Fiberglass Interior Door Panels

DavyZ

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here are the ones I made for my zx. They had another set of speakers above and a little further back. But someone broke into my car and tore up the whole interior ripping them out. (Along with 1,200.00 worth of other audio equipment!) The crack across the top is from the pressure of them pulling the other speakers off. The color is just tinted primer. The other pic is of a consol from a suburban that I mounted to the roof. I also relocated my power window switches to it.:mrgreen:

Definately like that. I was originally thinking of mounting my head unit like that, but wasn't sure how to mount it without putting a screw through my roof. Also mines has t-tops

• 3 weeks later...

The door skins and arm rest/handles look great!

Just a question out of curiosity: If you put a 6.5" speaker in that hole that is capable of really moving air, how is that panel going to handle it? Has it been tested at all for rattles and buzzing? I can't tell how thick it is, but while car audio is not that high on my priority list, I really do hate the secondary noise and do everything I can to eliminate it.

I don't advertise or market that much anymore, there just isnt enough interest in the product. Sure I have the molds and I can make you a set (hell I still have 3 sets left over) for anyone thats seriously interested in ordering.

As far as the previous post goes with the question re: vibrating and sound quality, I installed a set of the original designed panels for the 510 over two years ago. The sound quality far exceeds anything in the flat factory panel and I've personally removed and inspected and reinstalled speaker upgrades to the same car and the Fiberglass is holding up very well. Think about it like this: The new Corvette body is almost all fiberglass and Im sure it takes a beating. Fiberglass is tough stuff when layed properly

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Well I made these for one of the forum members here, he should be getting them this week. They turned out pretty good, in the pics theyre wet sanded and have standing water on them but they did get a few coats of clear before they shipped and looked pretty similar to the wet spots you see here.

P1010422_thumb.JPG

P1010423_thumb.JPG

P1010424_thumb.JPG

P1010426_thumb.JPG

P1010427_thumb.JPG

The Fiberglass panels are $230 and the CF Upgrade is $390. The price difference is soley based up the fact that raw CF is $80 a yard. However at that price I won't clear coat or wet sand, thats extra. My paint guy charges me 50 to clear both panels with prep.

Even with the T-top there is a structural pc of metal support running under the head-liner. You should have plenty of metal to screw through without hitting the roof but you have to be very careful about the length of the screws you use!

Then sounds like us first gen guys won't be doing this mod anytime soon. :(