simpler product at first and then go from there. I'll post more pictures as the progression continues.

Davy

DavyZ, the panels look like they're coming along nicely. Thanks for following through with this project for us! I MIGHT be able to scrounge up another door panel for the cause. Does it need to be driver/pass side?

Thanks a million, Jaime, you're true old school cool. I'm not sure about which side he needs, but I'll find out and let you know. Thanks again!!!

Davy

What kind of price are you looking at for the FG ones anyways?

I think on the second page of the posting we mentioned just under $200 for both. I'd like to keep it under $200 for the Z crowd, but it is totally up to Pete. I think he'll be OK at or below what we're talking about.

Davy

How much would a fiberglass interior door panel cost without the hump?

I am thinking simple' date=' very simple.[/quote']

If you mean with out the speaker provision...well, the mold is made up for one WITH the speaker since no S30 panels came that way. If he want to fab up something "stock" then I imagine it will be about the same price. The danger he would run into is far less demand for a plain Jane panel. I'll talk to him about it though.

Davy

I think those are looking very nice, but putting an arm rest would be a nice place to place like a tweeter speaker and allow for power switches for like power windows, locks, and door poppers. Just some ideas based on what I have done and what I am working on. But I do really like the results.

One question is would the speaker bulge interfer with leg room in any way. I am 6' 8" tall and leg room is very important.

Davyz' date='

They look fantastic.

Are you going to intergrate armrests as well?

If so I'll take a pair.

Mike.[/quote']

i had made the same suggestion.. i think heavy consideration need to be given to adding armrests. it would be a shame to have these great looking door panels and have to add the very plain and unexciteing stock armrests. the provision for the tweeter should be up higher in the far upper corner opposite where the mirror would mount. would be easier for the end user to add his or her own surface mounted tweeter. i am very excited about the door panels and can't wait to get my hands on a pair for my 71 240Z.....thanks to all who are bringing this project closer to reality....

i had made the same suggestion.. i think heavy consideration need to be given to adding armrests. it would be a shame to have these great looking door panels and have to add the very plain and unexciteing stock armrests. the provision for the tweeter should be up higher in the far upper corner opposite where the mirror would mount. would be easier for the end user to add his or her own surface mounted tweeter. i am very excited about the door panels and can't wait to get my hands on a pair for my 71 240Z.....thanks to all who are bringing this project closer to reality....

Yes, you did make that suggestion. I'll talk to him about it, but I can't guarantee anything. The mold is getting more and more complicated with each thing added, but I'll ask him about that.

Davy

I think those are looking very nice' date=' but putting an arm rest would be a nice place to place like a tweeter speaker and allow for power switches for like power windows, locks, and door poppers. Just some ideas based on what I have done and what I am working on. But I do really like the results.

One question is would the speaker bulge interfer with leg room in any way. I am 6' 8" tall and leg room is very important.[/quote']

I don't think the bulge will interfere much at all---remember that the door panel is not completely flat and it curves into the car at the bottom---the speaker bulge you see becomes more shallow to the bottom and really doen't protrude out much into the car from the door itself. That said, I will eventually post pics with a speaker mounted so that will give everyone an idea if that will work for them or not.

Davy

im good for a pair if there are arm rests.

I spoke to him and he'll incorporate armrests only after the intial run without armrests is made. I don't have a time or date for that. First things first and we'll get some feedback from the members who want the simpler panel first.

Davy