HybridZ

still not running...

Hashi

Well, my car('78 280Z) is still not running, even after I put a new feul pump on it. See, it won't start, well... it will with starting fluid in the intake, but only for a short time. So I figured that it was the fuel pump, because I am getting spark, but no fuel. Well, two days ago I installed the fuel pump, but it was a no. The only thing I can think that is still a problem would be the fuel pump relay. Also, my friend Tyler is trying to scare me with the idea of my valves being burnt because my exhaust is cut short. He says that his '70-something VW van's valves are burnt really bad from him doing the same and it will not start either. And this whole ordeal was caused by me drifting. And I know that floating at a high rpm can cause damage... Is it possible that I have burnt my valves to a point that it will no longer start? What do you guys think?

it is not likely that you burnt a valve with your open exhaust. Lots of cars use open exhaust and they're all fine.

However. It is possible that you floated something with overreving the engine, although you probably would have heard it happen. It's not a pretty sound.

It could be a bad ground on the fuel pump. Do you hear the pump turn on at all? Have you tried wiring the pump up directly to the battery to make sure it turns on and everything? Wire it to a switch, that sometimes will allow you to drive the car around. :) If the pump isn't getting power, there's only a few things that could be wrong.

Well, my car('78 280Z) is still not running, even after I put a new feul pump on it. See, it won't start, well... i

78 huh, try this, leave the switch on and unplug the oil pressure sending unit and listen for the pump to come on. If it does, hop in the car and try to start it. If that works, replace the sending unit.

Good luck,

Jason

Guest 73Turbo240z

have you done the basics? verified the presense/absence of both fuel and spark?

pull a plug wire, hold it near the tip of the plug, have someone turn it over, if it arc's, your missing fuel, if it doesn't, your now missing spark as your problem or in addition to fuel.

for fuel, pull the vacuum hose leading to your FPR, does fuel come out of it? does it smell of fuel? there should be no fuel inside of that line at all as it's purely a vacuum drawn diaphram, if there is fuel, you've got a bad FPR and are probally getting bad pressure as a result.

test w/ the 9v to the injectors to verify each works.

turn the car to full auxillary 3 times in a row w/ out actually going to the full "engine start" position, on the 4th time, turn the key all the way to engine start, each time listen for the fuel pump to prime, if you cannot hear it, stick someone closer to the pump and try again, if still niether of you hear it, check the fuel pump wiring/voltage, could be mis-wired or a gimp pump. if it does prime/sound... move on

fuel filter, pull it and blow through it, it should allow air to pass easily through either end, if there is restriction you've got a clogged fuel filter, replace and try again.

thats all i can think of off the top of my head, excuse the sporatic posts, still haven't had any coffee

Here is a trick that works on some but for some reason, not all to see if the fuel pump is running.

Take the boot off the air flow meter. and turn the key to the "on" position but don't start it.

Take your hand and push in on the flap inside the AFM and see of you can hear the fuel pump running.

Here is a trick that works on some but for some reason' date=' not all to see if the fuel pump is running.

Take the boot off the air flow meter. and turn the key to the "on" position but don't start it.

Take your hand and push in on the flap inside the AFM and see of you can hear the fuel pump running.[/quote']

Doesn't work on 78's, see my oil pressure sending unit trick above, it's the same thing.....

Jason